4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2001, 08:27 AM

I am getting a loud squeel sound from the left side of the motor (left if you are looking at the motor). It does not squeel at start up. The car needs to be warm. The sound is only at idle. You give it any gas the noise goes away. Nissan says it is the water pump. I don't agree. If it is the pump it should be noisy at all speeds and at all engine temps. It is not a belt as the car has been run with them off. The noise is comming (I think) from around the drive pully (The seal behind the pully has been changed). Any ideas would be great.
Old 01-29-2001, 08:56 AM
BlkCat

So you're getting the squeal even with the belt off?

Old 01-29-2001, 10:28 AM

Yes, even with the belts off
Old 01-29-2001, 11:13 AM

Sound location technique

Originally posted by 95Max
I am getting a loud squeel sound from the left side of the motor (left if you are looking at the motor). It does not squeel at start up. The car needs to be warm. The sound is only at idle. You give it any gas the noise goes away. Nissan says it is the water pump. I don't agree. If it is the pump it should be noisy at all speeds and at all engine temps. It is not a belt as the car has been run with them off. The noise is comming (I think) from around the drive pully (The seal behind the pully has been changed). Any ideas would be great.
It is important to identify the source of the noise. A four-foot length of small diameter rubber vacuum hose will help you do this. You can buy the hose in any auto parts store. They typically sell it in bulk for about US$0.50 per foot. Start the engine and let it idle. Put one end of the hose in your ear and the other end near any suspected source of noise. The engine compartment presents a cacophony of sound. The benefit of the hose
is that it isolates the sound from one specific area. Work safely! Avoid contact with any moving parts!

You may find it interesting to explore the sounds of your engine with this inexpensive tool. Each moving part has its own characteristic sound. For example, listen to the muted clicking of the fuel injectors. They should all sound alike. If you find one with a different sound (or no sound at all) you have found a problem.

The dealer's service department is equipped with high-tech diagnostic instruments. These are wonderful devices but they are expensive and the dealer has to recover his cost by charging you for diagnostic time. Sometimes the home mechanic can do legitimate diagnostic work with nothing more than a rubber tube.

Please remember that the water pump on our 5Gen engine is driven by the timing chain. Removing the accessory drive belts was a good diagnostic step inasmuch as it rules out the belts themselves, the alternator, power steering pump, and A/C compressor as the source of the noise. However, it did not disable the water pump. That pump may very well be the source of the unwanted noise.
Old 01-29-2001, 05:53 PM

Daniel B.Martin, You're just too darn good.Your abundance of technical help and insight are greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing knowledge.
Old 01-29-2001, 07:23 PM

Water Pump

I am getting a loud squeel sound from the left side of the motor ( Nissan says it is the water pump. I don't agree. If it is the pump it should be noisy at all speeds and at all engine temps. It is not a belt as the car has been run with them off. .
Water pump more than likely and if it is I hope you either got cash or mechanical apptitude! Also I,m not sure if it does this when it goes bad but most water pumps leak when the bearings wear out in them. Check to see if you have water in your oil or even oil in your water. For water in oil take off your oil filler cap and look for a substance that looks kind of "off white" or "milky" in color. For oil in water open radiator cap (cold) and look to see if the water has changed it,s appearance or if it smells funny.

[Edited by dch95 on 01-29-2001 at 09:28 PM]
Old 01-29-2001, 08:20 PM

Re: Water Pump

man that is for the oil cooler(oil in water) or head (water in oil)... the pump if anything like on the 1990 model is only water.. oil does not run through it...
but it will leak....
I'd fix it asap.. if it sound like that any day it could blow and from then on you can't drive your car at all.
expect 20+ hours of work, if it is your first time..
and remember.. DOn't diconnect the A/C!!!
Old 01-29-2001, 08:31 PM

Re: Re: Water Pump

Originally posted by cbr2
man that is for the oil cooler(oil in water) or head (water in oil)... the pump if anything like on the 1990 model is only water.. oil does not run through it...
but it will leak....
If the water pump leaks then it has to go in the oil. Reason being the pump is driven by the timing chain which is lubricated by engine oil. That is why I said it is possible (not definite) that it could be leaking into the engine oil.
Old 01-31-2001, 05:36 AM

Thanks for all the help. Daniel B. Martin I listed and the noise is not comming from the area of the water pump. I noise is comming from either the main pulley or from behind it. The car will not run with the pulley off so I can not eliminate it. Any thoughts?
Old 01-31-2001, 05:56 AM

Thanks for all the help. Daniel B. Martin I listed and the noise is not comming from the area of the water pump. I noise is comming from either the main pulley or from behind it. The car will not run with the pulley off so I can not eliminate it. Any thoughts?
I have heard of (but never personally observed) a rust build-up on the crankshaft pulley which caused a squealing sound like a slipping belt.

In your posting which originated this thread you mentioned the crankshaft pulley oil seal has been replaced. That repair presented an ideal opportunity to remove any accumulated rust. I hope the technician did that.

I suggest that you dowse the crankshaft pulley oil seal with any kind of oil you can drip or spray in there. This is intended as a diagnostic measure, not a remedial one. If the squeal vanishes, the problem is friction between the seal and the pulley. If the squeal persists, the problem is behind the timing chain cover. This could be a sign of damage to the timing chain, tensioner, or guides.
Old 02-01-2001, 05:26 AM

The pully has been sprayed...no diff. Well, I guess that I need to go in and take a look. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 02-01-2001, 07:41 AM

strange noise

yeea

I an't sweating you Danny B. Mar. but you are the
mmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn !
I got to give respect where it's do.

Maxi-milliyon