4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Considering a 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 07:02 PM

Considering a 4th Gen

My car was recently totaled, it was a 1996 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT, and now I'm trying to find its replacement. I really loved this car, it was very quick and responsive, comfortable at speed, and extremely reliable. I'm very picky about cars, and there are very few that will fit the bill for me. I spend a lot of time both in the city and on the highway, so I need a vehicle that is fairly nimble in city traffic, with the power to back it up, gets decent gas mileage, comfortable to drive, stable and confident at speed (85 cruising, but well over 100 for passing, etc). I also like a vehicle with character, Honda and Toyota seem too bland to me. I like to have lots of bells and whistles, and these Maximas seem fairly well loaded, in any trim level. I think as long as I could get all the same options on an SE as I could a GLE, I would try to find an SE with an automatic. I'd probably also go for a 97-99, given the minor styling differences, and also it seems like after 97 you can get all the GLE features on the SE.

I'd like to hear from you guys about these cars. On paper, I am very impressed with them, and people seem to say great things about them. I've yet to drive one. I'm interested to hear about what's good and not about it (I'm a stickler for little details, so I'd be interested in minor gripes too). One of my biggest concerns is reliability and longevity, my Subaru was rock-solid and never had a problem in 145k miles. I'm a student, and I need a vehicle that I can count on for many more years. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks all

-Ryan
Old 06-15-2003, 07:41 PM

Get a 5th gen 5 speed.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:43 PM

yea a 2000 is a big improvement over the 99 and lower..

but i love my 96
Old 06-15-2003, 07:44 PM

I love cars myself, and for the money, you cannot beat a Maxima. I have a 1997 GLE Dark Green with tan leather interior. It's got 115,000 miles with minimal problems (oil sending unit Replaced, Bose head unit repaired). It seems like the more routine maintinance I do the better the car performs. I purchased it used, and have loved it from the start. The Bose system is amazing for a factory unit. You'd have to spend a few thousand $$$ to get a system to sound that good. The handling was my biggest issue, but a $30 Front Strut Tower Bar took care of that (easy to install, see other posts on this forum for more info). The car does not like the 20 - 40 mph range in traffic, but keeping the overdrive off takes care of that. Finally, make sure the Throttle Body is clean. This gives you much smoother shifts and a little more response on the low end. I used to take the car to the dealer to have everything done. After reading the posts in this group and some of the links, It is a relatively easy car to maintain and work on. One drawback is gas. It requires premium, and with the A/C and city miles it gets about 19 mpg. On the highway I can get in the high 28 mpg cruising in the 70 to 80 mph range. However, I don't know of many V6's that get much better mileage given the Max's performance. The other is brakes. There are only a few brands that will not squeal.

Buy one and you won't regret it.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Maxima95Tuner

I love mine. I got 2 of my friends to get maximas, and they love them too. All I had to do so far was replace the power steering pump, but I knew that was coming when I bought the car.

Old 06-15-2003, 08:15 PM

Ryan, I'm also a student and had to make this decision a few months ago. I was torn between quite a few cars, and coming from a Honda Civic I wanted to keep a relatively high mpg figure with a car that would last forever. I'm also extremely picky when it comes to my vehicle, and a lot of research and lurking on sites like this one went into my selection. Take a look around as to which model and year would be best for you. Some swear by the 5-speed (they're faster), but living in ATL, I had to have an auto for the 2-4 hours of traffic I sit in every day. I went with a 99 SE-L and couldn't be happier. Also, if you're into modding, there are some nice bolt-on/dress-up parts to give a custom look without being very riced out at all. Overall, I'd say this is one of the best cars for the money along with one of the most bulletproof V6's around. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:52 PM

I would actully go with a VW, You will save on gas BIG time....
Old 06-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Maxima95Tuner

A MAXIMA DRIVER saying go with a VW... thats odd.

Old 06-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ryan-

My wife owns a 98 Legacy GT wagon with the 4EAT auto and I own a highly modified naturally aspirated 96 SE 5 speed. Granted my wife's wagon weighs 100lbs more than your GT sedan and it's an auto, but I think I can offer you my opinions.

1) The Maxima is a bit more roomy inside both in shoulder room, headroom, and legroom.

2) You won't like the Maxima's overboosted steering compared to the Legacy GTs heavily weighted steering.

3) The stock handling of the GT owns the stock handling of the 4th gen. However add some good struts, springs, and tires and the Maxima will own the GT easily.

4) The GT (regardless if it's an auto or 5 speed) will get owned by a 4th gen auto or 5 speed. The 5 speed GT is good for low 16s @85mph on a good track where as the auto 4th gen is good for 15.4s @ 88mph on a good track. A 5 speed 4th gen is capable of 14.9s@93mph. Once you start modding the GT really gets owned, even it has all the NA mods. The GT's only hope to make things fair is to add a turbo.

5) Quality wise, the interior of the Maxima seems more solid and refined than the Legacy. On the outside, Subaru's use of heavier gauge metal reduces the chances of door things, hail dings, etc. Both cars have rock solid reliability. The 4th gen Maxima is rated best in it's class for long term reliability by JD Power. It beat out the supposedly better Camry and Accord.

6) The VQ V6 is a jewel of a motor that's smooth, very torquey, and very powerful. It's not rated the world's best V6 for nothing (BMW owns the best inline 6 title). The 160hp 2.5 boxer motor in the Scooby is also torquey, but it lacks the punch of the VQ nor does it have the smoothness. The 2.5 is also rather loud due to the exhaust manifolds sitting within 8" of the pavement.

7) Ride wise, my Maxima with H&R springs, Koni/AGX struts, subframe connectors, strut brace, and 17" wheels actually rides better over most surfaces than the GT. Only when the bumps get bigger does the GT's extra wheel travel help the ride compared to my Maxima that can get a little harsh.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 06-15-2003, 10:00 PM

im a student too, i previously had a 3rd gen 90 maxima and loved it. for my new car it was between a 98+ camaro or another maxima 98+. i picked the maxima(99 se) for its reliability and excellent motor. the auto tranny however is seriously lacking, performance wise. i love my 99 but wish i would have had the option of getting the 5spd.

as for the 5th gens i dont like the body but my girlfriend recently got a 2k and the interior is much nicer than my 4th gen. in fact out of the 90 99 and 2k the 99's interior is my least favorite, although it is still very nice.

good luck
Old 06-15-2003, 10:25 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far. Thanks Dave, especially. The comparison really helps. Most of that sounds on par with what I was expecting. I'm really dissappointed about the steering though, the tight steering on my Legacy was one of my favorite things about driving it. Hopefully the Max's isn't too light.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by sirveaux
Thanks for all the responses so far. Thanks Dave, especially. The comparison really helps. Most of that sounds on par with what I was expecting. I'm really dissappointed about the steering though, the tight steering on my Legacy was one of my favorite things about driving it. Hopefully the Max's isn't too light.
Actually, I've heard that the maxima's had light steering up to the 98s, the 99s is where they actually improved it. I've got a 99SE-L and steering doesn't feel very light at all, I've been in many luxury cars that had a much ligher steering. When you test drive, try checking out a 99, it might feel much better.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:39 AM

Maxima is a great car...until 6 th gen was built in Japan...Excellent reliability...If you want electrical troubles...go for a Vw. Most of them built in Mexico,with burritos instead spark plugs...Had a 96 Jetta,with all kinds of troubles. I wouldn t go for another one. Never had Subaru so I have no ideea...But I had Honda and they are very good also. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you want reliability scratch the VW of your list. Maxima is a great blend but the only thing I can recommmend is suspension replacement. I have the SE-L which is suppose to be stiffer with a sport tune suspension and it felt like a Caddy. My eibach, kyb (stiffest setting) sway bar, and strut bar fixed the problem. I also have 235/18/40 tires so that improves my handling. I guess if it comes down to rating the maxima the engine and tranny are great. The quality is unmatched. The handling is poor, but can easily be fixed.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:23 AM

I have a 1997 Maxima and all I can say is this is the best car I have ever owned. I have 160,000 miles and it still runs very well and it will be paid off in 2 months. WooHoO!
Old 06-16-2003, 11:06 AM
silver99

Maxima is a great choice. I would go with the 99 model. I own one. I picked an automatic trans because the car is 4doors... If I were buying a sports car I would choose a 5spd. My stepfather bought a brand new subaru legacy right before I bought my used max, he paid like 24k, I paid like 16k and everyone says I got the better ride. I hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How does handling compare to say, a Mercury Cougar? I too am considering a 4G Maxima 5-speed, and would be coming from the aforementioned dumbestic. The Maxima obviously has the Cougar beat in reliability and comfort, but I have yet to drive one (just haven't been able to come across a 5-speed in the area).

Anybody have experience with both cars that can shed some light on the subject?
Old 06-16-2003, 09:55 PM

I wonder if anyone can comment on how difficult it would be to obtain a set of the 97-99 16" SE rims? There aren't a whole lot of these vehicles for sale around here, so if I found a GLE I liked I'd want to change the wheels.

Thanks

-Ryan