4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hella horns

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 06:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hella horns

Does anyone have a pic on where they installed the supertone horns yet?
I'm going to change out my horn very soon and I 'm wondering if it's better to place the supertone horn by the front grill or just place back where the stock horn was. And are these horns just as loud as the Hella air horns?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Put them where the stock horns are.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I put them both in front. Had to bend the brackets a little to make room and re-orient the exterior temp sensor (if so equipped), but there is a threaded hole in the other side too for mounting. I went a bought a new bolt (10mm, can't remember thread pitch) and mounted the bracket behind the center brace (meaning the bolt went in from behind also) It's a little harder to tighten them, but I had no problems. Left my stock horn under the hood.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:13 PM

How does one hook up the horns after they're installed? I sure would like to get some new horns to replace the wussy horn that comes stock with our 4th gens
Old 06-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Says.."No mo Maximas for me!"

Re: Hella horns

On a 97 I30 . . .

Old 06-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

how much and where do you pick those up?!

Eric
Old 06-18-2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
how much and where do you pick those up?!

Eric
ebay. $29.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:12 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by max5spd

ebay. $29.
And how do they sound compared to the stock ones? Deeper or higher pitched? etc.....

Old 06-18-2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83

And how do they sound compared to the stock ones? Deeper or higher pitched? etc.....
They're not as loud as airhorns or as obtrusive. They sound like a stock German horn. Like a Beemer or a Benz. The air horns are just too much. They are deeper. The air horns are too high pitched.

I like them. They are loud enough to get attention, but not loud enough to make the little old ladies to jump out of their shoes.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by max5spd

They're not as loud as airhorns or as obtrusive. They sound like a stock German horn. Like a Beemer or a Benz. The air horns are just too much. They are deeper. The air horns are too high pitched.

I like them. They are loud enough to get attention, but not loud enough to make the little old ladies to jump out of their shoes.
Not a bad price, but for witch set of supertone horns? Hella makes two set's , 1 set is 300Hz/375Hz and the other set is a 300Hz/500Hz.
I know the I30 comes with a pretty beefy stock horn appossed to Maxima's gay horn , did you get a big difference when you put in these supertone horns? Thanks for showing the PIC of the horns.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:40 AM

Are the Airhorns much harder to hook up electroniclly speaking? I really wanna get a set.

I search "hella air horn" on Google and pull up some websites w/ cheap prices. Im just waitin to buy b/c im not sure if ill beable to make them work.

i read on a previous thread that people were blowing the fuses or relays or sumptin b/c they weren't hookin them up correctly and im not the best when it comes to electricity.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by ohannon7
Are the Airhorns much harder to hook up electroniclly speaking? I really wanna get a set.

I search "hella air horn" on Google and pull up some websites w/ cheap prices. Im just waitin to buy b/c im not sure if ill beable to make them work.

i read on a previous thread that people were blowing the fuses or relays or sumptin b/c they weren't hookin them up correctly and im not the best when it comes to electricity.
Hey...hook up the horns as shown in the pictures above. Keep the horn under the hood...that is for the alarm and horn.

Believe it or not there is a spare wire that Nissan has left behind the grill that is for another horn...use that for hooking up your new Hellas. It's already connectorized and just taped up sitting there! The horns will be loud, but not obnoxious, and you won't have any problems with blowing fuses if you use the spare wire!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by goldmax

Hey...hook up the horns as shown in the pictures above. Keep the horn under the hood...that is for the alarm and horn.

Believe it or not there is a spare wire that Nissan has left behind the grill that is for another horn...use that for hooking up your new Hellas. It's already connectorized and just taped up sitting there! The horns will be loud, but not obnoxious, and you won't have any problems with blowing fuses if you use the spare wire!
Are you talkin about the horn that max5spd put on his car? I wanted to get an airhorn, i want my car to be as loud as a Semi. I want people to s**t their pants when their goin slow in the fast lane and I lay on the horn!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

BTW , when I find out if I want the air horn or the supertone , I would like to have the horn go off with my alarm , so I know it's my car going off and not cars on my block. Does anyone know how to do this ?
Old 06-19-2003, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by ohannon7

Are you talkin about the horn that max5spd put on his car? I wanted to get an airhorn, i want my car to be as loud as a Semi. I want people to s**t their pants when their goin slow in the fast lane and I lay on the horn!
Yes...the one that max5spd has. I have those and they are loud, but not truck loud. You may be able to mount air horns where he did, but it might be tight!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

MAX-D, you'll need a relay that connects from your alarm horn down to the hella's. I had the local audio shop connect the supertones to my alarm for $40. it was done in 30 minutes.

Originally posted by MAX-D
BTW , when I find out if I want the air horn or the supertone , I would like to have the horn go off with my alarm , so I know it's my car going off and not cars on my block. Does anyone know how to do this ?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:15 PM

MAX-D - I didn't realize that there were two different setups for the Supertones. To be honest, I don't even know which ones I have. There was a considerable difference, but not a HUGE difference.

ohannon7 - No, they were not difficult to install. In fact, the I30 horns were already on a relay (not sure about Maximas) so I just used the factory wiring.

goldmax - Right. Just remember, that my grill is attached to my hood which makes installation easier. For the Maxima, the grill needs to come off. The airhorns should fit in the front where they will be more exposed to the elements. The Supertones are beefier.

MAX-D - You can hook them up to the alarm, you just need to tap the correct wire.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by maxNYC
MAX-D, you'll need a relay that connects from your alarm horn down to the hella's. I had the local audio shop connect the supertones to my alarm for $40. it was done in 30 minutes.

Thanks for the info , I was just kinda hoping I can get detail's to do it myself. I really don't trust anyone working on my ride ya no.
I guess I'll keep searchimg until I found out how and what exactly I need to do this.. Thanks again for your response.