4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tok. illumina + ground controls + stillen camber kit = good setup???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003 | 09:46 AM

tok. illumina + ground controls + stillen camber kit = good setup???

I currently have Tok. Illumina shox and Ground Control Coilovers being shipped to my door..........and i already have the stillen camber kit installed. Anyone already running this setup....any reports. After looking around, this seemed like my best best bet, considering I think AGX's are gods gift to the devil (they suck).

lemme know what you think
Old 06-18-2003 | 10:24 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

That should be a good combo.

Why do you think AGXs suck?
Old 06-18-2003 | 10:35 AM

i somewhat agree, i think AGX's are very overrated; koni makes a much better product and ive heard a lot of good things about the illuminas...im curious as to which is the better of those two
Old 06-18-2003 | 10:41 AM

Originally posted by TN-Max
i somewhat agree, i think AGX's are very overrated; koni makes a much better product and ive heard a lot of good things about the illuminas...im curious as to which is the better of those two

The Konis I have are pretty near a perfect shock from my opinion. Soft impacts, but very controlled dampening no matter the temperature. If someone around the area has some Illuminas they want me to feel, I'd be more than happy to writeup a review and comparison of the two.
Old 06-18-2003 | 10:46 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Konis have 3 major disadvantages when compared to AGXs.

The fronts are not a direct bolt-in part
The rears must be removed from the behicle to be adjusted
Price

To me, that just makes them a pain in the rear, no matter how well they work.

..just my two cents. (I have Tokicos, so I know all about stuff that sucks)
Old 06-18-2003 | 03:00 PM

Might wanna order some motivational strut mounts for added travel, its optional though... It'd prolly make the car a bit more comfortable if you have the GCs set really low.
Old 06-18-2003 | 04:42 PM
Dev

Re: tok. illumina + ground controls + stillen camber kit = good setup???

Originally posted by 96bstdSE
I currently have Tok. Illumina shox and Ground Control Coilovers being shipped to my door..........and i already have the stillen camber kit installed. Anyone already running this setup....any reports. After looking around, this seemed like my best best bet, considering I think AGX's are gods gift to the devil (they suck).

lemme know what you think
Hey, when you get this installed, can you tell me how the ride is?
i have ground controls as well...right now on stock shocks

there is no doubt in my mind that the illumina's will give a better ride than the agx's...however...will they last?

i know tokico blues are known to blow fast...are illumina's in the same category?
Old 06-18-2003 | 05:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am loving my ride..as for duribility I cannot say, They have the ability to ride incredibly stiff....and I am starting to believe the ole addage..."you get what you pay for"
Old 06-18-2003 | 07:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Ground controls ride very stiff or harsh no matter what shock/strut you couple them with, the spring rate is very high. They are designed for handling, not ride comfort.

You cannot use Motivational mounts with them, they come with their own mounts.
Old 06-18-2003 | 09:59 PM

thanx for all the replies guys.........I'll let you know how things turn out, once i get them one. I was also wondering if I could use my springs off my current Gen 1 Cattman coilover setup....because i like the spring rate.

PS- before you ask why i would be leaving the cattman setup, all four agx's are COMPLETELY blown....kinda sux when they don't produce them anymore.
Old 06-18-2003 | 10:05 PM
Dev

Originally posted by 96bstdSE
thanx for all the replies guys.........I'll let you know how things turn out, once i get them one. I was also wondering if I could use my springs off my current Gen 1 Cattman coilover setup....because i like the spring rate.

PS- before you ask why i would be leaving the cattman setup, all four agx's are COMPLETELY blown....kinda sux when they don't produce them anymore.
cattman coilovers use agx's?
i thought they had their own shocks like true coilovers...

about switching springs...i don't think you can switch, because the perch and top hat would need the same diameter spring...and even if it is the same...i wouldn't switch.

if you wanted to...ground control sells the sleeves for pretty cheap...you should have just order the sleeves cause the eibach springs ground control uses are expensive.
Old 06-19-2003 | 07:07 AM

Originally posted by Dev

cattman coilovers use agx's?
i thought they had their own shocks like true coilovers...

about switching springs...i don't think you can switch, because the perch and top hat would need the same diameter spring...and even if it is the same...i wouldn't switch.

if you wanted to...ground control sells the sleeves for pretty cheap...you should have just order the sleeves cause the eibach springs ground control uses are expensive.
gen 1 cattman coilovers do use agx's, but they are a true full body coilover...........the shox they picked to use for the system were the agx's, the sleeve was built right into the agx shox..........as for just buying the ground control sleeve, where would i go about doing that???
Old 06-19-2003 | 09:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ground control will be about the most unforgiving ride you could imagine. And then throw the Stillen camber kit in there and it will be even more unforgiving with more suspension noise transmitted. I've had both and none of them are worth the money or inconvenience in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2003 | 10:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had Konis before and I think they were much better than the AGXs. Sure, the price is high and there are some hassle(installation of the fronts and adjustment of the rears). Still, I would recommend the Konis over the AGXs. I should have kept the Konis. Thought the AGXs were much better than the Konis, was I ever wrong.
Old 06-19-2003 | 11:10 AM

Originally posted by chris j vurnis
Ground control will be about the most unforgiving ride you could imagine. And then throw the Stillen camber kit in there and it will be even more unforgiving with more suspension noise transmitted. I've had both and none of them are worth the money or inconvenience in my opinion.
so which coilover system do you recomend...tokicos are ordered, ground controls are not........so i still have a say in them....