4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tire Rotation Pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 05:23 AM

I've done two rotations so far each time with different pattern. The first one is simple fronts to back and backs to front. The second and most recent is fronts to back and backs to front but crisscross. The nissan user's manual recommends the first method and the michelin's website recommends the second, which i do have their tires. Which is right? Also do i need realignment after?

Hoang,
Old 01-30-2001, 07:55 AM

No, you do not need realignment if all you are doing is rotating tires.

How you rotate tires IS dependent on the type of tires you have. It's not a matter of whether you have Michelin's or Goodyear, but whether the tires are unidirectional. In other words, look at your tire sidewall. If it has a rotation arrow (which points to the correct direction of rotation when the car is moving forward)that means your tires are unidirectional. You're only method of tire rotation in this case is back to fronts and vice versa. No criss-crossing! Otherwise, you'll have a tire mounted in the wrong direction.

If there are no arrows, then the front to backs and backs to front WITH criss-cross is the preferred method.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:54 AM

Thanks vbxmaxima...this issue has been bugging me for awhile now. My tires do not have the arrows so I guess it's non-directional.

Hoang,