4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I self diagnosed ECU lgt...what is EVAP control system....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 09:44 AM

I self diagnosed ECU lgt...what is EVAP control system....

i self diagnosed my service engine soon light and two codes came up(my 97 max se 5 speed). i used the diagnosis chart provided by link, and they were:
EVAP control system
EVAP canister vent control valve

is this a bad problem or expensive to fix? is it harming my car? the light has been on for 3 days now. the engine and entire car seem to be running just perfect. thanx

larry
Old 06-19-2003, 09:50 PM

Re: I self diagnosed ECU lgt...what is EVAP control system....

I just pulled some codes from my car and have the same 2 issues.. Does anyone know anything about this problem???
Old 06-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

been there done that

your Evap valve is stuck , go to the dealer get the valve $70 , and change it yourself saving about $350

the carnister is located under the rear bumper on the driver side

easy job , everybody can do it

don't foget to reset the ECU after you finish

Nick
Old 06-19-2003, 10:01 PM

no harm will be done to your car if you dont get it fixed soon.... All the EVAP system does is vents fuel vapors from the tank into the canister....
Old 06-19-2003, 10:39 PM

just got rid of those codes today, seems like a lot of people have been gettin em lately. part costs around 32 bucks and should take anymore than 15 mins to change. as said it isnt gunna cause any problems not fixin it, ya just gotta deal with the light.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:33 AM

Re: been there done that

Originally posted by nick
your Evap valve is stuck , go to the dealer get the valve $70 , and change it yourself saving about $350

the carnister is located under the rear bumper on the driver side

easy job , everybody can do it

don't foget to reset the ECU after you finish

Nick
The parts are not $70. You can get the valve through Courtesy Nissan shipped to your door for $31.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:23 PM

QQ: I was on my way for a long 4th of July weekend when the check engine light came on. I checked the codes (39 [undefined] and 75 [EVAP Control System] and reset the ECU. The light went out AND my gas mileage increased ALOT!!!! My question is should I replace the canister even though resetting the light took care of the issue thus far?
Old 07-07-2003, 04:16 AM

goto your nearest dealer... tell them you have this code and tell them you heard that there is supposedly a recall on this. they'll take your vin and verify it with 1-800-nissan1 and get back to you... if your part of the recall, they replace 3 o2 sensors, the WHOLE evap system, and like 2 parts under your engine bay.

i got these codes and went to the dealership for a diag and status on my evap system... they mentionned the recall to me. Unfortunatly i am not in the right area for the recall. Quebec runs under cali spec rules...
Old 07-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: I self diagnosed ECU lgt...what is EVAP control system....

Originally posted by LarryR
i self diagnosed my service engine soon light and two codes came up(my 97 max se 5 speed). i used the diagnosis chart provided by link, and they were:
EVAP control system
EVAP canister vent control valve

is this a bad problem or expensive to fix? is it harming my car? the light has been on for 3 days now. the engine and entire car seem to be running just perfect. thanx

larry
The evaporator canister vent control valve allows gases to vent out from the car. It is important that you change it as soon as possible. Mine was changed at the dealer which to my surprise was not that expensive. Mostly labor as usual. Sometimes it can cause your car not to allow gas to be put in the tank. Change it as soon as possible and trust me you think there is no difference now but you will notice the increase in power. If you are not using premium gas please do so.

good luck.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:14 AM

multiplexor - I ended up going to the dealer and asking if I was part of the recall. At first, he didn't want to even look up to see if there was a recall. When I told the service guy that I reset the ECU, he looked at me and asked how did I do that? And how did I get the codes? I just
'matter of factly' told him the steps and looked at him with awe... how could you work at the dealer and ask these questions???? What a dope... then he continues to explain that replacing the canister is tricky and the steps to do it. Since I reset the ECU, my gas mileage has been great but I suspect that I'll be replacing the canister soon. Honestly, I'm hoping that it's the hot weather that we are having that made the problem but only time will tell. Are there directions around (or has anyone made them) to replace the canister?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by maxima_million
multiplexor - I ended up going to the dealer and asking if I was part of the recall. At first, he didn't want to even look up to see if there was a recall. When I told the service guy that I reset the ECU, he looked at me and asked how did I do that? And how did I get the codes? I just
'matter of factly' told him the steps and looked at him with awe... how could you work at the dealer and ask these questions???? What a dope... then he continues to explain that replacing the canister is tricky and the steps to do it. Since I reset the ECU, my gas mileage has been great but I suspect that I'll be replacing the canister soon. Honestly, I'm hoping that it's the hot weather that we are having that made the problem but only time will tell. Are there directions around (or has anyone made them) to replace the canister?
ah! haha omg, the guy i saw acted the same way.... i'm like: "yeah i checked my codes and got a knock sensor code, an evap flow control code and a rear o2 sensor code" he's like "how did you check that????" looking all astonished! So I told him how and he's like "wow you know how to get around cars huh" i'm like yes sir...

so anyways he has no idea how to fix it, and decides to send my car to another guy accross from him who's much better at this. He takes one look and says theres a recall on this item, and goes to see his manager. manager comes back about 5 minutes later and tells me i'm not covered unfortunatly... damnit...

if you call 1-800-nissan1 yourself you can see if your car is part of the recall. look for recall number P-40 and another one.. i think it's p-8120 but i'm not sure. I know p-40 for sure though

900$ worth of repairs done free to your car, you can't go wrong