4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

a few Qs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Banned

a few Qs...

hey guys i got a few questions. any input would be greatly appriciated. here goes...

i recently got my y pipe put on and my exhausts roars. however after a week or so of driving its become rather tame, its still louder with the Y but....i know its not just me because other people have said so also. is this the ECU learning that the Y is there? also i have a budget y. when i got it it had junk n gunk inside of the tube. i never cleaned it out, could possibly this sludge come down the pipe and start to clog my cat, less air flow, less sound? i have 130k on my stock cat but when i looked at it a week ago it was A OK...havn't noticed anything different mpg but i'v only filled her up once...is this normal? also i disconnected my battery today and the sound didn't change at all. if this resets the ECU then my exhaust should have comeback to life again if the ecu learned....any ideas guys? i loved the roar it gave before...
Old 06-20-2003, 01:00 AM

Did you buy the Y new or used? If you bought it new it's normal for an exhaust to lower in volume after driving it awhile. Carbon deposits building up and heat help do that.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:06 AM
Banned

the y pipe is brand new. wouldn't it take a while for the deposites to build up? its so so nasty before =[. mayeb i'll buy my buddies straight pipe...