4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ypipe install - exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 09:39 PM

ypipe install - exhaust leak?

I posted about a week or 2 ago that i installed my pipe and b*tched about it a little. I noticed the sorta rattling sound when accelerating. I can definitely hear it if there is something there to rebound the sound, lets say im on the left line and there is a divider. My brother tells me it is an exhaust leak. I double checked all the bolts and they are all tight. My only concern is that when budget made my pipe, the forward flange didnt seem like the gasket fit all the way around it. Ill try to explain it better. Since i have a cali spec, it would sit horizontally. They didnt groove out a space for the gasket, part of the pipe extruded beyond the triangle section, where you would put the bolts. However, the bottom half was receded and so the gasket would keep falling off. I, and some of my co-workers, tried to sit the gasket and quickly set it flush. If the gasket was off, would it cause an exhaust leak? It sounds really annoying and ricey when you hear this abnoxious noise. My brother said that he can definitely tell it is an exhaust leak, but he and I both say it is more powerful.

thanks
-Mark
Old 06-19-2003, 09:44 PM

Where is the noise coming from? I had a rattling on my max when I had my Wpspd y and b installed. There is a bracket under the car to hold the stock pipe. Mine was hitting that, so I took the bracket off, put some washers on, and then reinstalled the bracket. That completely eliminated the rattling vibration! Get under the car, and determine if the pipe is close enough to hit
Old 06-20-2003, 06:47 AM

i took that off already.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:59 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

When putting the gaskets in, use a dab of silicon or grease to hold them in position while you assemble the joint.

You could always get a new gasket from Nissan and try the install again - ir take the new gasket and the car to a muffler shop and pay them $20 to install it so it doesn't leak...
Old 06-20-2003, 07:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, i have a metallic sound coming when i rev my motor (ESPECIALLY when its cold) and i let the RPMs fall. Its like a clanking type of sound. Ive had it so long ive gotten used to it..Ive searched and searched and cant find anything wrong, nothings rubbing, took the cat shield off, checked all the bolts, checked the flex, etc etc. One mechanic told me it could just be all the air rushing in and out so fast it vibrates the metal...

Eric
Old 06-20-2003, 08:34 AM

I have a cali-spec from Budget too, and I have the same problem. I had already reinstalled it with a new gasket and it took care of the exhaust leak for maybe a week or two but now it is back. I think it is a fitment issue with the pipe. Anyway, I'm kinda ****ed with it, and I'm thinking about trying the Warpspeed pipe.