4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

max will not hold idle need help!?!?!?!?...long

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 02:00 AM

max will not hold idle need help!?!?!?!?...long

ok so here is my problem. my car will not idle. this thing has been getting progressivly worse since last week.

at first i was throwing 0803 codes left and right. basically everythime i get on the throttle.

beginining off the week i would just get wierd idle hicups rpm slowly dips down to around 500 then pops back up to normal.

last two days i have been getting really iregular idles. bounces up and down between 700-500. car sounds like i have cams with a very aggresive profile. then revs drop and drop until eventually it stalls out.

so far this is what i have done to diagnos the problem.

1. hooked up consult the head tech told me the air flow meter is not running right. swapped sir flow meters with slammed95 still getting iregular idle.

2. check TPS read 1100 ohms idle and 3800 ohm at wot. tried adjusting could not get the load to drop below 600. replace with brand new TPS. TPS is now in spec.

3. check for vacum leaks. sprayed brake cleaners around manifold gaskets and checked all vacum hoses. could not find anything.

4. tested IACV parts all with in spec.

5. removed IACV to clean off all the gunk built up inside. clean everything spotless. reinstalled still cannot hold an idle.

6. tried adjusting the idle with the idle adjuster still no good.
oh did i mention the whole time this is happeneing i am not getting and ECU trouble codes.

7. went as far as unpluging a ignition coil to see what was happening while at idle and to my surprise the idle did not get any worse. still messed up. after i checked ecu i got a 0201 ignition circuit fualt. but it didnot throw a CEL.

8. pulled all plugs looked good to me. little brown around the ring. ceramic was white. no signs off detonation.

9. restrained myself from kicking the side off my car before i went back into the house in total defeat.

i need help guys. i have plat run out off things to check. and yes i did search. i spent most off my time bed time last night going over old rough idle threads. late to work 30 mins. ohhhhhh what a horrible week.

if there are any new ideas i can try or look at. will be good. the only thing i can think of is i had to replace my upper plenum gasket 2 weeks ago. i do not know if something got messed up from that. but car was running good for 2 weeks and on the 3rd weeks problems began to arise.

help
thanks for any input

Frank
Old 06-20-2003, 05:28 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

0803 = Absolute Pressure Sensor. Thats the boost sensor thats usually bolted onto the intake piping up near the snorkle. Replace it.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:50 AM

yeah i get paid today.

but i don't know if that sensor has anything to do with idle. i hope it does.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:41 AM

also with all the stuff that you have done did you reset the ecu even if there is no codes that came up. I had a problem recently with my car not going past 2000 rpm and when I went to get the MAF sensor the mechanic checked it one more time and when he reset the ecu the problem went away and haven't came back since.