4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Move the drivers seat back further?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003 | 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Move the drivers seat back further?

Hey all, time for another silly question

I have a 1997 GXE, and I was hoping that there would be some way to get the drivers seat to slide back another couple of inches. I am 6'6 and could use the extra distance for maximum comfort. I took the seat out today, and it appears as though it should be able to slide back a bit further, but for the life of me I can't figure out what is stopping the motors from allowing it to do so.

Anyone have any experience with this or knowledge on the subject?

Thanks in advance,
Old 06-20-2003 | 02:13 PM

i'm 6'8 and while i could use a little more room, i by no means have no problems.
Old 06-20-2003 | 03:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I didn't say I had a problem, was just wondering if it could be done. Its a way to improve my vehicle (for me) like anything else we do to our cars.
Old 06-20-2003 | 03:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sawzall
Old 06-20-2003 | 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Move the drivers seat back further?

I considered this a couple of years ago when I first got my car. I'm only 6'-3" but still have a somewhat-hard time getting comfortable.

I took a different approach... Instead of increasing the seat travel along the rails, I thought the mounting brackets for the seat could be modified to give more legroom. The rear brackets would be easy, they just bolt through the floorboards. Finding a couple more inches of room there wouldn't be hard. The front brackets would be another story; they have straight sections that the seat rails bolt onto, then shorter angled sections that bolt to the humps in the floor. Because those humps are in the way and can't easily be modified, I think longer front brackets would need to be fabricated in order to give the extra room.

Unfortunately, I never pursued getting new brackets made for me. But I think anyone with some rudimentary metalwork skills could make them.

Anyway, maybe my approach might work better for you. Seems like getting more travel out of the stock rails would be an effort in frustration. Good luck.

Ciao,
TOM
Old 06-21-2003 | 12:03 AM

Re: Move the drivers seat back further?

Originally posted by KyleCanuck
Hey all, time for another silly question

I have a 1997 GXE, and I was hoping that there would be some way to get the drivers seat to slide back another couple of inches. I am 6'6 and could use the extra distance for maximum comfort.
I'm 6'4", and not a thin guy by any stretch, so I can sympathize. I have thought of this before, but the safety aspect of it always kept me from pursuing it. If you run into something, or worse yet, if you get rear ended, the seat may be the only thing between you and something much more uncomfortable and dangerous.