4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 02:27 PM

new brakes

It's time to change my brakes, but since a mechanic always did I for me i need some tips. I don't race a lot on the streets so I guess I need regular, long lasting brakes. What brand should I go for/what site can I get them from?
Thanks
Old 06-21-2003, 03:32 PM

Just go to Meinekee and get some Raybestos Quiet Stops, they'll be fine and IIRC, when they wear out all you pay for is labor to get new ones.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: new brakes

Originally posted by BloodMachine34
It's time to change my brakes, but since a mechanic always did I for me i need some tips. I don't race a lot on the streets so I guess I need regular, long lasting brakes. What brand should I go for/what site can I get them from?
Thanks

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined it won't be too hard at all. Pick up a Haynes Manual. There are step-by-step instructions with pics for each step for both the front and the rear.

You can get Brembo blank rotors from Tire Rack for about the same price you would pay for no-names at the parts store (about $20 less then original equipment). They might be a little more expensive with shipping but they are well worth it.

The Raybestos QS pads are the best I've tried. I have silver 17" wheels and it normally takes about two weeks before I can really see the dust (on the front) and they are very quiet. Also well worth it.

gmho
Old 06-22-2003, 04:03 PM

Re: new brakes

Originally posted by BloodMachine34
Thanks

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined it won't be too hard at all. Pick up a Haynes Manual. There are step-by-step instructions with pics for each step for both the front and the rear.

You can get Brembo blank rotors from Tire Rack for about the same price you would pay for no-names at the parts store (about $20 less then original equipment). They might be a little more expensive with shipping but they are well worth it.

The Raybestos QS pads are the best I've tried. I have silver 17" wheels and it normally takes about two weeks before I can really see the dust (on the front) and they are very quiet. Also well worth it.

gmho
Old 06-22-2003, 04:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just because you don't race doesn't mean you shouldn't look in to performance pads if you have the money to spend. Think of it as a precaution. It could mean the difference of an accident or not. Performance pads do sometimes give off a bit more dust though. Again, I think the peace of mind is worth it. I just got a set of Hawk HPS brake pads from Tire Rack and I really like them. If you decide to try performance pads..

EBC Green: Excellent performance street pad, just dusts a lot. Best initial bite I've felt yet. These pads are Kevlar so they are nice to your rotors.

Axxis Metal Masters: They really aren't all that. Need to be warmed up a bit before they really bite and they fade.

Hawk HPS: I think they need to be warmed a bit too. They seem to
grab better than the Metal Masters.

ZuM

If you're going to install the pads yourself. All you will need is a 14mm socket and a rachet or a 14mm wrench. You may also need some sort of hollow pipe to fit over the wrench or socket to give you more leverage to loosen the bolt. Or maybe I'm just weak. But have one handy just in case. Definitely invest in a Haynes manual if you plan to do work on your car yourself.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Just because you don't race doesn't mean you shouldn't look in to performance pads if you have the money to spend. Think of it as a precaution. It could mean the difference of an accident or not. Performance pads do sometimes give off a bit more dust though. Again, I think the peace of mind is worth it. I just got a set of Hawk HPS brake pads from Tire Rack and I really like them. If you decide to try performance pads..

EBC Green: Excellent performance street pad, just dusts a lot. Best initial bite I've felt yet. These pads are Kevlar so they are nice to your rotors.

Axxis Metal Masters: They really aren't all that. Need to be warmed up a bit before they really bite and they fade.

Hawk HPS: I think they need to be warmed a bit too. They seem to
grab better than the Metal Masters.

ZuM

If you're going to install the pads yourself. All you will need is a 14mm socket and a rachet or a 14mm wrench. You may also need some sort of hollow pipe to fit over the wrench or socket to give you more leverage to loosen the bolt. Or maybe I'm just weak. But have one handy just in case. Definitely invest in a Haynes manual if you plan to do work on your car yourself.
how is the HPS? do they fade? do they bite harder then metal masters? and the most important question: are they quiet? my set should be here tomorrow and I really hope that they're quiet
Old 06-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

They are quiet! Just make sure you use a lot of brake quiet spray. =) Initial bite isn't the greatest but when you really romp on it.. it bites. I can't really compare the Metal Masters to the HPS pads because I also replaced my rotors with cross drilled when I installed the HPS pads. The extra bite I feel could be because of the rotors. But they are quiet and I can't complain. They don't seem to fade either. But then again, it could because of the rotor again. So really I can only answer one of your questions. They are quiet. =P

All is not lost. I helped my friend install Hawk HPS pads in his Subaru 2.5RS. He had some carbon metalic KVR pads on there that he said sucked. We put on the HPS in the front and EBC greens in the back. Same rotors stock rotors. We did a 60-0 and my eyeballs almost popped out. The front tires locked up even with ABS and the tires squealed. He said he didn't feel the brakes fading during that stop. So I guess the HPS pads do bite.

I noticed my brakes work better in the rain now. I don't know if its because of the rotors or the pads. But my initial bite in the rain is a lot better than before I changed the rotors and pads.

ZuM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

how is the HPS? do they fade? do they bite harder then metal masters? and the most important question: are they quiet? my set should be here tomorrow and I really hope that they're quiet
Old 06-22-2003, 10:03 PM

i got raybestos qs.. only been on 1 day.but i dont like them..intial bite sucks.. and further pressure isnt as pleasing as my worn out factory ones..
Old 06-22-2003, 10:06 PM

what are the factory brakes made of?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Max Noob
i got raybestos qs.. only been on 1 day.but i dont like them..intial bite sucks.. and further pressure isnt as pleasing as my worn out factory ones..
Thats because they aren't broken in yet..