4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rusted Rotor Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 06:19 PM

Rusted Rotor Help

Ok guys, another problem I came across while trying to install my new rotors...My old ones WON'T come off!!! Unlike my rear rotors my fronts don't have that extra hole to sick a screw in to push the rotors off the hub. I don't know what to do, I thought about taking a rubber hammer and giving it a few hits but it doesn't seem very safe to do that. Anyone experience this before? What are my options? As usual any help will be great. Thanks.

Mason
Old 06-26-2003, 07:24 PM

Spray WD40.
Find a piece of long rectangle wood that can go across the rotor.
Hit it with the rubber hammer.
And off goes the rotor........hopefully
Old 06-26-2003, 08:35 PM
Sin

Re: Rusted Rotor Help

Originally posted by Nosamo
Ok guys, another problem I came across while trying to install my new rotors...My old ones WON'T come off!!! Unlike my rear rotors my fronts don't have that extra hole to sick a screw in to push the rotors off the hub. I don't know what to do, I thought about taking a rubber hammer and giving it a few hits but it doesn't seem very safe to do that. Anyone experience this before? What are my options? As usual any help will be great. Thanks.

Mason
Just read my post from not too long ago. It goes over the process with a KVR review

Here's a link, and a bump on the thread too so it'll be easy for you to find.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=1

Heck, there's even a link in the thread with pics of the brakes and procedures.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:19 PM

I've seen this prob. before (I work as a detailer and constantly observe mechanics). The way ive seen this problem fixed is application of a hheavy lube (we have an industrial strength brake part lubricant for this) Spray around the 5 bolts and use a rubber mallet...its ok to hit it hard if youre not keeping the old. Just keep working at it if its stubborn...they can be!
Old 06-27-2003, 07:15 AM

Ok guys time to beat out my stubborn rotors. Wish me luck, will post back later with update.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:36 AM

Nosamo - I think you should trade up the rubber hammer for something with more density/mass. Don't hit the rotor in one location only. Work your way around it from the front and back as well. Just be careful of the studs. You might also want to look into penetrating oil & see if you can force some in behind the rotor hub somehow.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:37 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Big rubber hammer and wack it from behind.

It will pop right off.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Big rubber hammer and wack it from behind.

It will pop right off.
Only if the rotor is in a cooperative mood. I've try to help a buddy smack his front rotor with a metal hammer from every which way without it budging. A proper sized bolt eventually saved the day.

p.s. we dimpled and slotted that sucker real nicely!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:34 AM

Update, its 2pm now and after 3 hours of baning the damn rotor from many different spots and thinking of ways I might be able to "push" it off I am exactly where I started. Frustrated I took a break and installed my new midpipe and took a lunch break, gonna get back on them rotors right after I eat and pick up some more blunt objects. At this point anything that's big and heavy that I might be able to use I've picked up. Be back in another 3-4 hours, hope it doesn't rain.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Nosamo
Update, its 2pm now and after 3 hours of baning the damn rotor from many different spots and thinking of ways I might be able to "push" it off I am exactly where I started. Frustrated I took a break and installed my new midpipe and took a lunch break, gonna get back on them rotors right after I eat and pick up some more blunt objects. At this point anything that's big and heavy that I might be able to use I've picked up. Be back in another 3-4 hours, hope it doesn't rain.
Oh man, I feel for you bud because I saw someone else go through the exact same experience. The key difference is that your rotor has no screw hole. Do you have a spare junked rotor lying around? If you do, here's a crazy idea. You'll need a friend to help you hold up the spare rotor to your seized one. The rotor hat needs to be aligned so that it's sitting on top of the 5 studs. Get about 4 or 5 really big c-clamps that can span the surface of the tow rotors faces. From there, start tightening each clamp a little bit in the same way youwould properly torque down your lug nuts. With this approach, you're helping to "push" the seized rotor off the wheel bearing/hub/whatever-you-call it.

I've attached a really ugly picture I drew in MS-Paint to try to illustrate my point. Hope it helps!