4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed y-pipe & sts today and having many noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 07:53 PM

Installed y-pipe & sts today and having many noises

I installed a Budget Y and Pacesetter STS today and I'm hearing loud resonance type noises inside right below the shifter. I do have an intake but never had a problem. I had to bang down the heat shield for the STS so i think that it might be rubbing against the cat now. Its only during med-hard accel and between 1-3K rpms. Is there any good way to reshape it without having to remove the y-pipe again?

The engine compartment is alot louder. I knew it would be increased some but not as much as it is. I installed a WSP on my old 91 GXE and it wasnt nearly as loud but then i didnt have an intake on it either. I used an impact wrench on all the bolts and i double checked the crush rings so i dont know if it is leaking at the connections still or not. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Lastly i was testing it out on my road which was just repaved this week so its very smooth. I would be going uphill and flooring it and after i reached 80 the front end would hop up. I dont really know how to explain it other than comparing it to being in first and hitting a bump and have it hop up after it from torque. It did this two seperate times yet 5 min before it was smooth as could be going all the way up 110 on a flat road. Was it maybe just a coincidence on my road or is it a serious thing i need to get checked? Any ideas?

Also for anyone who doesnt have a y-pipe i highly reccomend it
Old 06-30-2003, 08:55 AM

Can anyone help me here? I removed and reinstalled all the bolts on the y-pipe this morning and they are snug as can be. The sound from the engine bay sounds like a loud ticking depending on throttle position. Is it supposed to sound like that or can i do something about it?

I also messed with the heat shield this morning and i am 95% certain that its not rubbing against anything. the noise is directly underneath my radio in my dash which is whereabouts the y-pipe and cat connect. I retightened the hanger again and it still makes the noise. What else should I check?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2003, 09:15 AM
The original VQ...

My noises went away after about a day or 2, i pushed the shifter forcefully down so it banged a couple times, also gewt under the car and se what you can pull down or bend, i know how ****ed you must be cause i was madd but it fixed itself bacicly.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:54 PM

Check the hangers next to the y-pipe and make sure that they are not touching your y-pipe. Also check the heat shield below the shifter to make sure that it isn't loose. Sometimes these noises go away after a couple of days of driving. I know how annoying noises can be.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:57 PM

I removed my heatshield completly and have had no problems ~1 year later.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:23 PM

ok the heatshield problem or w.e it was causing the noise under the shifter is gone now but the y-pipe leaks really bad in the engine compartment, how can i fix it? thanks
Old 06-30-2003, 06:54 PM

i think i've narrowed the noises down to the connection between the y and cat. i am going to disconnect them, remove the hanger and inspect the gasket and try reinstalling them all. i'll see how that goes...
Old 06-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by khott2003
i think i've narrowed the noises down to the connection between the y and cat. i am going to disconnect them, remove the hanger and inspect the gasket and try reinstalling them all. i'll see how that goes...
Are you hearing a hiss or what type of noise? I had the same problems at first, the banging on the shifter and dash. I just moved the hanger brackets in toward the pipe and away from the bolt/nipple things on the car body, one on each side. I also thought I had a leak too. I had the bees in the can noise and I thought that maybe the pipe was leaking at some connection. The guys at WSP tried to help, they thought that maybe I had a leak, so I took it to Midas and they could not find a leak. They ran that stethescope thingy all over the pipe, they did say that I had a nice y-pipe with nice welds on it though. I lived with the noise, till I could not take it any more, so I wrapped it with header wrap and all is quiet now . Before I wrapped the pipe the sound I had was worse at start up time and went away as the engine heated up.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:36 PM
Custom User Title

Where can I find header wrap? I'm suprised Autozone doesnt carry anything like that...
Old 06-30-2003, 10:42 PM

Yeah i tried a bunch of different things. The right side of the hanger touches the car so i put rubber inbetween but it didnt solve the rattling problem if thats what the problem even was. The gasket between the cat and Y only crushed on one side of the ring so i think that might have something to do with the leak. So i put fire proof caulking between the pipes which helped alot in the beginning. But after a handful of WOT runs, its back to where it was before i messed with it tonight. Should i get new gaskets and try again or not? I can get them at an Autozone or something, right? Part #'s?

Im getting to the point where im gonna give up on this one and take it into a shop and hopefully then wont take me for a ride. I'm gonna go to a bunch of shops in the morning to get estimates and ask how they plan to fix it. If it doesnt sound too complicated i'll give it one last shot before i hand it over. Will it do damage by having a leak, like warping pipes, if i dont get it fixed right away?
Old 07-02-2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by ImStockBaby
Where can I find header wrap? I'm suprised Autozone doesnt carry anything like that...
I bought mine on Ebay for $28 dollars (50 ft).
Old 07-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Custom User Title

Originally posted by 1996blackmax

Are you hearing a hiss or what type of noise? I had the same problems at first, the banging on the shifter and dash. I just moved the hanger brackets in toward the pipe and away from the bolt/nipple things on the car body, one on each side. I also thought I had a leak too. I had the bees in the can noise and I thought that maybe the pipe was leaking at some connection. The guys at WSP tried to help, they thought that maybe I had a leak, so I took it to Midas and they could not find a leak. They ran that stethescope thingy all over the pipe, they did say that I had a nice y-pipe with nice welds on it though. I lived with the noise, till I could not take it any more, so I wrapped it with header wrap and all is quiet now . Before I wrapped the pipe the sound I had was worse at start up time and went away as the engine heated up.
Did you wrap the flex section too? How did u wrap the y-pipe? I'm having sort of a rattle snake noise when i get on the gas with my budget???
Old 07-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Banned

i get the rattlesnake too...i'm thinking wrapping it will get rid of it....
Old 07-08-2003, 09:03 PM

Did you wrap the flex section too? How did u wrap the y-pipe? I'm having sort of a rattle snake noise when i get on the gas with my budget???
My noise was a bees in the can/criquets/VW Beetle sound, but I guess it also resembled a rattle snake sound. I wrapped my pipe from just below the O2 sensors all the way back to the cat. I did not wrap the cat, just to the end of the y-pipe, and I did wrapped the flex section. Just remember to overlap the header wrap only about a 1/4". I used hose clamps to hold the wrap in place at each end. Make sure you wrap it tight. I only wrapped from below the O2 sensors on because it was too much of a pain to do it from the top with the pipe on the car. You can go to

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/520

and check out his write up, it is a great web site.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Custom User Title

My noise was a bees in the can/criquets/VW Beetle sound, but I guess it also resembled a rattle snake sound. I wrapped my pipe from just below the O2 sensors all the way back to the cat. I did not wrap the cat, just to the end of the y-pipe, and I did wrapped the flex section. Just remember to overlap the header wrap only about a 1/4". I used hose clamps to hold the wrap in place at each end. Make sure you wrap it tight. I only wrapped from below the O2 sensors on because it was too much of a pain to do it from the top with the pipe on the car. You can go to

So doing this solved the rattle snake noise? I'm bidding on some header wrap on ebay right now so hopefully it will solve the noise issue.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Custom User Title

So doing this solved the rattle snake noise? If so im def. doing some header wrap.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:34 PM

So doing this solved the rattle snake noise? If so im def. doing some header wrap.

Yes, the noise is greatly reduced. I now hear more of the slight rumble from my muffler (stock cat-back). I do not get annoyed while driving with the windows down anymore .
Old 07-14-2003, 07:24 AM

GUYS GUYS GUYS

Listen The noise you are hearing is is normal for the budget Y pipe.
Also to prove it a buddy of mine has a Budget Ypipe he hates it because of the rattle snake bees in the can sound. Just ask 99Maxima5sp his name is Erick. Thats why you need a warpspeed...
Old 07-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Custom User Title

Ok, may seem ghetto but it works, i took some aluminum foil, double layers, and wrapped it around the flex section and the noise is 98% GONE! I also clamped it down with two hose clamps and one week later it's holding up fine. Anyone got the silver version of the Budget y-pipe? (used to be black but now they come silver)
Old 07-15-2003, 03:23 AM

stillen pipe..no bees, rattelsnakes, beatles, bugs or any other animal in my car. sounds 98% stock. that aluminum foil theory sounds cool.. its like ghetto wrap... make it trifold and wrap it around like header wrap.. over flex pipe and use some ss hose clamps... that is probably where most leaks come from..that dont work, try ebay header/exhaust wrap, replace flange gastet, then o crush rings. still got bees? sell it and buy a stillen pipe.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:41 PM

Re: GUYS GUYS GUYS

Originally posted by Timz96SE
Listen The noise you are hearing is is normal for the budget Y pipe.
Also to prove it a buddy of mine has a Budget Ypipe he hates it because of the rattle snake bees in the can sound. Just ask 99Maxima5sp his name is Erick. Thats why you need a warpspeed...

Look at my sig, I have a Warpseed, and still ended up with all of the noises. I wrapped it and it is nice and quiet now. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go with Budget, would have saved over $125 dollars. I bought the more expensive WSP pipe because they claimed that their pipes did not have the Budget pipe noises. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my WSP pipe, but I would have rather saved some money.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:37 PM

I wrapped my flex and it did wonders. The only concern I have is that the one of the wrap was fraying so I taped it to keep it from fraying anymore but I forgot to take the tape off after I was done and now it smokes a little. Will this affect the wrap or should I just put up with the smell until the tape is burned off enventually?