4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Unsure which Y-Pipe

Old 08-14-2015, 08:18 PM

Unsure which Y-Pipe

I inherited my 1995 Maxima SE from my father in 2011 with 100,400 miles. Really, except for a few minor issues (and new rusting on the right-rear wheel well), it's been an awesome car for the dang near 80,000 miles I've put on it since.

Now I have a leaking flex tube. So it's time to replace the Y-pipe. Hopefully without spending an arm and a leg.

Only, I'm not really sure which one to get and what year to use...

See, the stickers show my Maxima was built 08/94. VIN comes back as a 1995. Not having yet gotten under the car and looked at the exhaust system, do you think I need to worry about not having a 1995 system?

Also, having read all the y-pipe posts on here, I'm torn between the "DNA" $140 ebay system (with headers) and just spending the $275 for the Warpspeed.

I'm looking for the easiest install and not worried about performance increases, this is a daily driver and I'm fully satisfied with the current performance and 30MPG I still get.

Should I go inexpensive and try to fit the ebay y-pipe, or buy the Warpspeed and not have to worry about fitment?
Old 08-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Go with the warpspeed, you want to get the fed spec ypipe. Fitment is perfect and quality is all there.

Never heard of "DNA" brand exhaust and probably for good reason lol.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:04 PM

You have 1995 year model car. Cars are not made by the calendar year. Right now all the car makers have been cranking out the 2016 models for about 2 months now. In regards to your 1995, Nissan started making the 1995 models in April of 1994.

As for the y-pipe, you say you want the easiest install, so that means the Warpspeed y-pipe.

Changing headers can be a bear even when everything goes as expected. There have been lots of problems with the fitment of the cheap e-bay headers, which becomes a time consuming headache. A lot of those e-bay headers don't have the O2 sensor bungs in them and you either have to have them added yourself of have a constant check engine light.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:49 AM
Administrator

^this
Old 08-15-2015, 06:16 AM

Replacement flex sections can be purchased on ebay. Any exhaust shop should be able to cut old section out and weld in new section. I would check this out before replacing ypipe.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by stromm
.....I'm looking for the easiest install and not worried about performance increases, this is a daily driver and I'm fully satisfied with the current performance and 30MPG I still get......
Not to tease you or anything,OK maybe a little, but an aftermarket Y pipe will improve gas mileage as well. It improves engine breathing, and therefore you will wind up with a lighter foot on the throttle when at cruising speeds. This will happen after the period where you keep getting tempted to "get-on-it" just to feel it working
Old 08-15-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Not to tease you or anything,OK maybe a little, but an aftermarket Y pipe will improve gas mileage as well. It improves engine breathing, and therefore you will wind up with a lighter foot on the throttle when at cruising speeds. This will happen after the period where you keep getting tempted to "get-on-it" just to feel it working
Ugg, I hate you
Old 08-15-2015, 07:18 PM

I am the original owner of a 95SE, 08/94 build date. I got a stainless steel y-pipe from Budget Exhaust out of Burlington, Ontario in June 2004. I coupled it with a K&N panel filter. No bees in the can noise. I really noticed a difference when I put my foot in it when it was first installed.

motorvate.ca had a dyno on it on their website. IIRC, 15 whp and 18 ft. lbs of torque increase.

The component removes a restrictive flange and a pre-cat and breathes better than OEM.

As far as improve mpg, I doubt it.

Last edited by Bobo; 08-28-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 PM

So i took the car to Monro to get it up on a lift for a quick look. Not pretty.

Definitely a failing flex pipe. I found out, its been replaced before too. A shock to see weld marks between the flex pip and flang and in front of it near the bend on the Y-pipe. This was my father's car and he only took it to Nissan. I don't remember him ever mentioning an exhaust issue either. Time to look through his service order paperwork again.

So, the shop said they won't touch whats there "the flanges are rusted too thin" and they won't cut a second time on the existing pipe.

Of course they want to replace the whole system from not including manifolds. $2900.00!!!!!! No way! The car might be worth that much.

Looks like I have to find a mom&pop shop to see if they will cut/weld a new flex in.

Anyone know of a good shop in Central Ohio, Columbus North to Marion?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...-pipe-bit.html

$2900 seems reasonable, lol

Here is a thread (link above) that may have useful info for you. There is a link in that thread for a replacement section of flex pipe from ebay.

Are you still considering an aftermarket y-pipe? or just wanting a muffler shop to fix the failing flex pipe section and be done with it?

What are your thoughts about the warpspeed y-pipe? Seems like it fits your wants/needs. I'm just curious
Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 AM

Im 50/50 on flex only or warpspeed.

Not being an expert on metal, my opion of the cat flange almost agrees with the monro tech's. Which makes me lean more towards the warpspeed+cat. Im not opposed to sending that much, but definitely not $2900. The system downstream od the cat looks really good.

If I can get away with just a flex tube, that would be awesome. I just called a mom and pop shop I have used in the past and he isn't sure he will be able to cut out the flex and weld a new one in. Not just because of the age of the pipes, but also bebause of the layout.

Next step is to take pics, post and see what you guys think.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:16 AM

Walker's Y pipe is a direct fit as well, it you are looking for other options. No where near the performance gains as a warpspeed of budget Y but its another option.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:17 AM

Walker's y-pipe costs more than Warpseed's and a cat. Although the Walker has the pre-cats.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:01 PM

You may be paying a similar price for your two options. They may come out even.

1) Pay for the flex pipe and labor to have it welded together, if you can find a shop to do it.
2) Pay for a used y pipe.

Keep looking around the for sale section for a used y pipe, and then install it yourself. That's what I would do.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dave H.
Keep looking around the for sale section for a used y pipe, and then install it yourself. That's what I would do.
That's my main thought. Concern I have is the cat flange will fall apart and then I'm without the car for a few days (daily driver)...
Old 08-27-2015, 04:13 PM

Well, I got my car fixed. Took it to a guy who's done good work on my '94 ImpalaSS. He pointed out where the flex tube had been replaced in the past, and that they used sleeves to do it. They welded the sleeves to the flex tube nubs, then over the nubs in front of the main cat and behind the Y-Pipe's "bend". I guess this left "two" pipes, one inside the other for 6-8"s.

Anywho, he cut through those to remove the old flex pipe. Then weld a sleeve on each end of a new flex, with a bit of some bends and then clamped those on to the old pipes. Since I didn't get the cheap ebay flex and needed some clamps and "extra" labor, all and all $175. Well worth it while I decide if I'm going to keep this after Winter.

Might still do the Warpspeed and new main cat. But since the main cat's flanges (both sides) are rusted solid, it'll need cut out and the new one clamped/welded in...

Thanks all for the suggestions.