4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Think about getting a maxima *help*

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 09:35 PM

Think about getting a maxima *help*

i was thinking of getting a 99 SE. The reason i have a interest in this car over a civic, accord or other jap cars is the speed. i like the fact that i can get 15 and 14's with a few mods. AND 0-60 UNDER 7 SECONDS!! Is this true? But, im worried that if i get one, ill have some major probs.

-Are maximas reliable? i know hondas runs great after a lot of miles, but do maximas run good after 50K miles? do small stuff break after 50K miles?

1.can anyone convince me to get a max, or to look for a alternative?

and i also kinda find it sad, that the only good perfomance mod u can do is illegal (y-pipe).

2. but how much of a difference in 0-60 would this mod made including with a intake?

3. is it true, that i can get 0-60 under 7 sec. stock?

i was gonna just add a intake, and exaust, and MAYBE a y-pipe,

i know there is a faq, but i need personal experiance. thanks alot, and ur opionions can be worth $13000........
Old 06-30-2003, 10:03 PM

Re: Think about getting a maxima *help*

ok, first off maximas are known for reliability, i had a 90 se(hand me down from parents bought new in 89) before my 99 and at 13years old and 117,000 miles the only problems i had where bad fuel injectors(dad and i fixed) and a hole in my muffler(new england winters). my new 99 ive had a year has needed a cruise control computer 368$(very unexpected) and the standard 50k brakes(new rotors)218$.

the y pipe is only illegal until the car reaches normal operating temp.5-10min

my 0-60 geteched at 6.8sec and 15.3 in the 1/4 with intake and y pipe

a 5speed maxima will do 60 in under 7 sec easily with a good driver, ive heard they get around 6.7-6.6

no maybe about the y pipe, if you get a maxima get a y pipe. just keep your stock y incase for some reason you do fail emissions.

if i were you id get a 5speed, it wasnt an option for me and i only found one, in bad shape anyway

good luck
Old 06-30-2003, 11:12 PM

i would need to get rotors for 200$! damn, this is the stuff i need to know about. hondas dont need this kind of crap rigth
Old 06-30-2003, 11:50 PM

Hondas will need rotors no less than any other. I think maximas are every bit as reliable as a honda, perhaps even more...the VQ engine has consitently won awards, and I rarely hear of a maxima engine failure. At 76K mine has never burned a drop of oil, and has always blown away "sport compacts" There are enough mods to speed up a max but not as many as a civic or integra. Have no regrets...get a max...no one expects a midsize sedan to waste a ricer, but believe it. On top of performance and reliability, the max is more spacious and luxurious than a honda. You can comfortably suit passengers in the back, and the fit and finish of the interior is much more classy. You wont feel like youre driving an economy car, the class a civic resides in. I researched for 6 months on what car to get...I could go on for hours listing reasons why to get a max...its up to you though!
Old 07-01-2003, 12:04 AM

three more things...a 99 would be great anyway...99 is the last of the 4th gen and any initial problems were fixed at this point. I know honda is associated with reliability, but they are not bulletproof. Tell that to my sister whos accord burned tons of oil and shot a rod at 122K. Lastly, check the list of cars most commonly stolen...you will find the acura integra on the list...1.9% of all integras are will be stolen. The accord and civic I believe are also very high on this list. Im not saying honda is a bad product...I'd say all and all the maxima is the best value.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:10 AM

rotors is normal, just like brake pads and oil and such. the person who owned the car before me ran the brakes into the ground and 3 weeks after i got it the rotors warped and they could only resurface them one more time before they became too thin.

i agree with everything he said, someone on here once said something like "if your maxima loses to a civic no one cares, but if you win well holy ****"
Old 07-01-2003, 07:19 AM

Re: Re: Think about getting a maxima *help*

Originally posted by BadKarma99-4spd
the y pipe is only illegal until the car reaches normal operating temp.5-10min
Wrong. The Y pipe is illegal period. The function of the precats on the stock Y pipe is to control emissions until the cat gets to operating temperature, so you're correct on that. But the Y pipe doesn't magically become legal when that happens.

Not that it should stop you from having one -- I do. But make no mistake, it is illegal for street use.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't get a civic, please

The maxima is far better than a civic, and the resale of the 4th gens right now, why not get one? Like everyone else has said, the reliability is there, I dare someone to TRY and blow an NA VQ, I tap rev limiter all the time in mine, and it's never once b!tched at me for it, just keeps on pullin. I've had one problem, the bearings in ym trannie, I guess you could say it's common in a maxima, but mine had 100K on it and I beat the crap out my car, so it wasn't a suprise. Get a maxima, you won't regret it
Old 07-01-2003, 08:57 AM

comparing Maxima's with Civics? oh gawd...not a fair comparison,
and I REALLY hope you think so too...One is a TOP OF THE BRAND model,
and the other is the BOTTOM of the BRAND.

as for the Y-pipe debate, not sure why it's illegal if emmisions are OK.

FLO_BOY
Old 07-01-2003, 10:48 AM

no no no...
i wasnt trying to compare to a civic. im just trying to see if they are reliable?! THis will be my first car (lisence in oct).

SO im just doing some research.
and is there any difference in SPEED in the SE and GXE, GLE?

i know u just have to let teh car go for a while before the emission test, but will the Y cause any probs?

And one last q, about teh intake. Can a shop install it for me? i dont want to F something up, so i would rather just pay 20$ to install it. and do i need to make a hole for teh cai?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:52 AM

damn, i see alot of "crap it broke again" threads in here. can anyone back it up? im not trying to flame
Old 07-01-2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by baseer
damn, i see alot of "crap it broke again" threads in here. can anyone back it up? im not trying to flame

think about it -- how many people are gonna post "guys, everything
is working great" -- you see posts about problems because that's why
people come here -- for information to solve problems.

FLO_BOY
Old 07-01-2003, 10:59 AM

SO im just doing some research.
and is there any difference in SPEED in the SE and GXE, GLE?

i know u just have to let teh car go for a while before the emission test, but will the Y cause any probs?

And one last q, about teh intake. Can a shop install it for me? i dont want to F something up, so i would rather just pay 20$ to install it. and do i need to make a hole for teh cai?
some answers:

1) Speed? 95/96 are the fastest 4th gen Maximas -- they have less
metal in the doors...There is a speed limiter on GXE models, but,
I'm sure someone here has been able to turn it off.

For other differences (body, suspension, trim) check the FAQs at the top.

2) Y pipe causes one problem -- you'll want to floor it every time

3) intake has 4 bolts and bolts right onto car...mechanic is a bit of
a waste of money...no holes to drill.

The Maxima engine has been on Ward's Ten Best Engine list for over 12
years...it is very strong...and after 192K Kms on my car, I can easily
keep up with almost anything on the road.

FLO_BOY

hope this helps!
FLO_BOY
Old 07-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

civics reliable? well in some cases. not in the case of my friends 2000 SI. The max is one of the few cars don't won't ask you for much as long as you do the regular maintanace.
The VQ is by far one of the best engines ever made. Why is Nissan using the VQ for almost all their cars bow days?
Sure you will have some problem from time to time, but guess what? The civic will also have the same or more problems.
The VQ also uses a time chain which in most cases you will never have to deal with it. Civics use a timing belt that will need to be replaced or adjust every so thousand miles.
Don't get me wrong civics are great cars but as far as reliability, The maxima is all over the civic, ans well as confort, and speed.
My car now has 80K miles on stock rotors, and they are still braking better than my friend's SI that just replaced the rotors about 4 months ago with slotted rotors.
Is up to you to make the choice.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:19 PM

also.... i dont know how to drive a stick. i want to learn, but i only have my permit. but lets just say that i get a auto, is it worth getting mods? I just want to beat my friends 98 prelude, and get around 15 at the 1/4.
i was gonna get intake, y-pipe, what will my 1/4 mile be?
Old 07-01-2003, 03:49 PM

AS for the manual vs auto here is a link for you :

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=229247

As for the prelude question they are quick cars, is his the 5 spd Vtec? If so, he would have no problem taking a stock auto max. As, for manual vs manual , It would be close, but max would take him.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Banned

umm yes! auto's are fine...and we have things like valvebody mods and resistors drops to make us shift faster...it is definitly be worth modding an auto. if all you want to do is beat your friends prelude. intake a full exhaust with soem racing slicks will guarantee you'll slap him aroud, if he is running 15s....
Old 07-01-2003, 04:58 PM

if i just have a itake, y-pipe, and exaust? wat would i run with auto? this is also a se....
but i saw a killer deal, 99 se fully loaded (but no cd) stick with 40K miles for only 12500!! but autos are all over 13 with high miles.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

I have 99 Maxima GLE, and It runs Great. No major Problem what so ever. Some minor problems which I fix it. And I tunned up my car at the dealership which I don't Recommend. I have 51,200 on my car right now, car runs very smooth. You can't go wrong with Maxima. Just get one....
Old 07-01-2003, 07:10 PM

if i just have a itake, y-pipe, and exaust? wat would i run with auto? this is also a se....
but i saw a killer deal, 99 se fully loaded (but no cd) stick with 40K miles for only 12500!! but autos are all over 13 with high miles.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:30 PM

please guys, give me some honest opinions. i know all of u will say get a maxima.

Im looking for some thing with a little luxiry, speed, and really alot of good control.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:03 PM

just get the maxima, it is a reliable car, i have 110K, no problems at all....my cousins 98 has 160K and all hes got changed was his starter
Old 07-01-2003, 08:51 PM

yo patel, do u know the patel brothers store? app ka say hey?
how is ur auto? i was thinking of getting a auto since i cant drive stick. hows is ur 1/4 mile nad 0-60 time?
Old 07-01-2003, 09:43 PM

how is ur auto? i was thinking of getting a auto since i cant drive stick. hows is ur 1/4 mile nad 0-60 time?
my car geteched at 15.3 in the quarter, i havent had the chance to get to a 1/4 track
Old 07-01-2003, 10:02 PM

yeah i know the store but we don't own it or anything, patel is like smith, its a very common last name, haha

but my auto's really good, i honestly haven't had any troubles with it at all, but you have to make sure to do the regular mainenence stuff and you'll be fine, i haven't ran the 1/4 yet so i don't know, but if you have any other questions, PM me or hit me up on AIM, and get a maxima, you'll enjoy it, alot better than a civic IMO
Old 07-01-2003, 10:28 PM

please guys, give me some honest opinions. i know all of u will say get a maxima.

Im looking for some thing with a little luxiry, speed, and really alot of good control.
Of course people will say to get a Maxima. You realize where you're asking, right?

If you want good control (handling), you'll have to put some money into it. A stock Maxima handles like a barge.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:30 PM

Hey guys, everything IS going great!!
Haha...get the 99! 12500 is a damn bargain.
Just cuz you cant drive a manual doesnt mean you should count it out though. If you have any sort of self control you can probably learn how in a matter of a couple hours...you WONT regret buying a manual! But, if it isn't your thing, and auto max is still better than no max, but the manual gives you a jump on your power as it is
Old 07-02-2003, 03:20 PM

how do maximas with y-pipem and intake compare to integras, preludes, and mustangs at the track?
Old 07-02-2003, 03:59 PM
You will lose

I have a 99 Max w/ 100K, and it is an auto. Runs strong, and haven't had any problems at all. My Civic that I had was a nightmare. I had a ton of problems including throwing a rod out of the side of the engine at 65K. I can say without any doubt that I enjoy the Max alot more than the Civic. I had intake, exhaust, and a couple little minor bolt ons with the Civic, And there is no chance it would keep up with my Max. I ran a 15.7 1/4 before I ever touched the Max, My Civic couldn't do that downhill. I am probably down to mid to high 14's now with less than $1600 in parts. And most of the money was in suspension. Only about $900 in true go-fast parts. Get the Max, and smoke a Honda. A couple of days ago, I walked a new Mustang out of the toll booth from 25-80 MPH. You should have seen the look on his face...
Old 07-02-2003, 10:40 PM

i want to spend around 1000-1200 to get good handling, looks and speed. i think that is easy attainable. with a auto, wat kind of speed will i be getting with intake, ypipe? i dont need to waste money on a exaust because there is little power difference.

and what kind of probs are u guys talking about? probs at 50K miles? wtf, even minor probs shouldnt happen thaat early