4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help, Suspension Replacement (OEM to OEM) Did I forget anything?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 12:59 PM

Need Help, Suspension Replacement (OEM to OEM) Did I forget anything?

Recently bought used SE Springs as well as struts and shocks for a member on the .org. I will also need to replace the following (am I missing anything?)

Upper Strut Mounts
Spring Isolators (4 front, 2 back)

Various Nissan dealerships are bending me over the table on these. The FAQ says courtesy will charge about 6.50 per isolator, however they are quoting me 11.00 each... any other alternatives to buy?

A Nissan dealership I called also asked if needed to replace the insulators on each side....Dunno, do I?

Here are the prices I was quoted for the parts, is there anywhere I can do better?

Mounts - 26.38 each
Insulators - 48.84 each
Spring Isolators - Approx 10.50 each from local dealer (cheaper than courtesy)

If i've forgotton anything, please let me know as well. Hopefully I can get everything taken care of with one visit to the shop.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do you know you need new mounts? They are just metal plates with hard rubber inserts. They should last you quite awhile.

Spring ISOLATORS (rubber sleeves) are a good idea to replace.

The top rubber mounts (rubber rings) that the springs sit in might need to be replaced also.

Spring INSULATORS? At $48 a pop? I've never heard of this part and can't think of one that would cost that much. Do you have a part number for it offhand?
Old 07-02-2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by sbslacker
How do you know you need new mounts? They are just metal plates with hard rubber inserts. They should last you quite awhile.

Spring ISOLATORS (rubber sleeves) are a good idea to replace.

The top rubber mounts (rubber rings) that the springs sit in might need to be replaced also.

Spring INSULATORS? At $48 a pop? I've never heard of this part and can't think of one that would cost that much. Do you have a part number for it offhand?
The reason I had planned to replace the mounts was because I recently hit 114k on my max, and it still has the original suspension. From the search I did on suspensions, many replies have suggusted that it is a good idea to do. Also, what is the plastic/rubber boot that protects the struts from outside contaminates? The ones on my car right now are currently cracked and split. If someone could give me a breakdown on what exactly I should buy in addition to Springs/Shocks/Struts it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Rooster286
The reason I had planned to replace the mounts was because I recently hit 114k on my max, and it still has the original suspension. From the search I did on suspensions, many replies have suggusted that it is a good idea to do. Also, what is the plastic/rubber boot that protects the struts from outside contaminates? The ones on my car right now are currently cracked and split. If someone could give me a breakdown on what exactly I should buy in addition to Springs/Shocks/Struts it would be greatly appreciated.
Mounts are $$. If your assembly is loose then it might need to be replaced, but the the whole assembly is sitting in the car fine then I wouldn't get them. Up to you though.

Ahhh...dust boots. They protect the piston from outside contaminates. I've never heard them called insulators before. Anyway, I used KYB boots...got all 4 for 50-something dollars at tire rack. Cheaper and they're made better/last longer.

Search for 'suspension replacement parts'...that should give you several threads on what to buy.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:03 PM

thanks for the info....would you guys reccomend a baring replacement as well?
Old 07-02-2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Rooster286
thanks for the info....would you guys reccomend a baring replacement as well?
I assume that the strut mount includes the strut bearing - which is the major source of squeaking when it got old. So, even though you are not replacing the strut mount, change the bearing. The bearing is some kind of a plastic ring. Just curious, can't you reuse the spring isolators? Boy, they are expensive for no reason!!
Lo-Tse
Old 07-02-2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Lo-Tse

I assume that the strut mount includes the strut bearing - which is the major source of squeaking when it got old. So, even though you are not replacing the strut mount, change the bearing. The bearing is some kind of a plastic ring. Just curious, can't you reuse the spring isolators? Boy, they are expensive for no reason!!
Lo-Tse

So by getting new mounts it will include the bearing???

I'm looking at the KYB and OEM mounts...
Old 07-03-2003, 12:51 AM

No. The strut bearing is a separate piece. Look here...
See the grey piece above the flash reflection but below the strut mount? That's the strut bearing. It's a little plastic piece that costs around $10-$15. It's a good idea to replace these when fooling around with your suspension. You need two...right front and left front. The rears don't need them.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:17 AM

i think new kyb strut mounts come with new bearings, are 36$ ish each. if not, i would replace the bearings and not the mounts if your on budget. your gonna be on stock se springs which are still pretty soft.. they shouldnt blow the mounts. but blown bearings squeek like a craazy. if the plastic is still in good shape u can prolly regrease the bearings nad reuse them.

spring isloaots can be bought for about 4 bux at radio shack.. use their urathane wire wrap. good stuff. the set i got was enough for all 4 springs.

u can use rancho dust boots from summitracing.com. they are like 6 bux a piece.. made of urathane which will outlast your rubber factory ones. u wont need kyb boots because since your goign se suspsenion, u wont have to cut your bump stops(which the kyb boots come with)
Old 07-03-2003, 01:46 AM

Thanks for the extra information guys...I think that damned rubbery squeal my car has been emitting for about a week may be that bearing...much appreciated again!