4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bleeding the brakes with ABS - need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bleeding the brakes with ABS - need advice...

I want to flush the entire braking system , and i'm not sure how to bleed with the ABS , HAYNES says to disable the ABS by pulling out the fuse
I know how to work on the brakes and stuff , but I want to make sure that there is no special way of doing it because of ABS.

thanks in advance

Nick
Old 07-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Ramius83

Just do what the manual says. I think that the ABS fuse is underneath the steering wheel in that fuse block. Also, there may be another in the engine bay in one of those two fuse blocks. Third, you can also disconnect the sensor/harness going into the actual ABS unit.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:21 PM

thanks .... but still confused...

I know there is more involved than that , pretty much all i want to know is - after deactivating the ABS system - bleed the brakes the same way as in no ABS, or there is a certain way of doing that ???
I don't want to get my ABS messed up , but i really want to flush and refill the brake system to get rid of spongy brake pedal

Nick
Old 07-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Pull the fuse? The car is off when you bleed the brakes, why pull a fuse - Makes no sense.

Start on one caliper (left front is closer and will make it quicker) and bleed several full reserves through until your brake reserve has all nice clean fresh fluid to draw from. Once you get to that point, the other 3 go very quickly because you draw only clean fluid through the system. NEVER LET THE RESERVE RUN DRY!!!

A hand held vaccume pump makes it a one man job.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:08 PM

I flushed my whole system w/o doing anything to the ABS system and it seemed fine. The brakes work fine now, no problems.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:50 PM

thanks again guys !!!!

will do that next week when my front Tokico's get here

here is what the HAYNES says page 9-16
"On models equiped with ABS, turn the ignition OFF and disconnect the four electrical connectors from the ABS actuator"

ok, what electrical connectors they are talking about , and where is the ABS actuator located at ??? the HAYNES isn't to detailed ...

Nick
Old 07-11-2003, 10:41 PM

Re: thanks again guys !!!!

I have the Nissan FSM for a 98. It says "For models with ABS, turn the ignition switch OFF and dis-connect ABS actuator connectors or battery ground cable." Haynes got it half right. Bleed the brakes in this order:

Right Rear
Left Front
Left Rear
Right Front

DW

Originally posted by nick
will do that next week when my front Tokico's get here

here is what the HAYNES says page 9-16
"On models equiped with ABS, turn the ignition OFF and disconnect the four electrical connectors from the ABS actuator"

ok, what electrical connectors they are talking about , and where is the ABS actuator located at ??? the HAYNES isn't to detailed ...

Nick
Old 07-12-2003, 06:27 AM

I did mine a couple of weeks ago. I disconnected the ABS wires(not sure if I got it right) and then did it in the order just stated. The manual shows the rough location of the ABS connectors, so I just looked in that area and just disconnected any electrical plug I could find. Got 2 or 3 just to make sure. All seems to be working well...infact the ABS is working better now. Before it used to lock a wheel under real heavy braking.