4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nissan made a mistake with GLE vs SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003 | 11:25 PM
Sports Button FTW

Nissan made a mistake with GLE vs SE

ok, i'm looking at how the GLE's are fully loaded but dont have what SE's have which is fog lights and a spoiler. You can find SE's which have everything a GLE has plus these two additions which in my opinion any sane man would want. Atleast want the fog lights. Now the new maxima's all come with fog lights because nissan finally understands its something that improves the value of the car. Why would the highest, most expensive model of the maxima in 4th gen not have fog lights????

Doesnt make sense to me at all. I know this is old news but i'm bored and i just thought it was stupid ever since i had my 95 GLE years ago. and now i have an SE with more features than my GLE...
Old 07-16-2003 | 11:31 PM
Dev

well the GLE is the luxury edition...targetted for the older crowd (i guess all maxima's are actually)

but there are always "higher" models that come will less stuff
look at the altima
the 2.5S is more expensive than the 3.5SE
but it doesn't have fogs, doesn't have 17's, doesn't have dual exhaust, doesn't have sports suspension, doesn't have 240hp
but some people will still buy it

just to add to your point tho...up here in canada, the SE's also come with VLSD stock

i think it looks better without the chrome trim as well...so i dunno what sells the GLE over an SE really...
Old 07-16-2003 | 11:33 PM
will fly for food

Re: Nissan made a mistake with GLE vs SE

Originally posted by meccanoble
ok, i'm looking at how the GLE's are fully loaded but dont have what SE's have which is fog lights and a spoiler. You can find SE's which have everything a GLE has plus these two additions which in my opinion any sane man would want. Atleast want the fog lights. Now the new maxima's all come with fog lights because nissan finally understands its something that improves the value of the car. Why would the highest, most expensive model of the maxima in 4th gen not have fog lights????

Doesnt make sense to me at all. I know this is old news but i'm bored and i just thought it was stupid ever since i had my 95 GLE years ago. and now i have an SE with more features than my GLE...
I guess they were thinking if you're going for luxury, you want just that- luxury. Foglights & Spoiler were an option for the GLE tho.. I've seen plenty of stock GLE's with foglights and spoiler. The GLE's without either, in my opinion were geared at the 60+ crowd (Granny probably wouldnt want white face gauges, or even a spoiler..unless she's going through a 4th or 5th childhood).. it's good people like the GLE owners on here that help them out by adding foglights, spoilers, white face gauges & such.. to reduce the granny effect!
Old 07-16-2003 | 11:37 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

see mecca...

there are these things called options...
Old 07-16-2003 | 11:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mecca. Stop. Dont hate on the GLES boyyyyy. I have a GLE. No Foglights, but who cars about foglights? I can see just fine at night with my regular headlights. And a wing? had it, Changed it. Wings come and go. No big deal at all. And the Chrome trim is very important for my car, as my car is all black and Chrome. I have friends that wanna change there stock Painted grill to the Chrome grill. Opinions are diffrent. Plus we got SAWBLADES BOYYYYYYY. They add 10HP just because of the Way they flow.

Ok, im done, let me stop. Peace
Old 07-16-2003 | 11:58 PM

Re: Re: Nissan made a mistake with GLE vs SE

Originally posted by Maxima99SEbose

I guess they were thinking if you're going for luxury, you want just that- luxury. Foglights & Spoiler were an option for the GLE tho.. I've seen plenty of stock GLE's with foglights and spoiler. The GLE's without either, in my opinion were geared at the 60+ crowd (Granny probably wouldnt want white face gauges, or even a spoiler..unless she's going through a 4th or 5th childhood).. it's good people like the GLE owners on here that help them out by adding foglights, spoilers, white face gauges & such.. to reduce the granny effect!
I have a GLE but if you dont know jack about maxima's you would think its an SE. Its just the chrome door handles and the silver trim that throws me off.

The funniest thing is that I thought the sunroof was standard on all GLE's until I notice my buddies GLE does not have a sunroof.
Old 07-17-2003 | 12:52 AM
Sports Button FTW

i'm saying though, whether u r 5 or 155, everyone should and would rather want fog lights, not only for better looks (opinionated) but for better visibility when driving.

And i know these are all options but fog lights are not an option as we would think they are. Fog lights on a GLE/GXE are not as optional as finding a maxima with leather seats or climate control. For example, i bet when they came out with 4th gens, they had different types all over, SE's with leather, some without. They werent just custom made right before the buyer decided what he wanted, not in the most part atleast. Fog lights are not an option really, its like a customized job. You cant find any GLe's in a lot with fog lights unless u specially said you wanted them u know?

dont mean to break it down so hard but my view of why the GLE has no fogs still boggles me. Its not as optional as a maxima with cream or black interior u know? But i understand how u broke it down with the altima Dev. I didnt know stuff like that was still happening. I always thought the 3.5 SE was more expensive than the 2.5, and thats why people went for the 2.5 besides maybe better gas mileage...?

and i'm not hating on GLE's, i had one and i love them for being fully loaded, thats why i had to get a fully loaded SE because i wanted my interior to look ALMOST identical to a GLe
Old 07-17-2003 | 12:52 AM
V^___^V

some people perfer GLE since it's the luxurious model with softer suspension and automagic (like the old people), and the SE model will have stiffer suspension with 5-spd as option... which kinda defeats the purpose for being luxurious (in some people's view).

IMO GLE is for old people
Old 07-17-2003 | 12:56 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by happyricefob
some people perfer GLE since it's the luxurious model with softer suspension and automagic (like the old people), and the SE model will have stiffer suspension with 5-spd as option... which kinda defeats the purpose for being luxurious (in some people's view).

IMO GLE is for old people
i guess i may have worded this thread incorrectly. I know that the GLE is geared toward old aka lazy people but my main arguement is why they didnt have fog lights on GLE's. Spoiler i can understand cause it makes car look sportier and costs more but fog lights are there for a purpose besides looks...maybe GXE's shouldnt have come with them but GLE's should have. GLE's are supposed to be fully loaded and fog lights are an option that should have been thrown in...IMO

hey jetblackmax automatic is for handicapped
Old 07-17-2003 | 01:00 AM
V^___^V

i guess i may have worded this thread incorrectly. I know that the GLE is geared toward old aka lazy people but my main arguement is why they didnt have fog lights on GLE's. Spoiler i can understand cause it makes car look sportier and costs more but fog lights are there for a purpose besides looks...maybe GXE's shouldnt have come with them but GLE's should have. GLE's are supposed to be fully loaded and fog lights are an option that should have been thrown in...IMO

hey jetblackmax automatic is for handicapped
okie i was kinda OT
Old 07-17-2003 | 05:49 AM
Kevlo for President

Why hate on the AutoMAGIC~?!
I agree about hte fogs but nissan was poor/bankruped back then so i guess they couldn't afford to make that many lights
Old 07-17-2003 | 07:49 AM

Maye they were concerned about people not finding the fog lights switch...
Old 07-17-2003 | 08:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

GLE here you punk. FOG lights and SPOILER and SE gauges...Now what mecca? always out to start some ****. haha

edit: got the 5spd tranny in this one also...
Old 07-17-2003 | 11:13 AM

To me the thing Nissan screwed up on SE was: Leather Shifter in Automatic cars!!! I have a 99 MAX with all available options and leather shifter was not available!?!
Old 07-17-2003 | 11:22 AM
Sports Button FTW

leather shifter not available? i thought all automatics came with leather shifter

and shogun96max, u may be a GLe but u r an SE at heart, converted your car to stick, u should have went my route and just got a fully loaded Se but its good to see u r a believer of MANual
Old 07-17-2003 | 11:29 AM
Granny Driven

i'm saying though, whether u r 5 or 155, everyone should and would rather want fog lights, not only for better looks (opinionated) but for better visibility when driving.

And i know these are all options but fog lights are not an option as we would think they are. Fog lights on a GLE/GXE are not as optional as finding a maxima with leather seats or climate control. For example, i bet when they came out with 4th gens, they had different types all over, SE's with leather, some without. They werent just custom made right before the buyer decided what he wanted, not in the most part atleast. Fog lights are not an option really, its like a customized job. You cant find any GLe's in a lot with fog lights unless u specially said you wanted them u know?

dont mean to break it down so hard but my view of why the GLE has no fogs still boggles me. Its not as optional as a maxima with cream or black interior u know? But i understand how u broke it down with the altima Dev. I didnt know stuff like that was still happening. I always thought the 3.5 SE was more expensive than the 2.5, and thats why people went for the 2.5 besides maybe better gas mileage...?

and i'm not hating on GLE's, i had one and i love them for being fully loaded, thats why i had to get a fully loaded SE because i wanted my interior to look ALMOST identical to a GLe

Go homeee Mecca. If u want fogs get SE, if u dont get a GLE.
Old 07-17-2003 | 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mecca didn't you own a GLE before? so why are u ragging on us GLE owners, u old fart... GLEs came equipped suitable for people who prefer a more luxurious approach to the maxima, Foglights were an option, for GLEs, Yet Se came optional with leather, bose, woodgrain all standard on the GLE, IMO apperance of foglights make the car more sport, and the lack of them give a more conservative impression. DO remember the car wasn’t designed for little riceboys, but people who would find the car sensible.

-Warm regards
Old 07-17-2003 | 12:25 PM

i got a 99 max 5-spd no leather no sunroof black with chrome trim is mine a SE or what? i'm guessing it is and i dont care for leather (it cracks) i'm gonna wrap my seats in 2tone vinyl silver and black
Old 07-17-2003 | 01:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 99maxx-on19's
i got a 99 max 5-spd no leather no sunroof black with chrome trim is mine a SE or what? i'm guessing it is and i dont care for leather (it cracks) i'm gonna wrap my seats in 2tone vinyl silver and black
No i think yours is GXE
Old 07-17-2003 | 02:01 PM

i take it you guys have not read the FAQ's lately.. it is a known fact that SE's specially 5 speed manuals are by far a superior car all around than GLE's are.
i rest my case.
Old 07-17-2003 | 02:06 PM

Re: Nissan made a mistake with GLE vs SE

I agree, Nissan should have had Fogs standard on the 95-up GLE. But the GLE, in of itself, was no mistake. It, I am sure, created alot of sales for the Maxima line. Fogs were not an "Option" as much as they were available as a dealer installed accessory (some refer to that as an "option"). Not having fogs on the Gen 4 GLE, evidently hurt no ones feelings at the time, or you would see plenty GLEs with them. You just dont.

As for the GLE being targeted at the more mature crowd, you are correct. That is why a used GLE is the best bet on avg. to find used. They were better maintained and more well taken care of. That is why I bought a GLE used. It was not abused.

It since has been "un GLE'ed". I Added spoiler, 16" 2002 SE Wheels, Dunlop Sport A2 tires, Adjustable KYB AGX struts, Factory fogs, chrome guage bezel rings etc...she handles like a dream.

Looking at used Gen 4 Max's, the GLE has aged better. The non wood trim on the doors of the Non GLE models, seem to fade and no longer match the door panel. And the Leather ages gracefully, shows no wear or fading at all. Everything is standard, except sunroof, heated seats pkg, and of course your "accessory" Spoiler and fogs. Used GLE's are about the best bet if you don't mind an Automatic.

An Automatic at the time did not bother me. It was what I needed at the time. I had a broken left foot and needed an auto car to go with my 5 -speed '91 SE-R (which I could not drive at the time and adored!). What a great combo that is.

The GLE is a great car for the used buy. Mine was bought from an "older" couple who bought it new because of its equipment and power. The car was in the garage all the time (still is) and never taken out in inclimate weather. According to them, inclimate weather was for their truck. So, I got a pristine GLE at a great price from an "older" couple who did not want (and I use their words here) a "boring Toyota, Caddillac, Honda or Buick".

Check my homepage for pics...and yes, it is what I call "grandma beige". LOL

Old 07-17-2003 | 02:11 PM

I have a 97 SE with a chrome trim
Old 07-17-2003 | 02:49 PM
Banned

i like my gle. i like my automatic tranny. shifting would be great but its so damn easy not to shift i find. the acceleration i'm losing blows but i dig my GLE. in my garage sits an 5 speed-SE and i'v owned 2 GLEs. its just a matter of taste and to add, i find the spoilerless better looking more sleek...and the rimz! they are the best of the othe models imo...but im biased. SEs are nice though...
Old 07-17-2003 | 03:05 PM
I'm so hood

Plus we got SAWBLADES BOYYYYYYY.
Hey, I got blades on tha SE

I agree with mecca in that, aside from the maxima having somewhat of a confused identity in general in my eyes, the GLE vs SE is room for more confusion. He ain' hatin, he's just pointin it out. It is a little weird how the options unfold, and I agree, fogs should be STANDARD on gles. Especially with how the 95-96 gle front fascias look on those who opted against the fogs (which really where I live, is every gle owner).

With no fogs, no spoiler, and chromie accents, the diff b/t hubbies and wheels is all you have to distinguish the most luxurious trim from the most-minima trim, the GXE.

On that note I'm not really a spoiler kind of guy generally, nor a fogs-necessary, but with the way the 4th gens are, both to me were necessary to even meet a "Yea, it's plain and simple, but I can still dig it" style level instead of a "man, that looks bad".

comin from a luxurious, heated-leather-seat gold-package w/gold exhaust finisher beige oldie person SE 5-speed driver (the couple that were the 1st owners were in their late 50s when they bought it new)
Old 07-18-2003 | 12:25 AM
henock

GXE POWER !
Old 07-18-2003 | 12:57 AM
henock

GXE POWER !
Old 07-18-2003 | 12:58 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by blizz20oma

I agree with mecca in that, aside from the maxima having somewhat of a confused identity in general in my eyes, the GLE vs SE is room for more confusion. He ain' hatin, he's just pointin it out. It is a little weird how the options unfold, and I agree, fogs should be STANDARD on gles. Especially with how the 95-96 gle front fascias look on those who opted against the fogs (which really where I live, is every gle owner).

With no fogs, no spoiler, and chromie accents, the diff b/t hubbies and wheels is all you have to distinguish the most luxurious trim from the most-minima trim, the GXE.

On that note I'm not really a spoiler kind of guy generally, nor a fogs-necessary, but with the way the 4th gens are, both to me were necessary to even meet a "Yea, it's plain and simple, but I can still dig it" style level instead of a "man, that looks bad".

comin from a luxurious, heated-leather-seat gold-package w/gold exhaust finisher beige oldie person SE 5-speed driver (the couple that were the 1st owners were in their late 50s when they bought it new)
wow i didnt know maxima.org members could read! FINALLY!!! someone who actually read my post and understands taht i'm not hating on GLE's but pointing out that fog lights are not merely an accessory to make the car more sporty but just an accessory, NOT AN OPTION but an accessory for GLE's that should have been standard.

I dont know where u guys get this idea that fog lights are an option. Leather seats are an option, 5 speed is an option, digital climate control is an option, a GXE with a sunroof is an option. You dont find any GLe's with fogs unless buyer told to add it in, something u normally can not do with leather seats or or 5 speed vs automatic.

GLE's have a better resale value, i make little jokes about them because they are all automatic but i dont hate them at all. This thread was made to point out that i believed fog lights should be standard on the highest model of the maxima's during the 4th gen period and now people are turning this into a SE vs GLE battle...
Old 07-18-2003 | 01:05 AM
Sports Button FTW

wow i didnt know maxima.org members could read! FINALLY!!! someone who actually read my post and understands taht i'm not hating on GLE's but pointing out that fog lights are not merely an accessory to make the car more sporty but just an accessory, NOT AN OPTION but an accessory for GLE's that should have been standard.

I dont know where u guys get this idea that fog lights are an option. Leather seats are an option, 5 speed is an option, digital climate control is an option, a GXE with a sunroof is an option. You dont find any GLe's with fogs unless buyer told to add it in, something u normally can not do with leather seats or or 5 speed vs automatic.

GLE's have a better resale value, i make little jokes about them because they are all automatic but i dont hate them at all. This thread was made to point out that i believed fog lights should be standard on the highest model of the maxima's during the 4th gen period and now people are turning this into a SE vs GLE battle...
Old 07-18-2003 | 10:20 AM

So does this mean that 16" SE sawblade rims actually exist?!?
Old 07-18-2003 | 10:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anybody know a site that sells a fog lamp kit (wiring et al) for my 97 Maxima?
Old 07-18-2003 | 11:17 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

They probably didn't make the fogs standard on the GLE to diferentiate the Maxima from the Infiniti I30. I think fogs were standard on the I30 back then because I've never seen an A32 without fogs.

Cheesy? Yes.

But Honda does some of the same crap in their Honda vs Acura lineups also... If the non-lux model really did have it all, then there would be almost no reason for you to spend the extra cash on the Infiniti/Acura version.
Old 07-18-2003 | 10:23 PM

Do 16" SE sawblade rims actually exist?!?
Old 07-19-2003 | 12:02 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by SteVTEC
They probably didn't make the fogs standard on the GLE to diferentiate the Maxima from the Infiniti I30. I think fogs were standard on the I30 back then because I've never seen an A32 without fogs.

Cheesy? Yes.

But Honda does some of the same crap in their Honda vs Acura lineups also... If the non-lux model really did have it all, then there would be almost no reason for you to spend the extra cash on the Infiniti/Acura version.
Good point. but then the Se shouldnt have the fog lights either. I mean they do change things that make the interior of i30 better than a maxima GLE such as back seat head rests, and stuff. And no fog lights on a GLE would make people look more at an i30 over a GLE but if thats the case why would the SE have it? Its more of a GLE vs SE that i'm boggled about. If they were gonna take something away from GLE to gear people towards i30 they should have done it with all models of maxima.....IMO
Old 07-19-2003 | 06:26 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by oSSjTrunks112o
Do 16" SE sawblade rims actually exist?!?
NO
95/96 max had sawblades on se's, and 97-99 had on gle's
Old 07-19-2003 | 06:38 AM

too simple

All about production. The GLE is based on the GXE which also doesn't have fogs standard equipment. The SE is sort of a limited production number (see many?) which have standard fog lights. If your a performance sedan racer you would need fog lights. If your a luxury cruiser your not going out on a bad day risking wrecking your leather sofa on wheels.
Old 07-19-2003 | 07:34 AM

Originally posted by kevlo911

NO
95/96 max had sawblades on se's, and 97-99 had on gle's

Ohh ok....So the sawblades on the 95-96 SE's were 15" as well then....
Thx Alot.
Old 07-19-2003 | 10:34 AM
I'm so hood

The SE is sort of a limited production number (see many?)
Actually I see almost an equal number of 4th gen SEs as I do GLEs + GXEs combined around here. It's not too far off. And every SE I've looked at in a parking lot, at the car wash when I worked there, etc, has been automatic. Only seen one other manual, a guy that worked at the car wash, shaved w/bolt-ons and nawwwz.

I don't really think of fog lights as sporty only. Crap, they've come standard on minivan and SUV models like crazy for a while now.
Old 07-19-2003 | 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Ohhhhhhhhhh lord!!!!!! so GLE's were made only for old people??? dang! I'm only 17 years old and I drive a 1998 nissan maxima GLE and I love it! I know it is automatic but it still a HONDA and MUSTANG killer.

After all it is a maxima, I really dont care if it is a GXe SE or GLE, they all are maximas and all can be modified the way you like.

About the fog lights and the spoiler hummmmmmmmm....... there are alot of after market companies that make fog lights for the maxima and that look better than factory fog lights, for example PIAA makes a kit designed for the maximas, that kit work with your factory fog lights wiring and factory fog lights switchi I saw those in a local shop.

About the spoiler, factory spoilers look cool, but there are also aftermarket spoilers that look better than factory one, the one i like is the aluminium wings, they are not that expensive you can buy one in EBAY fot only $60 bucks.

For the moment I dont want to spent more money on my maxima for the next 3 months, I'm going to UCSD and i need to get an other car, I dont want my maxima to be my daily ride, it is my baby and my project car with only 34k original miles, I want a new titan crew cab or a SC frontier crew cab ( Yeah!!! California Style)

http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/nismo_maxima
Old 07-19-2003 | 11:06 PM

Re: too simple

Originally posted by Armelius
All about production. The GLE is based on the GXE which also doesn't have fogs standard equipment. The SE is sort of a limited production number (see many?) which have standard fog lights. If your a performance sedan racer you would need fog lights. If your a luxury cruiser your not going out on a bad day risking wrecking your leather sofa on wheels.
The SE is sort of a limited production number (see many?

SE is is NOT a limited production Maxima, not even sort of.
Old 07-21-2003 | 08:06 AM

In that case there are no limits on production? Not even sort of?

If they produced more SE's than GLE's and GXE's in Canada and the US then surely someones going to have to prove it to me.