4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Okay, before I start messing with the idle screw

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 06:45 AM

Okay, before I start messing with the idle screw

As some of you know, my car has developed a slight to moderate shake at idle, almost like a cycling pulsating feeling and I have noticed that the car is not idling where it is agreed is the norm, 750 in P/N and 650 in drive. My car is 650 P/N, 500 D. Now last night I was revving the engine up to about 4000k and seeing where it drops too. I noticed something weird. When I rev the engine and it drops back to "normal" it sticks at 1000rpm for a split second and then continues to drop to 650. Also, when I start the car up when it is warm, it dont shift into drive, the idle stays at 750. As soon as a I put into reverse and then put it back into park it starts up with the low idle. I just did a new PCV valve like 2 weeks ago and a new fuel filter- Do you think these are the culprits? I don't understand. 2 days ago I was waiting in line to enter a parking lot and the car was actually dipping to like 475-500rpm and then I really felt the wheel shaking. ALSO, I did an emissions cleaner about 3 months ago when i swtiched to synthetic (i have 40k) and they put in an additive, do you think that maybe I should change out the oil being that the additicve is in there? Could it be the cappy filter thats in there? I know that the wheel should not feel completely dead when the car is in D, but this is way more than usual. Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The items you mentioned are not the problem. Find the idle adjustment on the hose leading to the IACV. Give it a turn to bring your idle speed up about 100 RPMs more then it is now.

Stop hunting around for a problem, your killing yourself over nothing. Bump it up already.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:12 AM

Okay Okay. Hehe. Okay, the idle screw is the black plastic screw that faces STRAIGHT up right all by itself? And which way do i turn it? Clockwise or counter clockwise? I dont know which wiring harnesses to disconnect- don't you have to do that to take the computer out of the equation? The serach fucntion is being really cheap when it displays results even when you set it for" one year and earlier". Thanks Tom. I guess I need to grow a pair when it comes to the max.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan
Okay Okay. Hehe. Okay, the idle screw is the black plastic screw that faces STRAIGHT up right all by itself? And which way do i turn it? Clockwise or counter clockwise? I dont know which wiring harnesses to disconnect- don't you have to do that to take the computer out of the equation? The serach fucntion is being really cheap when it displays results even when you set it for" one year and earlier". Thanks Tom. I guess I need to grow a pair when it comes to the max.

righty tighty...lefty loosey
when you turn it, you'll hear the RPMs change, so, you'll figure it out!
pretty sure you'll want to turn to the left...

anyhow, I'm still of the opinion that this is a band-aid solution...
these screws are factory set...but, to each his own...it certainly
is not going to harm your car to turn that screw a notch...

FLO_BOY
Old 07-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Have you cleaned your throttle body?
Old 07-18-2003, 08:48 AM

Well, I did when I first got the car 6k miles ago, I peeled the hose back and got in there with the spray and was able to clean the body only up until the plate leading up to the plate and wiped it up with a rag. I dont; know if that was sufficient.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan
Well, I did when I first got the car 6k miles ago, I peeled the hose back and got in there with the spray and was able to clean the body only up until the plate leading up to the plate and wiped it up with a rag. I dont; know if that was sufficient.

I believe you have to try to clean the throttle plate also. That is where quite a bit of carbon build up occurs. This fixed my rpm idle problem.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:58 AM

you should clean the throttle body with the car running. What I did was I started the car and got it up to operating temp. Then you loosen the clamp holding the intake tube onto the throttle body but do not remove the intake. I then snaked the throttle body cleaner nozzle into the intake accordian fitting so that the cleaner will spray directly onto the plate. Then, as you're reving the engine, spray 3 second squirts of cleaner into the throttle body. This will not only help clean the parts of the throttle body that you can't reach, it will also clean the intake manifold. I used most of the can of cleaner. The difference was night and day on my car, and it only had 50k miles on it.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:59 AM

BY THE WAY
I thought it was mandatory for you to disconnect the TPS, adjust , and then reconnect, otherwise the settings won't hold b/c the computer will be fighting your adjustment. Maybe I am talking outa my a s s.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Thats only if you adjust the default throttle stop screw.

Why don't you try to really deep clean that TB first before you bump the idle up. The more I read your posts, the more I'm thinking you didn't do such a good job cleaning it. Might be worth a shot.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:26 AM

I've got the same idle issues as you do. I've already unloaded an entire can of TB cleaner into the TB just as slizan described. I guess that helped with power and peace of mind that the intake system was clean, but didnt resolve idle issues. Took off the IACV and cleaned that thing too with TB cleaner...still have idle issues. The idle screw was adjusted also, no resolution (problem creeps back within a few weeks). With the y pipe and frankencar on now, the car is even worse at idle (vibes a LOT), but I think it has something to do with a bad ground somewhere on some sensor. I'd say this mainly because a lot of people are experiencing this problem...same situation as the knock sensor...bad ground and the thing goes out and a lot of people have to change it.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Thats only if you adjust the default throttle stop screw.

Why don't you try to really deep clean that TB first before you bump the idle up. The more I read your posts, the more I'm thinking you didn't do such a good job cleaning it. Might be worth a shot.
so the throttle stop screw is the brass nut thing (haha- sounds funny) that people talk about? and the idle adjust is the plastic screw I am assuming. I guess I will clean the TB better. I would rather do that than adjust first. Thanks for th insight Tom
Old 07-20-2003, 09:25 AM

I had idling problem and loss of power between 2-3k rpm. I cleaned throttle body and now my maxima goes fine, but I hear knocking(one each second) sound near iacv at idle rpm. when step on gas this goes off and starts when engine at idle again.
Do you know what may be causing think knocking sound, and is this OK?
I didn't clean IACV yet.
96 maxima SE 5spd

Thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With the y pipe and frankencar on now, the car is even worse at idle (vibes a LOT)

I had the same problem - and the only way to resolve it was to put stock intake back on , and it sure did help !!!! idle stedy as hell now.

Nick
Old 07-21-2003, 07:50 AM

If you have a breather filter on your valve cover instead of a vaccuum line running to your intake, it will cause idling problems.