4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

auto tranny temp gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 09:29 PM

auto tranny temp gauge?

ok for the last month after installing my vb ive had slipping problems(neutralizing at a stop). went to a tranny mechanic that my brother sort of knows and ended up needing a 1500$ rebuild becuase of heat roasting my tranny. they think that my drop resistor(15$ part) failed(that thing that people rig up for full line pressure in a race) and i drove with it like that for a month, slowly cooking itself.

anyway

im thinking about getting a tranny temp gauge(maybe) to prevent me from driving or pushing the tranny when too hot, if i do where can i find one(company/website) that lights up blue at night and where can i mount it other than the a pillar? where can i get instructions for the install?

any help or thoughts are always appreciated
thanks
Old 07-21-2003, 03:00 AM

I would like to know this as well..
Old 07-21-2003, 07:54 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

you need to check out my homepage for that. i had exactly same issues about a month ago...
Old 07-21-2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by dmBK
you need to check out my homepage for that. i had exactly same issues about a month ago...
very nice set up, very clean. more info please. where did you get it, how much to do that fabrication/install(i hate electronics), did your tranny go out on you? what color is it(at night). does the gauge help, have you noticed the tranny getting hot?

spill your guts

thanks for the info/help
Old 07-22-2003, 02:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: auto tranny temp gauge?

Originally posted by BadKarma99-4spd
ok for the last month after installing my vb ive had slipping problems(neutralizing at a stop). went to a tranny mechanic that my brother sort of knows and ended up needing a 1500$ rebuild becuase of heat roasting my tranny. they think that my drop resistor(15$ part) failed(that thing that people rig up for full line pressure in a race) and i drove with it like that for a month, slowly cooking itself.

any help or thoughts are always appreciated
thanks
THEY think your drop resistor failed?

Believe me if your drop resistor failed YOU would know it. When it shifts at full line pressure at part throttle it will jump and bang severely, you could NOT know it.

You could not drive that long with a failed drop resistor and not know something was wrong. Besides if the drop resistor failed it would still be toast and its very easy to check the resistance and find out. Resistors either work or they don't there is no in between.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:50 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

very nice set up, very clean. more info please. where did you get it, how much to do that fabrication/install(i hate electronics), did your tranny go out on you? what color is it(at night). does the gauge help, have you noticed the tranny getting hot?

spill your guts

thanks for the info/help

thank you!

got the gauge from www.jegs.com - its the new C2 2 1/16 gauge. i plan to finally hook it up by the end of this weekend. it should be a nice blue color. (i'll take pics when its all done). modding the panel took some hours (was done in spare time). basically what that insert is is just an aluminum sheet (i think 1/8 inch thick) from a hardware store, that is bendable (thicker ones are not very bendable). i cut out the template from cardboard (make sure you clearance little things on the back of the panel), then transferred that to aluminum, drilled a hole in it, put the gauge in, and then bent the aluminum, so that it sits pretty tight against the panel. then drilled the holes for the screws (using different size bits, cause if i used the proper one first, it mightg have cracked the panel). after everything was done with the aluminum piece, i took the gauge out (i had a few "extra" holes from all the trial and error), and covered it with "carbon fiber" vinyl sticker i got from a modeling shop ($5). thats pretty much it.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: auto tranny temp gauge?

that is what i am thinking. the shift seems a little rougher now that the resistor is unplugged(mechanic) but im not sure(it could be in my head), keep in mind this started right when i put in my stage 2 vb so i dont really know what kind of shift i should be getting. i dont trust these guys or any mechanics. i HATE taking my car to any shop. good news is that the tranny dosent seem to be neutralizing when at a stop. im screwed because i know next to nothing about the auto tranny. also with the resistor unplugged im now getting a cel and 16 quick flashes when i start the car.

i think im going to plug it back in and see if it makes a difference, if it does give me a better shift than it souldnt be a bad resistor, right?

thanks for the help sorry for the long post
Old 07-22-2003, 09:22 PM

also where are you going to put the sensor to get acurate temp readings? tell me how everything turns out when your done

thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 06:29 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

also where are you going to put the sensor to get acurate temp readings? tell me how everything turns out when your done

thanks

actually i put the sensor in the return line, but i will switch it to the line flows the ATF from the tranny so that i will know how hot the tranny runs, as opposed to how cool the ATF is going to the tranny, as i have in the current set-up. i should post the results over the weekend, if everything goes well.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:24 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Re: auto tranny temp gauge?

that is what i am thinking. the shift seems a little rougher now that the resistor is unplugged(mechanic)
Put that resistor back on and don't ever use that mechanic again!
Your doing more damage running without it.

When electronic parts such as a resistor fails, it opens the circuit which is exactly what you've done by disconnecting it. The CEL flashing at you is indicating the resistor malfunction. If it's not flashing when the resistor is in place, there's probably nothing wrong with it.

I can't stand it when mechanics don't use common sense.