4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exaust modification questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 04:44 PM

Hey guys, just starting to design my "Stage 2" upgrade, the exhaust system, and don't know much about it. Can you guys recommend some parts and steps to take? I hear a lot of different opinions on mufflers and Y-Pipes (I do like the price on the Warpspeed brand and have heard good things). All this for 97 i30.

Are the Y-Pipe mods legal? Also, what else can be done?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-04-2001, 05:39 PM
dot dot dot ...

The y-pipe is not legal....but you could get a random technology cat and still pass emmissions with minimal flow loss. There is a lot of xhaust mods u can do......get a courtesy b-pipe.....get a greddy cat back...have your local shop do a custom setup.....try and keep the corners mandrel bent.......there's is also stillen catback.....apex'i catback......hks rear muffler piece........tenzo r muffler....or get a stainless universal muffler. or a reglar aluminized muffler.......or try to get a 2k muffler...good idea if u get the y-pipe and aftermarket xhaust cuz it can get rather loud........if u just upgrade the y=ipe it shouldn't get too loud.
Old 02-04-2001, 06:20 PM

yo

just get a y-pipe and courtesy b-pipe and keep stock muffler. the exhaust will be so loud unless u keep the stock muffler im selling my muffler and getting a 2000 maxima muffler u will hate the exhaust noise after a wile.
Old 02-04-2001, 08:27 PM

nah no way

no way man i love this sound...cattman ypipe, stillen bpipe and stillen muffler...RT high flow cat to come soon. no resonators or silencers here baby i like the sound...but yeah, your sort of right...i had a girl in my car this weekend and she said wow, thats kind of annoying...

casey
Old 02-04-2001, 09:25 PM
4 Maximas and counting

Interested in exhaust setup as well

I've been looking into repalcing my intake and exhaust.
I'm trying to get the power as quietly as possible though.
From all the options out there, what's the best way to get good flow without making it unbearably noisy?
How much impact does a resonator have on flow and noise?

Originally posted by Agent0040oz
Hey guys, just starting to design my "Stage 2" upgrade, the exhaust system, and don't know much about it. Can you guys recommend some parts and steps to take? I hear a lot of different opinions on mufflers and Y-Pipes (I do like the price on the Warpspeed brand and have heard good things). All this for 97 i30.

Are the Y-Pipe mods legal? Also, what else can be done?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-05-2001, 12:39 AM
dot dot dot ...

Resonators

Resonators are basically like glass packs,.......They don't terribly impede flow but thay also don't help it either. I am planning on getting a big long *** resonator and putting an apexi muffler in back for the look. My setup before I got the y-pipe sounded mean and SWEET!!! It was the 2.25 exhaust piping 14" glass pack as a test pipe meaning I didn't have a cat...and no resonator and the MagnaFlow muffler...Then 3 dayz ago I got the y-pipe installed and it became exxxxtrmely loud and annoying! I called the local nissan place and they want 250 bux for a 95 muffler and 265 for a 2k.....for that price you could get a nice looking stainless muffler and a big a** resonator and be quiet for cheaper and look *SLIGHTLY* better than w/ a stock 2k muffler........