4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Steering Upgrades... are there any?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 11:00 AM

Steering Upgrades... are there any?

Looking to possibly do some steering upgrades on my 98 SE. Anyone else agree that the steering on these cars is slow, overpowered and not very fun? I honestly think the steering in my 88 Caravan has a better feel to it.

I also think the steering wheel in this car is WAY too far from the driver. I end up setting my seat in a compromised position... I can just barely grip the top of the wheel with my arm fully extended, yet my knees are bent more than I'd like em to be while operating the pedals. At least I knew I wasn't totally crazy when my Nissan mechanic father-in-law agreed that he's always thought Nissan put the wheel too far away in all their cars. The fact that the wheel kinda tilts away from you sucks too.

Well, if anyone has done any or knows of any steering upgrades, lemme know. Either different steering racks from other Nissan cars (300Z, 240Z?) or maybe someone offers an aftermarket performance one.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2003, 03:34 PM
ivelweyz

How do you sit then? I'm 6'2 and my seat is all the way back with the back of the seat at around 85 degrees and it's fine. I can't imagine a position in which your arms barey reach and your knees are bent...

Old 07-21-2003, 05:34 PM

Re: Steering Upgrades... are there any?

Originally posted by 98se5speed
Looking to possibly do some steering upgrades on my 98 SE. Anyone else agree that the steering on these cars is slow, overpowered and not very fun? I honestly think the steering in my 88 Caravan has a better feel to it.

I also think the steering wheel in this car is WAY too far from the driver. I end up setting my seat in a compromised position... I can just barely grip the top of the wheel with my arm fully extended, yet my knees are bent more than I'd like em to be while operating the pedals. At least I knew I wasn't totally crazy when my Nissan mechanic father-in-law agreed that he's always thought Nissan put the wheel too far away in all their cars. The fact that the wheel kinda tilts away from you sucks too.

Well, if anyone has done any or knows of any steering upgrades, lemme know. Either different steering racks from other Nissan cars (300Z, 240Z?) or maybe someone offers an aftermarket performance one.

Thanks
Doing a full suspension helps a lot in the responsiveness of the steering. Even just a sway bar gives it quite a bit quicker response.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:51 PM

Well, I may recline ever so slightly more than that... maybe 80 degrees from horizontal. I dont know what it is. To reach the top of the wheel, my arm is completely extended and my knees are bent more than I would like them to be. If I were to put the seat where my legs are perfect, I wouldnt even be able to reach the top of the wheel.

My GF agrees... she got her 95 Max a month or so after I got mine. I used to drive a 90 Lumina, she used to drive a 90 Bonneville. I still have my Lumina (awaiting repair and sale) and I just took it for a spin the other day... way comfier positioning of the wheel relative to the pedals.

I'm getting used to the max, no huge deal... but I'd be a lot happier if the wheel was more paralell to my chest and about 3" closer to me.

Originally posted by ivelweyz
How do you sit then? I'm 6'2 and my seat is all the way back with the back of the seat at around 85 degrees and it's fine. I can't imagine a position in which your arms barey reach and your knees are bent...
Old 07-22-2003, 04:41 AM

i agree.... my knees are totally bent up and so close to the steering wheel. I wish it was just a bit longer and close to me.

anything out there that could fix that?
Old 07-22-2003, 05:57 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

The steeringwheel in the Max is ****ing ridiculous. Don't get me wrong...the car is comfortable to drive, but the guideline for steering is to be able to rest your wrists on top opf the wheel when you're sitting back against the seat. I'm 6'2"-3" and I can't get anywhere near that wihtout giving myself leg cramps. I don't understand why tilt is like standard equipment now but no cars ahve telescoping wheels. It's ridiculous.

As far as the feel of your steering though, you are insane. the Max's steering is not that overboosted and wishywashy...I suspect it's been quite awhile since you drove that caravan. Take it from someone who had driven an Oldmobile Delta 88 then juimped in the Max...the Max's steering is decent...not sportcarlike, but decent.

Suspension upgrades will improve the feel of the steering somewhat but TIRES are the KEY. I used to run Pirelli winter tires and Dunlop SP Sport 9000's in the summer. With the pirellis the steering had not a lot of feedback and felt overboosted. With the 9k's the steering felt heavy...maybe even under boosted for paralell parking and such. With my SP Sport A2's that I'm forced to run until I get rims the feel is somewhere in between. In any case, tires can drastically affect the feel of the steering, so you might want to look into some sportier ones.

I would imagine that when I get 8" rims and move from 215 to 235 width tires the steering will get even heavier. Unfortunately it will probably be even worse about torque steer and following ruts, but that's the price you pay.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:01 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Steering Upgrades... are there any?

Originally posted by 98se5speed
My 97 had crazy overboosted steering like you're talking about. I couldn't stand. Every other 95-98 that I've driven has as well.

My 99 doesn't...I really think Nissan fixed it sometime around late 98 or early 99. Maybe try swapping in the rack/pump from a 99?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:07 AM
Conecarver

Re: Re: Steering Upgrades... are there any?

Originally posted by ejj

My 97 had crazy overboosted steering like you're talking about. I couldn't stand. Every other 95-98 that I've driven has as well.

My 99 doesn't...I really think Nissan fixed it sometime around late 98 or early 99. Maybe try swapping in the rack/pump from a 99?
I never read they changed the steering between years. Got anything to back that up to go on?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:11 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Steering Upgrades... are there any?

Originally posted by BEJAY1
Got anything to back that up to go on?
Just experience.

My mom now has my old 97, and I (of course) still have my 99. The difference in steering feel is night-and-day.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get all my handling mods and you will like your steering much better!
Old 07-22-2003, 06:44 AM

Well, sounds like I sparked some debate here. At least a few other people feel my pain about the wheel position. I was thinking about it on my drive in this morning, how if I made the seatback slightly more upright I would get a slightly better grip on the wheel, but I already feel like my head is too close to the sun visor. BTW, I'm 5'9".

Definately hasn't been a while since I drove the Caravan... just drove it yesterday. It's actually my "rain car" so whenever the weather looks bad, I drive that. Unfortunately, I should have drove it today, but instead I listened to the weather forecast and my perfectly clean Max is getting rained on. Lucky me. Believe me, I'm not trying to say my Caravan is some kinda performance or handling machine... but I do know that the steering feels less boosted, more precise and more responsive. I did put a brand new rack in there 2 years ago (old one leaking fluid like a b!tch) but I was pretty happy with the steering before I replaced it too.

I did recently upgrade my wheels and tires on the Max. I went from ContiTouringContacts on my stock SE 16" wheels (that setup is for sale, btw) to ContiExtremeContacts on MSR 17" wheels. Didn't go any wider though, both are 215's. Steering response is somewhat better, but it certainly doesnt help the overboosted feeling. Perhaps I'll ask dad (Nissan mechanic) if there was any change in 99 to the steering. Or see if the pump or rack are a different part number.

Anyone ever drive an Acura RSX? Now that's what I want my steering to feel like. Incredible.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would say just get all the suspension bolt ons and some nice coilovers. That added to your rims with a smaller diameter steering wheel will make the car feel much better.