4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

auto question - downshifting from rolling start

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 06:38 PM

auto question - downshifting from rolling start

I've had my 96 gle for about 2 months/6000km now and i'm impressed with the car but the tranny drives me nuts some times.

I'll do a california stop (slow to about 10/15mph at stop sign then go) and the car doesn't drop into a lower gear. Did one tonight : slowed to about 10/15mph then go. No huge amounts of gas but some, car kicked into 2nd (from drive) feed in more throttle (picking up some speed) untill i gave it enough to make it kick into first (dropped down and motor came to 3000-4000 rpm) in full race mode.

Is there any way of making this more predictable ? I had one time (faster speed - i guess 30 mph) where i did a roll through and someone was coming so i gave it some more gas and the car didn't drop down just lugged it's way along.

Most of the time the problems are in the sub 2500 rpm range. After reading alot of posts on the org ( tons of good info here ) i know the auto's have wider gear spacing ( vs 5 spd ) and the engine produces alot of it's power above 3000 rpm but i feel this is low.

If i stop properly the car starts out in first and everything is nissan smooth and good ! Just the rolling stuff

I've thought i could have a bad knock sensor (speculation) after reading a post (knock sensor round 5 ?) mentioned a condition where the code would be in the computer but not get the CEL on.

Car is stock. I run 89 and 91 (does it with both) 3000km on oil change, 126km (78miles) on engine, stock honeycombs (15")

I plan on putting the warpspeed y in on friday night. On another note about the y , does the ECU need to be reset after install ? I think so but can't remember off hand.

Thought you guys would know best

Thanks for the help , martin
Old 07-23-2003, 08:49 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

is 91 the highest u can get? if not go with higher
Old 07-23-2003, 08:52 PM

We dont get good gas in CA. plus all that reformulated emission stuff they add in
Old 07-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really don't think there is anyway to improve this although I'd love to hear someone give an answer. I come to a full stop now at the stop signs cause overall its quicker than accelerating in 2nd and I would think better for the tranny to downshift at a stop instead of downshifting when you apply more throttle. I believe that a full stop it not necessary at most stop signs especially by me but if you think about it your probably not saving that much time rolling through at 5-10 mph and it keeps you from having problems with the cops
Old 07-23-2003, 09:45 PM

the only solution is to swap trannies, or manually shift the auto, which isnt really a good thing
Old 07-24-2003, 05:44 PM

I read a post about the manumatic control. That would work but for the everyday driving i'm not in race mode. Is the kickdown operated by cable ? I don't think so because i was looking at the throttle cable (loose cable thread) and i saw one other cable that looked to be the cruise.

My only thought would to have some shifting software/module put into the car (assuming there's no kickdown cable). I read about the manumatic post carefully and even looked at the install instructions. All that would need to be monitored would be the speed of the car to know when to shift (adjustable to suit individual taste would be sweet) and then the module/software would tell the tranny to go into the lower gear just like the manumatic module would but automatic. This would make a great feature to add to the manumatic system.

I've been thinking of the manumatic system ever since i read the post. For my preference i'd be inclinded to add paddles (small) for up and down (paralled with the cruise up and down buttons).

I wonder how easy it would be to integrate a downshift program into the manumatic system. I should send out a PM to the person making these devices.

Any more thoughts ?

Martin
Old 07-24-2003, 06:08 PM

Its crappy shift logic that doesnt shift back down to first gear fast enough so you can get that nice pull when you hit the gas to take of when you decide to do one of those california stops.
If your going along and slow till you get down to like 10mph and then go again, it will kick into gear and it doesnt feel like its too good for the tranny. I wouldnt slam on the gas from one of stops cause it will rev up pretty high and then slam into gear HARD.
Scared the crap outta me when i first got the car but i found out that alot of people with automatics have this problem so i just either come to a complete stop now or take off nice and sloooow.(but it still kinda kicks into gear)

I wanna 5spd....