4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Whats up with my alignment?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 10:12 PM

Whats up with my alignment?!?!

When I first purchased my max I noticed that it pulled to the left. I figured my alignment was off. After my wife had her fender bender I had to get an alignment done, but the car still pulled to the left! Well now I put in my KYB and H&Rs get it aligned and it still pulls to the left! Not just a little bit either. I think and repeat key word think that my car is aligned but I have to hold my steering wheel to the left a bit. Could my steering WHEEL be of alignment while my actual wheels are fine?

Old 07-23-2003, 11:18 PM

Bump

I need some feedback incase I need to take it back its not to late. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If the camber is significantly different between the two front wheels, it could cause a pulling condition. A dragging brake pad could do the same.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Rotate your tires. If your running non directional tires, swap the left and right front tires and see if the car still pulls or if the pull follows the tire.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:16 AM

Hmmmm....

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Rotate your tires. If your running non directional tires, swap the left and right front tires and see if the car still pulls or if the pull follows the tire.
My tires were rotated I know that. I'm not sure what directional tires are. I haven't ventured in the rim/tire talk since I'm not ready for those quite yet. In a nutshell if an alignment is done and done correctly. What could be the reasons why my steering wheel has to be slightly turned to the right for my car to go straight. This is driving me nuts because it has been aligned twice and still the same problem. Damn....oh well the joy of having my suspension in out weighs my alignment problem, but it still bothers me.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

A radial pull from your tires will cause your steering to be slightly off center. When I purchased my Sumitomo HTR+ just a month ago, they pulled to the right slightly. I swapped left and right sides immediately and the car runs straight as an arrow.

Directional tires can only rotate in one direction. There marked with an arrow indicating the direction of rotation. Directional tires are usually higher rated performace tires such as low profile Z rated summer only tires. You can't swap left and right side tires if your running directional tires because you wind up with tires rotating the wrong way.

Do you have a printout of your last alignment readings? If you do, post the camber, caster and toe readings.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
A radial pull from your tires will cause your steering to be slightly off center. When I purchased my Sumitomo HTR+ just a month ago, they pulled to the right slightly. I swapped left and right sides immediately and the car runs straight as an arrow.

Directional tires can only rotate in one direction. There marked with an arrow indicating the direction of rotation. Directional tires are usually higher rated performace tires such as low profile Z rated summer only tires. You can't swap left and right side tires if your running directional tires because you wind up with tires rotating the wrong way.

Do you have a printout of your last alignment readings? If you do, post the camber, caster and toe readings.
Okay I do not have directional tires. I have the OEM replacements provided by Big-O tires (hahaha). Hmmm...I do not have a print out of my alignment. I'll get one this Saturday morning when I go back to the shop that did the alignment. The guy told me to come in and that he will check it out, but I always like to get info from my fello maxima cronies so that they can't BS me!
Old 07-24-2003, 12:57 PM

For some reason my previous post didn't make this message pop to the top of the forum...so here we go...

BUMB!
Old 07-24-2003, 02:44 PM

I have the same problem. Maybe you guys can help me out..I've ruled out the possibility of the brakes since i just changed the front rotors and pads, had it RE-Aligned...and still the same problem..
Old 07-24-2003, 04:40 PM

Me too, I installed Brembo Rotors and pads from SWA about a month ago. I'll tell you what the mechanic comes up with Saturday. This is really puzzling.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:08 PM
pMB

radial tires

are known to drag your car to one side. Try to keep a constant speed and cruise down the road. If the car doens't pull to either side, it's your radial tires.

And for alighnment, may I suggest life time alighnment from Big 10 Tires. $99.95 for computerized alighnment for as long as you own that car.

And did you know that wheel balance gets messed up every 6000 miles? I recommend you buy tires from Discount Tire Co, they give you free balance for as long as you have the tires.