4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is this TRUE?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003 | 11:22 PM

Is this TRUE?!? about springs

I'm thinkin about installing springs (haven't decided on which brand, any suggestions?)

and from what i've read,

"When shopping for aftermarket springs it is generally advised to get aftermarket shocks. Without them, a car will be bouncy and uncontrolled over bumpy roads. Also stock shocks on aftermarket springs will have a greater tendancy to blow out, leak and wear quickly. Good combinations for shocks are listed for each spring or you can take a look at all the shocks directly at MaximaShocks It is recommended to use one of the suggested shocks listed by the spring you want to use."

what do they mean from "blow out", is it really necessary to purchase shock when buying springs? I'm on a really tight budget, so any info that would save me money and improve my suspension will be greatly appreciated.

thanx
Old 07-30-2003 | 11:44 PM

Re: Is this TRUE?!?

Originally posted by Noslen
I'm thinkin about installing springs (haven't decided on which brand, any suggestions?)

and from what i've read,

"When shopping for aftermarket springs it is generally advised to get aftermarket shocks. Without them, a car will be bouncy and uncontrolled over bumpy roads. Also stock shocks on aftermarket springs will have a greater tendancy to blow out, leak and wear quickly. Good combinations for shocks are listed for each spring or you can take a look at all the shocks directly at MaximaShocks It is recommended to use one of the suggested shocks listed by the spring you want to use."

what do they mean from "blow out", is it really necessary to purchase shock when buying springs? I'm on a really tight budget, so any info that would save me money and improve my suspension will be greatly appreciated.

thanx
Hehe, I recognize that from my page, because I wrote it. The shocks will basically stop functioning, or possibly pop and leak oil, meawhile your car will be extremely bouncy which can be very dangerous and possibly cause your car to loose control easily.

When you do your suspension, you get what you pay for, so it's better not to be cheap. Installation is also not cheap at about $200, and it's better to pay it once, than to pay it a second time when your shocks blow out.

Wait until you can buy both at the same time, you'll save yourself a lot of money that way.

And if you don't have the funds to do it right, you'd probably be better off with a front strut tower brace and rear sway bar to improve handling.

Selecting springs is like selecting a car, everyone wants something different... SUV, compact, full size, van, pickup.

So tell us what YOU want in terms of "handling" "drop" and "ride comfort" and we will pick a spring/shock system for you. Be descriptive.
Old 07-31-2003 | 03:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Is this TRUE?!?

Originally posted by drewm

Hehe, I recognize that from my page, because I wrote it. The shocks will basically stop functioning, or possibly pop and leak oil, meawhile your car will be extremely bouncy which can be very dangerous and possibly cause your car to loose control easily.

When you do your suspension, you get what you pay for, so it's better not to be cheap. Installation is also not cheap at about $200, and it's better to pay it once, than to pay it a second time when your shocks blow out.

Wait until you can buy both at the same time, you'll save yourself a lot of money that way.

And if you don't have the funds to do it right, you'd probably be better off with a front strut tower brace and rear sway bar to improve handling.

Selecting springs is like selecting a car, everyone wants something different... SUV, compact, full size, van, pickup.

So tell us what YOU want in terms of "handling" "drop" and "ride comfort" and we will pick a spring/shock system for you. Be descriptive.
I'll back that up...

Don't drop on stock shocks. Get some GR2's at the very least or spring for some agx/illumina/koni adjustables if you can get the funds. Installation can be done cheaper than $200, but make sure they know what they are doing. Dont go putting the shocks in backwards, etc.. hehe.. I'll also second the notion of getting a FSTB and RSB before a full suspension if you are on a budget, they make a *big* difference... I would even recommend them over a y-pipe because they make everyday driving that much more enjoyable.