4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help! Broke my friends max!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help! Broke my friends max!

While attempting to install a new underdrive pulley on my friends 97 automatic, we were faced with the trouble of having to lock the flywheel in place since our impact wrench just wouldnt get off the main bolt. While in the process of breaking the bolt loose, the chisel used to hold the flywheel slipped and stripped around half a dozen teeth, not on the flywheel, but on the other much smaller toothed wheel on the engine side of the flywheel. The car starts fine and can drive around, but now slips into neutral and accelerates erratically. I will be paying for all costs of fixing his car, and I will be bringing it to my shop (where we should have brought it in the first place) to drop the tranny and replace this gear (the teeth are small and have a flat edge, with a U shape in between, they are very small, and the whole assembly bolts to the flywheel). I am more than capable of doing all of the transmission work, but since my experience with automatics is extremely limited, I have absolutely no idea what this part is, where I can get it, and how much it is going to cost me. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:33 AM
Kevlo for President

WOW, that sucks

i have no idea what the part is but u can probily get it from here http://www.newnissanparts.com/
Old 08-06-2003, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Help! Broke my friends max!

Those gears are for one of the crank position sensor. I beleive that piece is just bolted on to the flywheel. I can understand it causing the vehicle to run rough but the slipping to neutral is kind of odd.

Originally posted by mrdirt85
While attempting to install a new underdrive pulley on my friends 97 automatic, we were faced with the trouble of having to lock the flywheel in place since our impact wrench just wouldnt get off the main bolt. While in the process of breaking the bolt loose, the chisel used to hold the flywheel slipped and stripped around half a dozen teeth, not on the flywheel, but on the other much smaller toothed wheel on the engine side of the flywheel. The car starts fine and can drive around, but now slips into neutral and accelerates erratically. I will be paying for all costs of fixing his car, and I will be bringing it to my shop (where we should have brought it in the first place) to drop the tranny and replace this gear (the teeth are small and have a flat edge, with a U shape in between, they are very small, and the whole assembly bolts to the flywheel). I am more than capable of doing all of the transmission work, but since my experience with automatics is extremely limited, I have absolutely no idea what this part is, where I can get it, and how much it is going to cost me. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2003, 11:21 PM

dam bro that really sucks, but its good to know that your going to be taking care of your mistake, shows that your very responsible. It would help if you post a picture.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I figured out what exactly it is. It is the flexplate for the automatic transmission. It actually bolts onto the torque converter. He took it to the dealer because he could not wait, he needed a vehicle to get to work. It may end up costing me a lot more now, but we'll see. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Why should you have to pay for everything. You were helping HIM out. He decidied not to get it professionally done so he took a risk is doing it himself. Just because you were doing all the work doesn't mean it's all your fault. The bill will be huge if the dealer did the work. I'd expect ~$400 to remove and install the tranny/plate and ~$300 for the plate.

Dave
Old 08-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Dave B
Why should you have to pay for everything. You were helping HIM out. He decidied not to get it professionally done so he took a risk is doing it himself. Just because you were doing all the work doesn't mean it's all your fault. The bill will be huge if the dealer did the work. I'd expect ~$400 to remove and install the tranny/plate and ~$300 for the plate.

Dave

if you dont charge him money, then its his bad... if he pays you money for the job, and you mess up... thats why you dont accept money getting paid means you're reaponsible in a way
Old 08-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What some people do for that bolt is place a large ratchet with a socket on the end on the bolt and then simply let the socket wedge against the ground, facing the handle of it towards the rear of the car. (Or is it front? I forget which way the crank spins right now)

Then you crank the engine and *POP*, the bolt is loose.

Just make sure the car doesn't actually start!
Old 08-08-2003, 10:28 PM

dave, you do have a good point, its true, when you ask someone for a favor, you're taking a risk
Old 08-08-2003, 10:36 PM
I H8 COPS

YOU / CAR
| |
| |
| |
V V

Old 08-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Dev

Originally posted by I H8 COPS
YOU / CAR
| |
| |
| |
V V

thats very helpful, thanks for your input

and as for your sig "A car is not the only thing that can be recalled by its maker" well thats just wrong

on several occassions, Coke has had to recal millions of their products from all over the world
Old 08-09-2003, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Dev

thats very helpful, thanks for your input

and as for your sig "A car is not the only thing that can be recalled by its maker" well thats just wrong

on several occassions, Coke has had to recal millions of their products from all over the world
isn't that what his sig says? a car IS NOT the only thing that can be recalled by its maker.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Regarding the "bump the starter" method... this is very difficult as there is not much clearance to get a sufficient angle against the ground. when we tried it the wrench/breaker bar were at about a 70 degree angle from the ground. When the starter was bumped, it would just lift the car, then come back down and kick the wrench out. One one attempt it dented the oil filter and spun it partially off, so then we had to go to walmart at 1am to get an oil filter. It was no big deal, he needed an oil change anyway. If it were possibly to get less than a 45 degree angle against the ground, you could get a bar long enough that the car starting would never create enough torque to lift the car, and it would break it loose. Unfortunately we have not figured out a way to get a good angle yet. I do have a bigass impact wrench down at my shop that we didnt have before. If it doesent get the bolt off, nothing will. after that, all I will be worried about is how to lock up the system to properly retorque the bolt.