4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ACC illumination failed -- have to switch whole unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:03 PM

ACC illumination failed -- have to switch whole unit?

hi guys. the illumination behind a few buttons on my acc unit burnt out. I called a nissan dealership up to ask them how much it'd cost to fix that, and they said I have to replace the WHOLE unit? he said that'd cost like 600 bucks including labor and all. Is that bullcrap or do I really need to switch the whole unit? I can't replace the bulbs only?

thanks. appreciate your help.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:24 PM

I'm about 90 percent sure it is crap. A lot of people have changed the color of the lighting on the ACC and should be able to help ya out. Try doing a seach for blue lights, or leds. Something along that lines. you should come up with something of value. Otherwise, I can't help you out, other than give you a free *bump*
Old 08-06-2003, 09:11 PM

hey actually thanks for reminding me about ppl changing their illumination colors. I totally forgot about that.

now the only thing is i have to find a dealer that won't give me that crap. I can always take off the panels myself but i've never done it before and i'm scared i'll break something or lose the pins that hold some parts together.

thanks for your response!

Originally posted by TheNip73
I'm about 90 percent sure it is crap. A lot of people have changed the color of the lighting on the ACC and should be able to help ya out. Try doing a seach for blue lights, or leds. Something along that lines. you should come up with something of value. Otherwise, I can't help you out, other than give you a free *bump*
Old 08-06-2003, 09:52 PM

Changing the bulbs behind the cluster is somewhat complicated at first, but if you take your time, you'll do fine. When I changed mine, the whole unit must be taken apart. It's almost like a puzzle. You must remove all the ***** and switches to get to the circuit board. Here, is where there are three bulbs, two small and one large (if I can remember correctly). Just remember how you took the cluster apart, because if it's done incorrectly, it will not go together. That is where I ran into problems. It took some time, but it paid off because what a difference it made once the new bulbs were in.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:59 PM

600 FRIGGIN DOLLARS???? wow...

i could do it for you for like 40$... lol... it's not very hard to get into there... just reserve like 4 hours of chill time to take it apart relaxingly... tuck and pull and different parts of the module. It's basically what i did when i wanted to change my lights to blue..

Just pull and something... notice how it's being held together... continue to the next part... etc etc...
Old 08-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it's not hard, on mine there are 3 12V lamps, the one I have not been able to geto ut casue it's behind the fan speed.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:37 PM

To get to the bulbs I have to remove all the buttons and what not on the front of the ACC unit???

Do I need instructions to take apart the unit (like is there supposed to be a correct procedure of what to do first and what not to do) or does it not really matter as long as I take apart the pieces correctly?

I didn't know it was that complicated. I thought you just had to pull out the ACC panel and switch the bulbs from the back (kinda like how you change the brake light or something) haha... oh boy.

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
Changing the bulbs behind the cluster is somewhat complicated at first, but if you take your time, you'll do fine. When I changed mine, the whole unit must be taken apart. It's almost like a puzzle. You must remove all the ***** and switches to get to the circuit board. Here, is where there are three bulbs, two small and one large (if I can remember correctly). Just remember how you took the cluster apart, because if it's done incorrectly, it will not go together. That is where I ran into problems. It took some time, but it paid off because what a difference it made once the new bulbs were in.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:47 PM

Being as I just added an Ambient temperture button, I can tell you that you need to take off the front panel and then probally remove some screws and disassemble the unit. It is not an easy procedure, but if your mechanically inclined and patient, I am sure it is not an overwhelming task, either.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:41 AM

yeah to remove the front buttons is easy...

just get a really tiny screw driver and wedge it in between the button and the faceplate... then lever it out... just try to pop the button off...
do one side and then the other side of the button. It should pop off decently easily...

it's not hard... just take your time... there not even that many screws to play with. Only 2 really that i know of
Old 08-07-2003, 10:28 AM

Ok... I'll try that. Is anything easily breakable? Anything I should watch out or becareful of?

thanks!

QUOTE]Originally posted by multiplexor

just get a really tiny screw driver and wedge it in between the button and the faceplate... then lever it out... just try to pop the button off...
do one side and then the other side of the button. It should pop off decently easily...

it's not hard... just take your time... there not even that many screws to play with. Only 2 really that i know of
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-07-2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by kev926
Ok... I'll try that. Is anything easily breakable? Anything I should watch out or becareful of?

thanks!

QUOTE]Originally posted by multiplexor

[/QUOTE] Yes!!!! Be careful not to break the bulbs while twisting them into the circuit board. The bulbs are tiny and delicate. I ended up breaking one while trying to install. Luckily, I bought a few, because I didn't know exactly how many there were behind that whole cluster!
Old 08-07-2003, 11:19 AM

yeah just be gentle overall...

especially prying the buttons off... mainly because you don't want to scratch anything...
Old 08-07-2003, 11:27 AM

okay. I will make the attempt today. I hope I don't mess anything up.

thanks

Originally posted by multiplexor
yeah just be gentle overall...

especially prying the buttons off... mainly because you don't want to scratch anything...