4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is the auto kickdown piont adjustable ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:15 PM

Is the auto kickdown piont adjustable ?

I have a 96 gle and would like the kickdown to be a little more sensitive. On other cars all that would need to be done is tighten up the tranny cable but i don't think the maxima has one.

Anyone looked into this before ? Is there anyway it could have different profiles for hyway speeds and intown speeds ?

I find i need to feed in alot of throttle to get it to downshift into a lower gear around town.

Thanks for the help

martin
Old 08-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

overdrive off !!!

just turn it off and let the tranny stay in 3 gears in city traffic , but once you get past 50mph turn it back on.

Nick.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:05 AM

Re: Is the auto kickdown piont adjustable ?

Originally posted by rcmarty
I have a 96 gle and would like the kickdown to be a little more sensitive. On other cars all that would need to be done is tighten up the tranny cable but i don't think the maxima has one.

Anyone looked into this before ? Is there anyway it could have different profiles for hyway speeds and intown speeds ?

I find i need to feed in alot of throttle to get it to downshift into a lower gear around town.

Thanks for the help

martin
i have the same problem.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Kevlo for President

yes, that is the way the auto is programed, i don't think u can change it
Old 08-09-2003, 11:00 AM

I can understand the tranny changing to a higher gear as soon as possible to maximize the fuel mileage (i'm sure this is the reasoning) but lugging the car in drive when 2nd is needed or a little 1st to get the car moving again is required uses alot of fuel and isn't good for the engine either.

I know there's a tranny computer. Has anyone been inside one to know if there is any way of changing the shift program ? If not maby someone should ! ( $100-$150 from every auto maxima driver wanting a little more responce when merging into traffic/rolling starts ).

Maby a control module could be made. Basing it on the manulmatic post i read a while back. The manualmatic controler tells the computer to shift into a lower gear and prevents it from upshifting.

I think if you take this controller and interface it with the speed sensor. Make the points adjustable to suit individual tastes. May have to incorporated with the maunalmatic device also. From what i've read the maumatic device is about $300. It may endup costing more but you would have a manumatic setup when your in the 'spirited' mode and a much more responsive car when getting groceries.

Just last night i was climbing a hill in town. Going about 50k lugging in drive , gave the gas a kick to get it to drop down. After the kick i put the gas back where it was before. The car dropped down and then right back to where it was ! only the motor had a chance to rev up some. The car made a huge thump ! Rattled the change in the ashtray and the change in the center and gave me a good jolt. I know if i do this anymore i'd expect the tranny to go.

I know the 5 speeds are the preference and that would eliminate the problem but with all the technology and thought that went into this car there's got to be another way.

Any more thoughts ?

Thanks , martin