4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas

And I thought my car rode excellent with the Blues up front. What a suprise these are.

Here's the setup now:

H&R Springs
Tokico Illuminas up front set on 2 (out of 5)
AGX in the rear (set on 2 out of 8) with Motivational mounts
Front Strut Tower Brace
Addco Rear Stabalizer Bar

The car rides as smooth as glass yet firm like a German girl. Feels just like our 330 does on the highway. The Blues rode very smooth as well, a little softer like a Caddy. Now the Caddy is gone but the ride quality is basically the same if not better.

I'm amazed that a lowered Maxima can ride this good. I think it actually rides better then it did stock on the highway.

It took me 2-1/2 years to figure this out, I knew I was right when I switched from KYB to Tokico up front. These blow the front AGX's out of the water in terms of ride quality and handling. They absorb everything, unlike the AGX's which ride over everything. I am still a fan of using the AGX's in the rear. The beam needs a good firm shock to keep it planted on the road and they do just that. I have no plans to throw Tokico's back there.

BTW: I hit an all time record of 23 minutes from start to finish on a front strut swap. My brother was impressed.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:10 PM

23 minutes for a front strut swap out!!

So Tom if I make an appointment you can swap out my front struts?

Thanks for the info this morning,, I am going to put the the kyb gr2's in the back,,,should i go with the same in the front? the car is 96 gxe stock, want it to ride good but not real stiff,,,as I mentioned this morning it has 130k on original struts/shocks.

Thanks again for taking time out this morning!!
Old 08-12-2003, 04:40 PM

Re: Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas

Wow, that's amazing! 23 minutes must be an all time record.

But I'm not surprised, given your skill Tom.

It's great how you are willing to spend the time and experiment with the Maxima suspension combinations. We're all learning a lot of very useful info from you. I hope the moderators pick up on this and include it in the FAQ section.

I'm actually enjoying my AGX's in the front, but then I've got 15" tires to provide additional cushioning. I'm looking to move into 16" tires and I'll bet that will increase the firmness, hopefully not below my liking. I've got to try experimenting with the settings to see the ride behavior range on these AGX's.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:32 PM

sounds good...i'd go for the same setup but the Illuminas are a LOT of $
Old 08-12-2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by zealotnyc
sounds good...i'd go for the same setup but the Illuminas are a LOT of $
And as always.... you get what you pay for. Is it really worth it to have an extra $100 in your pocket if your car rides like crap?

All you'll end up doing is get sick of it the cheap parts and end up buying the better ones later, all along the way paying $50 an hour for labor to install the first set, then the second.

It's much better to do it correctly the first time.
Old 08-12-2003, 06:51 PM

Point taken, but it's not like i'm gonna buy **** parts...i'm probably gonna purchase the AGX's, the front Illuminas are like $300 and I can get the whole AGX set for under that, enough of a difference in price to sway my decision. Oh yeah, and what are motivational strut mounts?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:05 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

good stuff, 23 minutes! woo hoo nice nice i'd eventually like to have something like that
Old 08-12-2003, 07:13 PM

your nuts...

Ant
Old 08-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Now that your car rides smoothly, how does it take the turns?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:29 PM

Point taken, but it's not like i'm gonna buy **** parts...i'm probably gonna purchase the AGX's, the front Illuminas are like $300 and I can get the whole AGX set for under that, enough of a difference in price to sway my decision. Oh yeah, and what are motivational strut mounts?
Motivational rear mounts:
http://drewm.dyndns.org/~drew/maxfaq...imaShockMounts

And the whole parts site:
http://drewm.dyndns.org/~drew/maxfaq...aModifications
Old 08-12-2003, 07:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
And I thought my car rode excellent with the Blues up front. What a suprise these are.

Here's the setup now:

H&R Springs
Tokico Illuminas up front set on 2 (out of 5)
AGX in the rear (set on 2 out of 8) with Motivational mounts
Front Strut Tower Brace
Addco Rear Stabalizer Bar

The car rides as smooth as glass yet firm like a German girl. Feels just like our 330 does on the highway. The Blues rode very smooth as well, a little softer like a Caddy. Now the Caddy is gone but the ride quality is basically the same if not better.

I'm amazed that a lowered Maxima can ride this good. I think it actually rides better then it did stock on the highway.

It took me 2-1/2 years to figure this out, I knew I was right when I switched from KYB to Tokico up front. These blow the front AGX's out of the water in terms of ride quality and handling. They absorb everything, unlike the AGX's which ride over everything. I am still a fan of using the AGX's in the rear. The beam needs a good firm shock to keep it planted on the road and they do just that. I have no plans to throw Tokico's back there.

BTW: I hit an all time record of 23 minutes from start to finish on a front strut swap. My brother was impressed.

The worse thing about AGX's for me Tom is speeed bumps. I have to go over 5 sets of speed bumps to get into my school parking lot. With the AGX's I have to slow down to 5-10 MPH, whereas with the stock SE suspension I could go over them at 30-40 MPH no problem.

How do the Illuminas absorb speed bumps, Tom?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:40 PM

Re: Re: Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas

Originally posted by philly96maxima
23 minutes for a front strut swap out!!

So Tom if I make an appointment you can swap out my front struts?

Thanks for the info this morning,, I am going to put the the kyb gr2's in the back,,,should i go with the same in the front? the car is 96 gxe stock, want it to ride good but not real stiff,,,as I mentioned this morning it has 130k on original struts/shocks.

Thanks again for taking time out this morning!!
Your welcome, it was nice chatting with you this morning. Your on stock springs correct? If so, you can go with GR2's all around for a nice firm sporty ride or do the combination of GR2 and Tokico for a smoother ride. I now have a set of front Blues I'll let go really cheap, you'll get a nice smooth ride with them if your on stock springs, thats for sure. PM me if your interested.
Originally posted by SonicDust187
Now that your car rides smoothly, how does it take the turns?
It corners like our stock 330 does. No body roll at all and very planted on the road. The Illuminas hold me a bit steadier then the Blues did on agressive turns while maintaining a very comfy ride. Keep in mind I can dial them up nice and firm for Sunday afternoons up in the mountains. I've yet to play with the adjustments, just give me a week or so to have some fun playing with them.
Originally posted by sidewinder740

The worse thing about AGX's for me Tom is speeed bumps. I have to go over 5 sets of speed bumps to get into my school parking lot. With the AGX's I have to slow down to 5-10 MPH, whereas with the stock SE suspension I could go over them at 30-40 MPH no problem.

Speed bumps weren't a problem with the Blues, I'm sure I'm not going to even second guess them now. 30-40 MPH, I wouldn't drive any car over a speed bump at that speed.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:01 AM

njmax, you seem to be the susp. guru. what do you think about sprints w/ tokico illuminas all around? im wondering because the cheapest prices i've seen for struts are on ebay, and the illuminas are like... 20-30 more for a whole set.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:21 AM

c'mon, Tom. I expect you to get it done in 20 minutes flat!

Did you have the same problem with the front mount key hole with your Illumina's, as we did on mine? Just wondering whether my '99 was built like cr@p...
Old 08-13-2003, 07:28 AM

Re: Re: Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas

Cone on now, speed bumps were made for a reason. You should be driving 5 mph where there are speedbumps anyway.

Tom, you're suspension obsessed.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas

Speed bumps weren't a problem with the Blues, I'm sure I'm not going to even second guess them now. 30-40 MPH, I wouldn't drive any car over a speed bump at that speed.
LoL..I wouldn't either. I'd call these baby speed bumps. No more than an inch high. I used to be able to go over them like imperfections in the road, but with the AGX's I can't.

Btw: How do the Illuminas handle compared to the AGX's?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:53 AM

Switch to 15's and your car will ride like butter with AGX's. Mine does.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas

Originally posted by aznsap
njmax, you seem to be the susp. guru. what do you think about sprints w/ tokico illuminas all around? im wondering because the cheapest prices i've seen for struts are on ebay, and the illuminas are like... 20-30 more for a whole set.
INHO Sprint springs are all show and no go. They are too low and don't allow for adequate suspension travel.

Poor suspension travel = poor performance no matter what you couple them with.
Originally posted by SeanNY

Did you have the same problem with the front mount key hole with your Illumina's, as we did on mine? Just wondering whether my '99 was built like cr@p...
Nope, all went ok. The top of the strut fit into the keyway nice and snug. I tightened them up on the car just like I did to yours. Strange right?
Originally posted by deezo
Tom, you're suspension obsessed.
I average 3 or more Max's every weekend at the shop for various suspension work. My dreams at night are about springs and struts. I need
Old 08-13-2003, 08:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas

How do the Illuminas handle compared to the AGX's?
Smooth, firm cornering with a much less jittery ride then the front AGX's have. Seriously feels like a BMW ride, firm, yet so smooth.

Originally posted by deezo
Switch to 15's and your car will ride like butter with AGX's. Mine does.

Just wait till you throw on a set of 17's.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:51 AM

dang !!!

I think i'm the only one here now with Tokico HP up front and KYB AGX in the rear !!!
but i love this set up now !!!! the ultimate test will be winter when temps go down and things get really stiff....

maybe one day i look into some illuminas....
but for now my set up rulez !!!!

23 minutes - hmmmm very good time Tom !!!!

Nick.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas

Smooth, firm cornering with a much less jittery ride then the front AGX's have. Seriously feels like a BMW ride, firm, yet so smooth.

Just wait till you throw on a set of 17's.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:15 AM

INHO Sprint springs are all show and no go. They are too low and don't allow for adequate suspension travel.

Poor suspension travel = poor performance no matter what you couple them with.

I agree. H&R's or Eibach's would be my top 2 choices.

Nope, all went ok. The top of the strut fit into the keyway nice and snug. I tightened them up on the car just like I did to yours. Strange right?

Goes to show you that my max was built like cr@p!!! Should've bought that Red SE-L dealer had in the lot when I bought mine...

I average 3 or more Max's every weekend at the shop for various suspension work. My dreams at night are about springs and struts. I need
Just open up your suspension shop in the corner of your brother's shop. Proline Body & Suspension.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:28 AM

Have the Illuminas been around for Maximas long enough to know how cold weather affects them? They go for $410 on ebay, and I'm very tempted, but I'm unsure since I don't think they've been available for that long.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:25 PM

Tom, would u be kind enough to post the part #s

I do have a 99SE too. I don't seem to see
a part number from Tokicos web site.

How do these compare to Konis. I do have
Konis but they are too stiff and jarring.

Thanks,

john
Old 08-13-2003, 03:05 PM

Think I would be better off with AGX's in the back, and Blues up front or AGX's in front as well?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:10 PM

njmaxseltd what size wheels/tires are you riding on? Also why do you say you would not put a set of illuminas in the rear instead of the agx's? I am planning to do illumina's all around with H&R's, but I have 18 inch rims and 235/40R/18 tires and I do not want to waste te money if its not going to smooth my ride out a lot with the 18's. I realize it will never be like stock suspension and 15's but I want to get it to be as smooth as I can so I can actually handle pot holes.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:18 PM

Tonight was the first time I got to hit some open road and cruise at high speed. It's like the faster I go the more buttery like the ride becomes. It's fluid like. I feel as if the front end is always sort-a floating upwards, never down. At 80 it's like your on a cloud....seriously. Oh it was 4:20 when I left my buddies house for this ride home, tomorrow morning it may ride differently.

Tokico Part numbers:
BB3102 & BB3103 - There's a left and a right.
They ride awsome.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:16 PM

I'm about to buy some illuminas for the rear and toss the GR2s I have in there in the garbage! Feels like the new badge of GR2s are crap!

Later.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:55 AM

So how will this setup do if used in Auto-X?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by TurDz
So how will this setup do if used in Auto-X?
I've never auto-x, but I bet they would be just fine.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:03 AM

Glad to hear you like em Tom....that is great. They are trully a well made, well thought out shock/strut
Old 08-24-2003, 02:10 AM

NJMax...Illuminas all around or Front Illuminas and Rear AGX's? on stock springs
Old 08-24-2003, 06:02 AM

And I thought I researched this to death before I bought my H&R/AGX setup . I would of gladly paid a little more up front for a better riding shock, but now that I have already bought and installed my AGX . The ride on my AGX does seem to be improving with time though, but still not like the stock suspention.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:14 AM

NJMax...Illuminas all around or Front Illuminas and Rear AGX's? on stock springs
Front Illuminas and rear AGX with Motivation Mounts. You can use the Illuminas in the rear and achieve the same ride.
Originally posted by Anachronism
And I thought I researched this to death before I bought my H&R/AGX setup . I would of gladly paid a little more up front for a better riding shock, but now that I have already bought and installed my AGX . The ride on my AGX does seem to be improving with time though, but still not like the stock suspention.
It's not to late to sell your front AGX's and throw on a set of Illuminas. Lots of guys like the firm AGX's still, they'll sell.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:57 PM

Yeah...depends if I can still get the Rear AGX's for a good price, but if I can't I might just end up going Illuminas all round. Last question NJMax, sorry for pestering you with all these suspension questions. So when I purchase all the shocks/struts, I also NEED Dust Boots and Bump stops or just Dust boots? What else do I need to purchase?
Old 08-24-2003, 04:04 PM

i'm not njmax, but i can tell you that OEM dust boots come with bump stops built in (at least in the front). If you get the OEM ones, you definetely wanna cut off a notch from the bumpstop to give you better wheel travel.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:15 PM

Use the KYB dust covers, they have shortened bump stops built into them. The P/N's are SB103 and SB108. You need two of each.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:29 PM

do you also need kyb strut and shock mounts when you get springs/struts?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...ount&brand=all
Old 09-02-2003, 09:28 AM

How much lowered are you with the HR? I would like to get a better ride, more control, etc. but using the stock SE tires and spring combination. Does HR make a progressive rate spring that keeps you at stock ride height? I'm trying to do what you describe but with stock SE wheels...smooth ride but very controlled.

Any idea if Illuminas/AGX combo would work well with stock springs?

Also, would you recommend Motivational mounts for the front? I need new mounts and don't want to get anything that will make the ride harsh.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:56 AM

dont forget to check the alignment

Quick Reply: Swapped my Front Blues for a set of Illuminas