4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tales of woe for first time with max, lousy piece of dog pile called PEPBOYS

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 11:11 PM

tales of woe for first time with max, lousy piece of dog pile called PEPBOYS

Live in Indiana and was going to go all the way to Chicago to get my new-used cars(That's right, NEW-USED car) and i call Pepboys to make sure that they could do a compression check on this ride. A 1997 nissan Maxima fully loaded with leather heated seats and climate control with 120,000 for $6000(yeah i thought it was a good deal). Drive 3 hours and then get their, pick up the car and then go to pepboys and wait another 2 hours for them to get the car in cos the dealership wouldn't give me any warranty so i had to check the car out somewhere around Chicago. ONLY for the lousy pile of bull-crap peeps called Pepboys to tell me that they can't do it cos they don't have the tools to do it and only the dealership can do a job like that. I just waited 2 hours to get told that and i have to get back to Indiana cos it's gettin dark. so i just took my chances and got the car without even knowing a thing about the engine.

On a lighter side, my ride back was flawless(typical of a maxima) i know a little bit about cars and i know a bad car when i drive one cos of my, sometimes, overly sensitive ears i got. no rattles what so ever suspension seemed to absorb every curve the road had. Car was quiet as hell, handled good. To make matters even better was about to leave the dealership parking lot when they said that i forgot my key fob and i said i didn't cos i had it with me. Apparently the dudes that had the car b4 me had also installed a remote start which was kinda a pleasant surprise for me.

just want to know what i need to be looking out for in this car cos the car seems perfect except for a few burnt out bulbs. Had to make a choice cos they were too many peeps already looking at the car and i couldn't let it go so i had a choice to take it as is and hope for best or leave it alone hoping that the car had a flaw. And i just went with the car cos i've been looking all summer and schools' about to start and i don't want to keep lookin during school.

What do ya'll think. What probs should i bee lookin up for with a deal like this. Any 2-cents would be appreciated. peace
Old 08-16-2003, 11:45 PM

that sucks, wasted a lot of time. at least you got a good deal on the max. why couldn't they check compression?
Old 08-17-2003, 02:21 AM

maybe they are too embarrased to tell you they cant find the spark plugs
Old 08-17-2003, 06:36 AM

Which Pep Boys did you go to? I live in Chicago and Pep Boys is fine for me. I went for an alignment and they were busy so I dropped off the car. There were 3 cars in front of me for an alignment, but the guy bumped me up one They told me it'll be 3 hours before they do my car so I came back in 3 hours and the car was done

I've gotten some work done on my mom's Civic there and no problems. I love their service hours

You could've gone to a smaller shop which do stuff for free