6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

TSB NTB07-016b...ABS issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:50 PM

TSB NTB07-016b...ABS issues

ABS issues, from what I am seeing is that doing the above and changing out the wheel hub/ cleaning or replacing the ABS sensor will solve my woes..(abs intermittently kicking in on dry pavement, no codes or dash lights)

Gonna tackle this next week, and for the life of me I cannot find the part number or any reference of where to buy the plastic hub cap that goes in the knuckle. is this a dealer only part?

Anyone have a part number and price?

Thanks in advance,

Anson
Old 08-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same thing happened to me on my '04. Turned out to be faulty rear abs sensors. Nissan makes updated ones with caps to prevent corrosion. I don't remember how much it cost for parts but easy to fix. Good luck
Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by AnsonJ
ABS issues, from what I am seeing is that doing the above and changing out the wheel hub/ cleaning or replacing the ABS sensor will solve my woes..(abs intermittently kicking in on dry pavement, no codes or dash lights)

Gonna tackle this next week, and for the life of me I cannot find the part number or any reference of where to buy the plastic hub cap that goes in the knuckle. is this a dealer only part?

Anyone have a part number and price?

Thanks in advance,

Anson
Read my thread on this. My car did the exact same thing. I replaced both my rear ABS sensors; got them from Ebay for dirt cheap few months ago. Real easy to replace these, I got them done from a mechanic friend of mine. Problem solved.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by osisray
Read my thread on this. My car did the exact same thing. I replaced both my rear ABS sensors; got them from Ebay for dirt cheap few months ago. Real easy to replace these, I got them done from a mechanic friend of mine. Problem solved.
I snagged both rear sensors from the junkyard on Monday. I also grabbed teh ABS actuator pump too, since someone was so kind as to pull the entire engine/ transaxle front end out for me right now I don't think mine is bad, but 59 bucks beats 1300 if I do need to go down that road...

And that Maxima in the yard... shame. it was hit in the front, blew the airbags including the passenger curtain airbag. the car otherwise was immaculate. well taken care of, and the one remaining tire/ wheel that was destroyed in the crash looked brand new, and good quality. plus it had all new brakes...I feel for the owner, but am thankful that I got there before it was completely picked clean. I even got the embroidered Maxima trunk mat for 7 bucks (good man cave rug)

AJ
Old 09-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Update:

I tore into the Maxima today. replaced the passenger side rear wheel bearing, it was shot. the amount of rust particles that was in the knuckle and in the locator hole that was mentioned in the TSB was amazing. had to dig it out with a screwdriver.

The plastic hub cap was deformed as well. Got a new one at the local Nissan dealer, only 13 bucks. After replacing the hub/ bearing assembly and cleaning out the knuckle, everything worked great! no issues with the ABS anymore, did not need to replace the sensor either.

Car runs great now, and is much much quieter. i originally thought the noise was the tires, but it was the wheel bearing.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions!

Anson
Old 10-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

06 Nissan maxima. abs?? I drove car yesterday and brakes were squealing and pulsating, bad. any ideas
Old 10-25-2015, 10:08 PM

when you say "squealing and pulsating" are you talking about a metal on metal squeal and the pedal shimmying from a warped rotor? or are you talking about the fast pulsing of the ABS kicking in and the noise it makes?

If the former, you probably are due for pads and rotors. pretty straight forward and easy to do, or fairly cheap for a mechanic to do. Figure $45 for a set of decent pads and 50 to 60 bucks for a pair of rotors (talking the front axle, rear axle will be a little cheaper)and then whatever an hour of labor runs.

If it is the latter, well sit back and buckle in because it can get ugly real quick. If you do not have the ABS light on that is a good thing...( see my situation above) you might get away with replacing the wheel bearing/ hub assembly get away with it. if the ABS light on, the best way is to take it to a shop and have them pull the codes to see what is up.

Hopefully you have lived a clean life and it is something easy

AJ
Old 10-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by AnsonJ
when you say "squealing and pulsating" are you talking about a metal on metal squeal and the pedal shimmying from a warped rotor? or are you talking about the fast pulsing of the ABS kicking in and the noise it makes?

If the former, you probably are due for pads and rotors. pretty straight forward and easy to do, or fairly cheap for a mechanic to do. Figure $45 for a set of decent pads and 50 to 60 bucks for a pair of rotors (talking the front axle, rear axle will be a little cheaper)and then whatever an hour of labor runs.

If it is the latter, well sit back and buckle in because it can get ugly real quick. If you do not have the ABS light on that is a good thing...( see my situation above) you might get away with replacing the wheel bearing/ hub assembly get away with it. if the ABS light on, the best way is to take it to a shop and have them pull the codes to see what is up.

Hopefully you have lived a clean life and it is something easy

AJ
not sure what tire that would be on. gonna have it looked at wed and hopefully diagnosed. will talk more later then. just drove it and the jerking with braking is less than first day when it was raining out.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not sure what tire would need looking at with the jerking while braking. It is better than it was Saturday when it was raining but still jerky when braking. Gonna have it looked at WEd and will let you know.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:53 PM

for the TSB it is the passenger rear tire.

Do you notice any loud whirring or growling from the rear when you are at highway speeds? mine was really loud. the bearing was shot, and it was amazing how much rust particles were caked in the knuckle and around the abs sensor. cleaned all of that out and changed the wheel bearing/ hub and it made a world of difference, and the car is muchmuch quieter now

AJ
Old 11-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

left rear speed sensor had to be replaced but now abs light, tcs off light and slip light comes on when tach goes 1.5
Old 11-02-2015, 04:24 PM

ugh... that doesn't sound good.

Did you replace the wheel bearing/ hub assembly? and the plastic hub cap that is behind the wheel hub assembly?

That plastic cap gets deformed from the heat and does not allow the sensor to be placed where it needs to be. This might make the car think the sensor is not reading.

otherwise, you might be in for an abs modulator/ pump replacement

Anson
Old 06-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

In case anyone is looking for more information on this:
https://mynissanmaxima.wordpress.com/