4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 07:10 AM

rear brake problem

Yesterday i installed new rear rotors and pads. At the same time i painted the caliburs with hi temp paint. While driving to work today on the high way i could smell the rear brakes. it seemed like they were draging. I think after i take my foot off the brakes they are not releassing themselves off of the rotor.. Im not sure if the paint is not alowing the pads to slide back and forward. Can any of you give me any advice on this problem.. im goign to look at them again once i get home...

Scott.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:19 PM

Re: rear brake problem

wow 10 looks and not one person had a thing or a thought to say about what might be going on with my brakes... someone throw me a frigin bone here...

scott
Old 08-19-2003, 12:55 PM
maxS

there are metall inserts you shouldnt paint
or... you did smthing to your parking brake

Old 08-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: rear brake problem

Originally posted by ssilva420
Yesterday i installed new rear rotors and pads. At the same time i painted the caliburs with hi temp paint. While driving to work today on the high way i could smell the rear brakes. it seemed like they were draging. I think after i take my foot off the brakes they are not releassing themselves off of the rotor.. Im not sure if the paint is not alowing the pads to slide back and forward. Can any of you give me any advice on this problem.. im goign to look at them again once i get home...

Scott.

Are you sure you aren't smelling your motor oil? Anyway, not to be mean, but how many dumb people can there be that think that by pressing the brake pedal it has anything to do with the rear brakes engaging? Your e-brake controls you rear brakes. Did you by chance forget to put your e-brake down before driving? It could be your paint but where you were supposed to paint should not have affected your brakes.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:40 PM

how many dumb people can there be that think that by pressing the brake pedal it has anything to do with the rear brakes engaging? Your e-brake controls you rear brakes.
I read that as "when you hit the brake pedal it only engages your front brakes". I hope you were just kidding there....

It might have something to do with the way you greased/didn't grease the caliper pin(s). Frank at motorvate.ca gives some useful advice on how much grease to use. He had premature wear of one of his pads because he overgreased the caliper pins. Hope it all works out.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:08 PM

Re: Re: rear brake problem

Please tell me you don't actually drive with that brain....
the back brakes are only for use as an e-brake? Puhllleazze!

And the rear view mirror is for brushing your teeth.

Originally posted by hacim105

Are you sure you aren't smelling your motor oil? Anyway, not to be mean, but how many dumb people can there be that think that by pressing the brake pedal it has anything to do with the rear brakes engaging? Your e-brake controls you rear brakes. Did you by chance forget to put your e-brake down before driving? It could be your paint but where you were supposed to paint should not have affected your brakes.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: rear brake problem

Originally posted by hacim105
Are you sure you aren't smelling your motor oil?
Huh?

Anyway, not to be mean, but how many dumb people can there be that think that by pressing the brake pedal it has anything to do with the rear brakes engaging? Your e-brake controls you rear brakes.
You shouldn't speak of what you do not know. This kind of misinformation can be dangerous. Unless you're 100% positive about something, don't try to pass it off as fact.

The rear brakes are indeed controlled by the brake pedal.

It could be your paint but where you were supposed to paint should not have affected your brakes.

Double check the caliper pins.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: rear brake problem

I checked the brakes when i got home from work yesterday and they didnt seem to smell. Is it normal with new pads and rotors that perhaps they were just getting broken in??.. Even this morning on the way to work they didnt smell at all. They seem to be braking fine.. i could feel heat coming from them when i checked them this morning when i got to work, so i know that they are actually working...i bet the smoke was from the paint just burning up... even tho its high temp..500 degrees.

thanks for the help..
Scott
Old 08-20-2003, 10:24 AM

New rotors can come with a protective coating to prevent corrosion while they are in storage. You're supposed to remove this coating before you install them. The smell could have been that coating burning off. If they feel fine, stop the car correctly, and don't smell anymore, I'd just keep an eye on them for a little while.

Dave