4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

RANT: My 4th Gen is really p!$$!ng me off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

RANT: My 4th Gen is really p!$$!ng me off...

[RANT]
My 1996 GLE is really driving me nuts these days.

First off, MPG has not been great, but not too bad, either.

Second off, my H&R/Tokico combo sounds like rice krispies when I turn in a parking lot and I don't know where to start to fix it.

Third, my sunroof is makinng a horrible clicking noise these days and I cannot isolate the source.

Fourth, I tried to upgrade my Bose and the whole project went to hell in a handbasket- the levels were all off, the SQ was terrible, and I found out that the OEM mounting location sucks.

Lastly, my partially-installed component set (only tweeters) are picking up alternator whine even though they are not connected to anything. Apparently, the speaker leads pass too close to a 12V+ line and pick up interference.

On top of that, I still don't have the car where I want it, AND (worst of all) I got dusted over 100 by a WRX 2 nights ago. I did hang w/ him for the 50-85/90 area, but he could have been playing with me...

[/END RANT]
Old 08-21-2003, 08:13 AM
Jedi Knight

Breathe....and count...1-2-3-3-2-1...ok...now stop being such a bish and suck it up...ish happens
Old 08-21-2003, 08:38 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

take it to the pro's and let them fix ur system, im sure u'll be happy then at least one part will be working well
Old 08-21-2003, 11:46 AM

it is 8 years old :-)
Old 08-21-2003, 11:59 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax

Just drive your car and Enjoy it....
Old 08-21-2003, 12:03 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by nupe500
Breathe....and count...1-2-3-3-2-1...ok...now stop being such a bish and suck it up...ish happens
I was calm after I typed out that post, but man was I p!$$ed off at the max this morning. But as noted here:

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
It is old. The bad part is that none of the rattling in the sunroof was there when I bought it (14 months- but 35,000 miles ago), and despite the fact that I have taken whole jeeps apart to rebuild and compltely repaint (myself), I cannot stp the rattling.

The suspension I just need to stop being a bish about and re-wrench it...
Old 08-21-2003, 12:05 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by nismos14
take it to the pro's and let them fix ur system, im sure u'll be happy then at least one part will be working well
I used to do installs. I have over 100 under my belt. It is just the bose integration that killed me. I tried to rig it to work and it did not work as planned, so now I need to suck it up and do it right. People tried what I did w/ mixed results, I took a gamble and lost. Now I just have to re-do it right.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:04 PM

As far as the sunroof rattle. Mine was in the sliding cover and it would pop over and over. If you tap it lightly sometimes I could reproduce the sound. I finally cut 2-12" pieces of cardboard about 2" wide. I folded each piece in half longways and inserted them into the removable plastic handle. Slide these folded pieces all the way towards the outside on both sides and clip the handle back. I hope this works as this had solved my problem. Kinda stupid, as I don't know what the hel could be in there making all that crackling. Good Luck and also this was happening even with my stg 1+2 sfc's

Originally posted by phenryiv1

I was calm after I typed out that post, but man was I p!$$ed off at the max this morning. But as noted here:

It is old. The bad part is that none of the rattling in the sunroof was there when I bought it (14 months- but 35,000 miles ago), and despite the fact that I have taken whole jeeps apart to rebuild and compltely repaint (myself), I cannot stp the rattling.

The suspension I just need to stop being a bish about and re-wrench it...
Old 08-21-2003, 04:52 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by phenryiv1

I used to do installs. I have over 100 under my belt. It is just the bose integration that killed me. I tried to rig it to work and it did not work as planned, so now I need to suck it up and do it right. People tried what I did w/ mixed results, I took a gamble and lost. Now I just have to re-do it right.
The one thing I learned from doing the stereo in my old 92 was "lose the bose". It's nothing but headaches.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:29 PM

you could buy a 240 throw in a sr20det in there with a lil of aftermarket bliss and beat the living poop out of them wrx imprezas
Old 08-21-2003, 05:49 PM
V^___^V

shiet happens.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:19 PM
Sports Button FTW

yea, the bose system in maxima's are not that hard to change but very time consuming and a lot more tricky than other cars. I always go professioanlly when it comes to those type of stuff unless its a quick amp change or something...

for mpg, check out your 02 sensor, knock sensor and fuel filter. I just changed my 02 sensor and my gas mileage looks REALLY REALLY good so far.

i heard of putting these things around the shocks to stop from noise...well i hope things get better. I remember when u was so happy wi that car, getting it dropped, it looked so beautiful and now all this is coming at u at once...
Old 08-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Maxima Princess

My mom just bought a WRX and let me tell ya..that car is F***in fast...
Old 08-21-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Sarah99GXE
My mom just bought a WRX and let me tell ya..that car is F***in fast...
my friend just got a sti, it's really fast.

no radio, no speakers and it has semi slicks on it. he paid about 30k.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:23 PM

My 1996 GLE is really driving me nuts these days.

First off, MPG has not been great, but not too bad, either.

Second off, my H&R/Tokico combo sounds like rice krispies when I turn in a parking lot and I don't know where to start to fix it.

Third, my sunroof is makinng a horrible clicking noise these days and I cannot isolate the source.

Fourth, I tried to upgrade my Bose and the whole project went to hell in a handbasket- the levels were all off, the SQ was terrible, and I found out that the OEM mounting location sucks.

Lastly, my partially-installed component set (only tweeters) are picking up alternator whine even though they are not connected to anything. Apparently, the speaker leads pass too close to a 12V+ line and pick up interference.

On top of that, I still don't have the car where I want it, AND (worst of all) I got dusted over 100 by a WRX 2 nights ago. I did hang w/ him for the 50-85/90 area, but he could have been playing with me...
First of all, some of you guys should at least try to offer him suggestions instead of just shrugging them off and saying "**** happens" just because its an almighty Maxima.

The Bose system is okay, for a stock system, as long as you don't want to upgrade. As you probably know, you need to run different speaker wire because the Bose wire is only designed to carry the unamplified signal. You sound like you have more experience about this stuff then me (shielding problem?).

As for the sunroof, can you go into more detail? Does it just click randomly or when you go over bumps? Obviously something is loose up there.

As for the shocks, I can't really help you there. You should e-mail the manufacturer to see what they say about it (leaking maybe?).

Someone already addressed the MPG issue. 02 sensor or knock sensor most likely. I wouldn't expect 30+ mpg even in good shape though, but 20 mpg isn't too much to ask.

As for the WRX, they aren't that fast, but they are still faster than a Maxima. Our VQ engines lack 85+ mph performance, just like most NA V6 engines with no variable valve timing. You hung with him to 85 (I really doubt he was playing with you), which sounds about right. Don't get it in your head that they are super fast though, they're just faster than a Maxima (my friend loves to dust them off in his 91 Infiniti Q45 that only cost him 2k).
Old 08-22-2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by pscmj84

First of all, some of you guys should at least try to offer him suggestions instead of just shrugging them off and saying "**** happens" just because its an almighty Maxima.

The Bose system is okay, for a stock system, as long as you don't want to upgrade. As you probably know, you need to run different speaker wire because the Bose wire is only designed to carry the unamplified signal. You sound like you have more experience about this stuff then me (shielding problem?).

As for the sunroof, can you go into more detail? Does it just click randomly or when you go over bumps? Obviously something is loose up there.

As for the shocks, I can't really help you there. You should e-mail the manufacturer to see what they say about it (leaking maybe?).

Someone already addressed the MPG issue. 02 sensor or knock sensor most likely. I wouldn't expect 30+ mpg even in good shape though, but 20 mpg isn't too much to ask.

As for the WRX, they aren't that fast, but they are still faster than a Maxima. Our VQ engines lack 85+ mph performance, just like most NA V6 engines with no variable valve timing. You hung with him to 85 (I really doubt he was playing with you), which sounds about right. Don't get it in your head that they are super fast though, they're just faster than a Maxima (my friend loves to dust them off in his 91 Infiniti Q45 that only cost him 2k).
the wrx is fast and the sti is even faster and by having all wheel drive it will dust most of not using nos, turbo or supercharger.

a stock 3rd gen & 4th gen can not compete with a stock sti. you could but money on that.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:11 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Lets not turn this into a WRX thread, I was just venting on that issue.

On the other issues, it is clear that I have to go the next step and remove all bose components from the vehicle. I was hoping to not have to do that, but as hhas been said above, shyte happens. Fortunately, I have the gear sitting around to do it, I just need the adapters and mounting kit.

About the sturts, I am pretty sure that the springs are not clocked correctly in the perches. I hope to look at that sunday. I have them spiral wrapped and re-used the OEM isolators. I think that over time they just unseated themselves. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=239291

The sunroof problem is more complex. I actually had a whole thread devoted to it, but of course search is turned off, so I cannot bump the thread. (edit- here is the link: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=236299 )
Old 08-22-2003, 06:33 AM

Sucks to hear your having problems with your car Patrick, but I know what you mean. My shifter is having problems (gets real stiff after driving for a while) and my car is in bad need of a tune-up. Dont worry about the WRX, I smoked a modded Audi (I think the 2.8) with 2 other people in my car, so maybe some I'll send you some of that karma Just take it in stride. Good luck too.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:26 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Update:

Somehow the springs self-corrected, at least for now. 99% of the sprig noise went away over the weekend. i am not saying it is fixed, because obviously somethign is not right, but for now i am content with the noise level (or lack thereof).