4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EGR Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

EGR Valve Replacement

I need some information and hopefully someone can help. I did some manual searching and didn't see anything on the EGR valve here already. My '99 SE Limited had the SES light come on a few days ago. I took it to AutoZone and they confirmed that my EGR Valve is the culprit from the diagnostics. I was told my easiest bet is to replace it. I contacted my local dealership and they told me it is not covered under my warranty (extended warranty to 100k miles supposed to be bumper-to-bumper). Total cost to replace is going to be about $330 and I can't afford it. I've replaced a few parts on my other car before like the alternator, brake job but I'm not certain how easy it will be to locate and replace the EGR valve. Any suggestions? I haven't picked up a Haynes manual for this car yet. I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:31 AM

haha this is funny we are posting similar issues at the same time. I just posted the best place to buy an egr valve. I also have a 99 sel and mine just went out.......what symptoms is your car having, notice any worse gas mileage...and a weird lack of power then surge from 2-3500.......car doesnt seem as strong? Thats my symptoms anyways.
As far as replacing it goes....shouldnt be to bad.....just have to be patient
Old 08-22-2003, 06:59 AM

If you have extended warranty then it should be covered! I went out of my extended warranty recently, but while i had it my brake master cylinder went and the guy at nissan first calls me and tells me its not covered. So i asked him to speak to his manager cause it was definately covered he comes back a few mintues later and tells me it is. Moral of the story is that they dont know what the hell they are talking about sometimes.

If you check your list of things that are covered and not covered. You will find that the only things that are not covered is squeeks & rattle, shocks, brake pads, audio system and anything cosmetic. I might have missed something but I am 100% sure that any component that is not requried to be replaced in scheduled maintanece is covered under the extended warranty! I have a 97 max and I have never needed it replaced.

Better call them and check again, go to another dealership or call the main nissan customer service directly and ask them!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:14 AM
What's next!?..

Originally posted by infinitiblast
haha this is funny we are posting similar issues at the same time. I just posted the best place to buy an egr valve. I also have a 99 sel and mine just went out.......what symptoms is your car having, notice any worse gas mileage...and a weird lack of power then surge from 2-3500.......car doesnt seem as strong? Thats my symptoms anyways.
As far as replacing it goes....shouldnt be to bad.....just have to be patient
The EGR controls exhaust gas recirculation thereby reducing NOx gas levels.

I think mine is dead or dying too. Just failed emissions test cause my NOx levels were 2 times the legal limit.

I'm having the whole system checked by my mechanic in a few days.

- So where IS the best place to get an EGR valve?

Thanks. JP
Old 08-22-2003, 09:38 AM

From what I am hearing from some local mechanics you might try to clean that baby out with some carb cleaner. It might at least get you to the point to passing emissions. Just as a note....the cheapest I have found the part is at....... www.nissan-parts-dealer.com its 101 dollars.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:15 AM
What's next!?..

Hmm.. $264 for all the parts needed to replace the whole system. Not bad.
I'll have to keep that in mind once they figure out exactly what needs getting replaced.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need Help!!

I'm finally getting around to trying to clean my EGR Valve. I have my Haynes manual (with pictures) but I cannot find the EGR Valve. Can anyone post a picture of it or otherwise describe where it is?