4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Dome Light Stopped Working!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dome Light Stopped Working!!!

Hey guys, i decided to upgrade the interior lighting in my 95 se. I bought the rearview mirror from a mid-90's chevy lumina (it has 2 lights built in). I wired the +12V constant and ground to the front map light (by the sunroof switch). I then wired the switched on wire to the center dome light (so the light would also come on when the doors were opened). After everything was wired and properly connected (solder connections) eveything worked as expected. However about 20 minutes later i lost my dome lamp functionality. When i open the doors the door lights come on but the dome lamp doesn't. When i put the dome lamp to the on position it works fine, but when i put the switch to the position for when the doors open, the lamp doesn't not come on. When i rotate the dimmer switch on the dash to turn on the interior lights, it also does not work.

Any Ideas???
Old 08-23-2003, 11:06 PM
ivelweyz

blew a fuse or the load is too big since all those things use the same amount of power that only the other lights used to use...

Old 08-23-2003, 11:37 PM

Uhh, all i can say is don't put chevy stuff in your max. Something likely could have got messed up. I would say take it out and put the orig. stuff back together and see if it works. if not, then you can worry. I have had some wierd elec probs with the max myself. I did the led in the window switches, didn't pay attention and put the led in backwards, found out, put it in the right way and it worked...kind of. The light was great but I couldn't roll my window up or down, or use my power door locks. security system wouldn't arm either. big mess. so i ordered a replacement, and after i paid and it was on it's way, the thing "fixed itself" after about a week. All i can say is put it back together and good luck.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:25 AM

I know its not a fuse issue because the lights on the door still work and all the lights come on (dome light and new light in rearview mirror) come on when i put the dome light switch to the on position, and all the lights share the same fuse.

And i dont really think it could be too much load as its just 2 very small wattage bulbs i added to the circuit, chevy or not, i know there are aftermarket rearview mirrors with compasses, electrochromatics, and thermometers that all could draw a comparable load as these 2 small bulbs.

Any other ideas???
Old 08-24-2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by maxima_se007
Uhh, all i can say is don't put chevy stuff in your max. Something likely could have got messed up. I would say take it out and put the orig. stuff back together and see if it works. if not, then you can worry. I have had some wierd elec probs with the max myself. I did the led in the window switches, didn't pay attention and put the led in backwards, found out, put it in the right way and it worked...kind of. The light was great but I couldn't roll my window up or down, or use my power door locks. security system wouldn't arm either. big mess. so i ordered a replacement, and after i paid and it was on it's way, the thing "fixed itself" after about a week. All i can say is put it back together and good luck.
So Chevy components messed up his car? Thats silly... The same rearview in my fathers 99 Chevy Suburban can also be found in late 90's Toyota's. That stuff is all outsourced anyway. It's not like Japanese have there own magical form of electricty.

bg18461: My dimmer switch on the dash never turned on the interior lights?

Did you check the fuses just for fun?

Time to get a cheap multimeter and figure out where you are and aren't getting voltage.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:34 AM

Maybe i am remebering the dimmer switch from my dad's car , but none the less, it still doesn't work with the doors opening. I checked the fuse for interior illumination and its fine, but is there any other fuses that play a role in this system?
Old 08-24-2003, 06:13 PM

The dome light is operated from the Body Control Module. Any accessory running to this module can possibly ruin that particular accessory if it happens to short out. Are you getting voltage to the light, even if the fuse is still good?
Old 08-24-2003, 06:34 PM

Do you mean when the switch is in the "on with door" position or just the on all the time position. It lights up on the on position, therefore i highly doubt its getting voltage in the "on with door" position as it does not come on. Where is the Body Control Module located?
Old 08-24-2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by bg18461
Do you mean when the switch is in the "on with door" position or just the on all the time position. It lights up on the on position, therefore i highly doubt its getting voltage in the "on with door" position as it does not come on. Where is the Body Control Module located?
The Body Control Module is located inside the center console, underneath the radio. If you're getting voltage in the constant "on" position, but not with the door trigger, then something is definitely wrong with the signal coming from the BCM. I'm not sure, exactly, how to test this, but this type of problem happened to my friend's Max at one time...he shorted the step light on the driver's door, and it fried the signal to the BCM. I believe, maybe, the BCM must be tested somehow to repair any shorts for a particular accessory that may get damaged.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:09 PM

I live close to a u-pull yard, does the max share the BCM with other nissans, like an altima,240sx,sentra.