4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i own a max but i got question about my altima

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 11:41 PM
DoGGy

i own a max but i got question about my altima

hey guys. i also have a 94 altima gxe with 80k miles besides my 98 max se. recently the altima barely starts. it was ok before but now i turn the key and it takes about 5-8 seconds until it starts. it kinda feels like its not going to start but it does. takes much longer than before. does anyone have any idea? could it be the battery.

Old 08-24-2003, 12:07 AM
DoGGy

how can i check battery tho?

Old 08-24-2003, 02:58 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

doggy, don't listen to 17 year-old kid who's only been a member for almost 4 months....we take care of all our nissan brothers.

you can test the battery by either using a battery tester yourself, or taking it to your local auto parts store. Pretty much every place will test it for free. If it's the battery, get yourself an optima. After you've determined if the battery is good or not, have the alternator tested as well, because the battery could have gone bad becaus ethe alternator was bad. Also, if the alternator is good, it can be damaged by trying to recharge a bad battery.

A word about optima batteries: the inevitable question of what should i get: a yellow or redtop, comes up. The answer is this:

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life
directly from optima's website. These are the best of the best when it comes to batteries. Also, shop around, i got quotes of up to $150 for a red top, and got it for $96. So don't take the first price you get.

if it's not the battery, come back and let us know what you found out.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:07 AM

maybe it's a problem with your gear shifter? try wiggling it while starting car.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the older altimas have alternator and starter problems all the time.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:36 AM

DoGGy, I'm sorry. It was late, I was tired, and in a bad mood I guess. I just read my posts and they weren't helpful. Fearthegecko, I have been here since early 2002, didn't login for a while and my acct got reset or something. had to reactivate. Been longer than 4 months. DoGGY, i deleted them, and again, I apologize.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: i own a max but i got question about my altima

Originally posted by DoGGy
hey guys. i also have a 94 altima gxe with 80k miles besides my 98 max se. recently the altima barely starts. it was ok before but now i turn the key and it takes about 5-8 seconds until it starts. it kinda feels like its not going to start but it does. takes much longer than before. does anyone have any idea? could it be the battery.

There is a site www.altimas.net that is kind of like the .org but for altimas. They have forums and everything. If you don't get enough info from guys here you can always try and go there.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:46 PM
DoGGy

thanks for the info everyone.
maxima_se007 its cool, dont worry about it.
i have been on altimas.net but honestly the people over there seem to know nothing and they barely help u when u run into a problem. last time i had a problem with my altima, i posted a question on there and only got 1 reply in 7 days.

people on maxima.org are wondefull and very caring. also everyone here seems to know much more than the folks over at altimas.net and folks here care enough to let others know what they know.
I will try everyones suggestion and see what happens. thanks all