4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My first stereo mod complete... tell me what you think.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2000, 07:09 PM

I've about taken this sytem to my financial and technical limit... as i learn more i imagine things will change..

please critique, audiophiles....

i really really enjoy the sound i get out of this system

all music sounds good on it, yet i am not trtying to blow anyone out of the water

http://www.geocities.com/amixam69/nissan/audio/

Pioneer DEH P6000 head feeding : Lanzar 6.5 inch in front and Audiobahn aluminum cone 6.5 inch in the back

alpine MRP-T304 is feeding a JL 10" sub .. i send everything bellow 80Hz to the sub amp with the head units built in crossover setup...

also the audiobahn are composite with the tweeters facing towards the center of the car from the back

I LVOE IT!.. but now i am hungry for more....

Old 09-16-2000, 09:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds good. If you want, you can throw in 1 or 2 more 10's for some more bass. It doesn't matter what other people think of your system. Just that it sounds good to you. You might want to think about getting a set of components or kick panels.
Old 09-17-2000, 06:48 PM

kick panels ?..
Old 09-17-2000, 06:55 PM

I think you have to custom make them. I'm not sure if anyone makes them for the maxima. They go on the floor, by the door. They are suppose to give the best imaging, b/c the distance of the right speakers to your ear and the left speaker to your ears is less than having the speakers in the door or on the dash.
Old 09-17-2000, 10:23 PM

correct. kick panels give you the best imaging for your car. however custom making them aren't cheap. it's about 500 dollars just for the pod and you'd still need to get a three way speaker system. That itself runs for about 950 and up. focal polyk3. I think that the best sounding system is when you have a set of very good front speakers. speakers aren't necessary in the rear. Also.. it wouldn't hurt to dynamat or accumat your car. If you live in the so cal area, I can recommend a very good place that does car stereo systems.

Old 09-18-2000, 02:56 AM

check out site

I checked out the site you included hoping you had pictures of the actual stereo hook up in your car. I'd rather see that than mere listings and description of the stereo equiptment you have installed. But it looks like you did a good job selecting your stereo system.
Old 09-18-2000, 07:01 AM

Re: check out site

yup.. that's coming up...

so far it's just a listing.... working on it tho..

Old 09-18-2000, 07:21 AM
Disco Biscuit

Nice system.

Very nice.....How many watts is your system?And in reply to the comment about Focal being the best sounding, They are very good, but I would have to question the best. ( personal pref)

[Edited by Whitemax on 09-18-2000 at 09:58 AM]
Old 09-18-2000, 07:45 AM

45w per channel... 200 in sub n.m

n/m... of course, not using to pull potential due to the eardrum factor
Old 09-18-2000, 09:06 AM
Disco Biscuit

I will say this, you don't need components in the rear.

They can actually make the sound worse in the end. I have found that you can use the factory rears running off the head unit and it sounds great for rear fill. If your not careful, the sound becomes way too bright, and can reduce sound quality. The K.I.S.S. method can really come into play here. The more you have , the more can be taken away from the sound quality.( but not quantity, which is what some ARE looking for) I run two matching amps, One for the front components, a second bridged for the sub, so you get around the same wattage total for the components as you do the sub. That helps keep one half of the sound from overpowering the other half.
Anyway, thats my feeling on it, but I do like what you have. Good luck dude...Nice lookin ride too.
Old 09-18-2000, 09:12 AM
Disco Biscuit

And unfortunately, no one makes kick panels for the Max

A guy from Q-logic told me that the relation of the pedals to the panel is too close and there isnt enough room. I then looked and came to the conclusion that with as many kick and scuff marks in that area, I didn't want to kick my new components every day! A good compromise is to remove the factory grill, and make a new one covered in grillcloth that monts and angles the tweeters the way a kick pod would.
Old 09-18-2000, 09:36 AM

Re: And unfortunately, no one makes kick panels for the Max

was thinking... i've seen pics of the JL stealthbox... but does anyone have or make nice molded sub boxes for our trunks ? if so.. pic ?
Old 09-18-2000, 09:42 AM
Disco Biscuit

Other than JL, no.

If you look around your area, you can probably find a local shop who can. They wanted to charge me about $300 plus the sub. IMO it's better to go with the JL since it uses the 10W6.(The same company who was going to make mine told me to go with the Stealthbox just for that reason. And they don't even sell JL!) The JL stealthbox is MUCH more solid than a custom built one, which help's alot with bass quality.
Old 09-18-2000, 05:00 PM

I dunno much about stereos, but I love your Borbet Type M's.
hehehe...

Old 09-18-2000, 08:02 PM

Re: check out site

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amixam69
[I]yup.. that's coming up...

so far it's just a listing.... working on it tho..

That's cool!! Let me know when it's ready.
Old 09-18-2000, 09:35 PM
LuvSpeed

That sounds very nice, you are probably getting some nice sound there. Did you do the install yourself or have a shop do it? It looks like your next natural progression would be to get an amp for the front components as HU power never seems to be enough, but of course when car audio is concerned, nothing ever seems to be enough. =)

Old 09-19-2000, 03:42 PM

Looks good, but do you think it was worth the money. I have a GLE with the Bose system. Do you think your speakers out perform them. I left them alone and went directly to the bass. I added a Crystal 15" with an Cadence Ultra Drive amp. I enjoy the great 400 watts of bass. Well anyways, I liked your system and hope you have fun with it.
Old 09-19-2000, 04:22 PM

I will have the opportunity to pit my system and compare to both of gr8max's current and previous bose.,.. we will see how they compare...

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Looks good, but do you think it was worth the money. I have a GLE with the Bose system. Do you think your speakers out perform them. I left them alone and went directly to the bass. I added a Crystal 15" with an Cadence Ultra Drive amp. I enjoy the great 400 watts of bass. Well anyways, I liked your system and hope you have fun with it.
Old 09-20-2000, 07:05 AM
Disco Biscuit

IMO, almost ANY quality aftermarket system sound better than BOSE

Not to say that Bose sounds bad, they do sound good, but for about the same price as a Bose system, you can get the sound you want from aftermarket pieces, and it's easier and cheaper to replace once something fails. If you never have any plans on playing with the Stereo, Bose is a good choice. Otherwise go with aftermarket.
My $0.02. (No exchanges, no refunds)
Old 09-20-2000, 07:50 AM

Re: IMO, almost ANY quality aftermarket system sound better than BOSE

Good... I only have a five anyway

Originally posted by Whitemax
Not to say that Bose sounds bad, they do sound good, but for about the same price as a Bose system, you can get the sound you want from aftermarket pieces, and it's easier and cheaper to replace once something fails. If you never have any plans on playing with the Stereo, Bose is a good choice. Otherwise go with aftermarket.
My $0.02. (No exchanges, no refunds)