4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What the HAIL is Wrong with people ? ECU Dilemma ..Someone please help me !

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 07:25 AM
Old Maxima Legend

What the HAIL is Wrong with people ? ECU Dilemma ..Someone please help me !

When I started the whole ECU upgrade process man, was I filled with excitement and enthusiasm ! Just think the JWT ECU UPGRADE, im going to be fast !

I have been buying this and that for the Max getting a mod here and a mod there, and its been fun ya know. Up until now !

ceasars chariot versus finding a 96/se/manual ecu

I started this hunt on car-parts.com. Just select what you are looking for and BAM 100's of items all over the states pop up. So I go through the criteria and select 96/SE/MT

Round 1

This is a nightmare and I will keep it simple and short. I ordered what they were selling. A 96 SE ecu from a manual speed tranny. I got the ecu in the mail and thought , alright, time to test it out. The ecu was fine, and my car was doing great .. So I checked the codes. (i already have a service engine soon light up for 01 04 Vehicle Speed Sensor). Along with my code another code was flashing. a long slow 8 pulses followed by 4 slow ones . 08 04 I thought this could not be good and I checked the ecu decoder and sure enough just what i feared to see ..

08 04 Automatic Transmission Control Unit signal to ECU

So I called the guy up at the salvage yard ( over in maryland) and he said send it back. What I dont understand is what the HAIL is wrong with people ? I asked the guy 100 times in email and on the phone : IS THIS FOR A MANUAL SPEED TRANNY ? YES YES YES

You would think something like this would be easy. So anyways I send it back and the guy emails me and says no refunds or exchanges and he planned on keeping my money. ( SHORT VERSION )

So I called mastercard, my bank, the better business bureau, and the federal trade commision. Lets just say after that the guy paid me back the money but remember this. If you document everything you do, all emails, all receipts, and get delivery confirmation or tracking numbers on stuff you send. Your credit card company will take the money back even if they are not willing to refund. Anyways, its the law so dont get pushed around .. by cheats .

Round 2

So after a few days of all that garbage, I continue the hunt. I call a place and talk to a guy thats around 150 miles from here . He has what I need. He is on top of things and knows for certain the car he has is a 5 speed manual. I ask how much do you want for the ecu ? He says 60 dollars. We will take it out and call back tommorow and we will get things going.

The first ecu deal was for 150 and so im thinking ..YES , I have been redeemed !!! This one is for 60 ..this is AWESOME ~

I call the guy back around 10 in the morning the mext day. He gets on the phone and said that he is sorry ! Im like O NO ! What the heck is going on now ? The guy said when his people went down to the car to pull the ecu, it had already been taken out " STOLEN " and that he was sorry. He said people sneak around out there in the yard and steal from time to time ... Can you believe this ?

Round 3

So back to carparts.com With money in hand im still searching. IS this so hard for adults to accomplish ? I call another place over in georgia . they want 125 including shipping. So I tell the guy my horror story and asked him to triple check and inspect the ecu to make sure its for a manual. He said no problem, he is showing a manual and will double check.

So yesterday the ecu comes in. Man im happy as all get out and hook it up. cars running just fine and I take her out and run the car hard and everythings great. so this morning i went out to check the codes. Man i was nervous, i mean after all this, you would at least feel jinxed. So the codes are flashing I take a deep breath and with pen start writing them down.

the codes

01 04 Vehicle Speed Sensor
05 04 Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU
07 07 Rear Heated O2 sensor
08 04 Automatic Transmission Control Unit signal to ECU

Can you frilling believe this ? Auto transmission codes the nightmare continues. At this point im wondering what the hail is wrong with people. why did they send me a auto ecu it is not what they advertised or what i asked for nor what i hounded the guy about, and yet here i am with a 96/auto ecu !!

anyways ...im venting this out and going to call the guy today..! this sucks !

if anyone has any ideas or suggestions feel free to email me or PM .. i have got to work on getting my money back and sending this one back ...

am i doing something wrong here ? what do these codes mean ? also i have a 97 SE 5 speed manual and looking for a 96 SE 5 speed manual ...

HELP !
Old 08-29-2003, 08:18 AM

damn man, i called ONE place, ordered the 96 mtx ecu, paid my 110, and they drop shipped it to JWT for me...20 years later, JWT sent me my ecu, i installed it earlier this week and i have no CEL's at all! in a 97!

sorry bro...i got mine from crosstown? auto in alexandria virginia...try givin them a call.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Unbelievable.

Consider this though. You're going to have CELs simply because you're running a non-compliant ECU in your car. Common CELs will be emissions stuff. The speed sensor and auto control codes are all related to not having the auto. The codes don't effect performance. The O2 sensor code is odd, but aren't you running a test pipe? I believe Neal is running a reprogrammed auto ECU in his Max and you see how quick he is. I'm pretty sure he's got constant CELs. I don't know how much I'd worry about the ECU seeing you'll get CELs regardless.

Dave
Old 08-29-2003, 08:44 AM

Isn't there some type of serial number or ECU number you can ask for (like they have if for transmissions)? The ECUs have to have something on it to tell what year and tranny it's from/for.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:10 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

Why does it have to be from a Manual (sorry if this has been covereed b4, I can't search fro thee answer)? If JWT are gonna reprogram it anyways?
Old 08-29-2003, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
Unbelievable.

Consider this though. You're going to have CELs simply because you're running a non-compliant ECU in your car. Common CELs will be emissions stuff. The speed sensor and auto control codes are all related to not having the auto. The codes don't effect performance. The O2 sensor code is odd, but aren't you running a test pipe? I believe Neal is running a reprogrammed auto ECU in his Max and you see how quick he is. I'm pretty sure he's got constant CELs. I don't know how much I'd worry about the ECU seeing you'll get CELs regardless.

Dave
It might be possible to get around the emissions CEL with an O2 sensor simulator or something, if you can manage that you would be CEL free if you had a 5 speed ECU. Even if you do have the 'rear heated O2 sensor' code, if you are checking them periodically (like you should if you have a constant CEL) it is less of a PITA to have one code to ignore instead of three or four.

Can JWT change a auto ecu to a manual? (I don't think so) Also it would be nice to have a 96 5 speed ECU if someone was selling a 5 speed JWT ECU and wanted a stock 5 speed ECU + $$$.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:50 AM

How much are we saving by getting the ECU ourselves and then sending it to JWT? I need one too.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Boosted Panda

d@mn, Sorry to hear about all the frustrations. You could have bought mine. Although it wasnt for an SE but it was a 96 5 speed ecu. JWT wouldve taken off the speed limiter.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Old Maxima Legend

test pipe

Originally Posted by Dave B
Unbelievable.

Dave
Dave, I do have the test pipe installed and with the 96 auto ecu I got the 07 07 ( Rear Heated o2 Sensor) I do have one o2 sensor that appears to be bent. Drivers side b pipe

So, after I disconnected the 96 auto ecu, I connected the 97 ecu again. Drove around and checked my codes the next day. Now the 97 is not picking up the 07 07 code. The only codes flashing with this ecu are:

01 04 Vehicle Speed Sensor
03 02 EGR System Hi/Low Flow

So I wonder if the test pipe is causing the 03 02 or is it something all together different and is either of these problems hurting performance ?

I have good news on the ecu. I talked with the place and they apologized and told me they thought I wanted an auto ??????

So he located me a 96/SE/MT and is going to have it here by wednesday. So I have my fingers crossed and hopefully will be ready for the big haul over at JWT and in 2 months i will be all the better.

So when thats complete it will be MEVI time and Im going to try some headers.
So those will be my big 3 performance mods for a while.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Old Maxima Legend

matching the ecu's up

Originally Posted by Scruit
Why does it have to be from a Manual (sorry if this has been covereed b4, I can't search fro thee answer)? If JWT are gonna reprogram it anyways?
i will save the more technical side to someone like dave b, but from what i would think, you match the ecu's up so you will not throw codes which causes your service engine light to come on.

Example: if you put an auto ecu in a manual its going to throw auto transmission codes... so you now have a service engine light on.

so lets say you get used to it or its no big deal..well what if something else goes wrong ? you will not know unless you check your codes regularly. When I put that auto ecu in the my max i had 4 codes going off, and at first i was looking at all the lights going what tha? where do i start? But soon you will see that the ecu starts with the smallest long pulse code and works its way up like: 01 04, 05 04, 07 07, 08 04 . Now this is at least what I have experienced.

Also most people hate a service engine light. I know I do ! Now thats about all I know. You do hear that some people run autos in manuals. The ecu does work. I have ran 2 auto ecus in my max now. But with my limited knowledge im holding out for exactly what i was told i would need.

The journey continues !
Old 09-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Old Maxima Legend

unsure

Originally Posted by deezo
How much are we saving by getting the ECU ourselves and then sending it to JWT? I need one too.
i believe by sending your own you dont have to bother with paying and extra 500 dollars or so and then having it refunded. For me 1000 plus bucks is to hard a hit even with a refund down the line for half of that. anyways thats a ballpark figure
Old 09-01-2003, 09:00 PM
Conecarver

"getting a mod here and a mod there" - damn, where you getting all that cash Hope that 5sp ECU arrives like you hope Wed.

One thing you could try is asking the yards for the VIN of the car they're pulling the ECU from - then cross reference that to check the exact mfg date and tranny type. I did that for my 1st '96 ECU and it worked out perfect. This summer I tried buying a 2nd unit and thought I found one for $50 - until they called back saying the car was so crumpled they couldn't even get it out and I probably didn't want it anyway.

Oh, for that rear 02 sensor error - the '96 has a 3wire non-heated O2 sensor. Starting in '97 they used a 4wire heated style that the old ECU doesn't understand. Sounds like JWT either changed their program or ignores it to make it work.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:48 AM

i get no codes/cel running a 96 se 5speed in my 97 se 5 speed
Old 09-02-2003, 09:08 AM

can you run a 96 5spd ECu on a 995spd?
Old 09-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by PharoNDmist
can you run a 96 5spd ECu on a 995spd?
No, in 99 they used a different ECU then the previous years. It's like the ECU's in the 5th gen.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:00 AM

That sucks!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
"getting a mod here and a mod there" - damn, where you getting all that cash Hope that 5sp ECU arrives like you hope Wed.

One thing you could try is asking the yards for the VIN of the car they're pulling the ECU from - then cross reference that to check the exact mfg date and tranny type. I did that for my 1st '96 ECU and it worked out perfect. This summer I tried buying a 2nd unit and thought I found one for $50 - until they called back saying the car was so crumpled they couldn't even get it out and I probably didn't want it anyway.

Oh, for that rear 02 sensor error - the '96 has a 3wire non-heated O2 sensor. Starting in '97 they used a 4wire heated style that the old ECU doesn't understand. Sounds like JWT either changed their program or ignores it to make it work.
great videos on your carsdomain site !
Old 09-02-2003, 12:50 PM

I have a 97 MT ECU in my 97 ex-Auto car.

i get the Rear heated O2 Sensor code often.

Why is this? The O2's are the same on the 2 cars...Auto or Manual.

Or is it just possible I have a 96 ECU?
Old 09-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Old Maxima Legend

ECU Update

today is friday september 5th, 2003 and I have an unopened box here with another ecu in it. This makes number 3 ! I am hoping for the best !

If I open this box up and put this one in the car and it turns up auto . Im going to have to pay someone else to get me a 96/SE/MT ecu. LOL !

If all goes well ... im moving on to step 2 !
Old 09-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
today is friday september 5th, 2003 and I have an unopened box here with another ecu in it. This makes number 3 ! I am hoping for the best !

If I open this box up and put this one in the car and it turns up auto . Im going to have to pay someone else to get me a 96/SE/MT ecu. LOL !

If all goes well ... im moving on to step 2 !

and.......
Old 09-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Old Maxima Legend

and ....

(stage 2) and sending it off to Jim Wolf for the JWT ECU upgrade. and once its back , im popping it in.

i hooked it up and things are looking good .. I have not checked codes yet, but at the moment there are no codes ... and i also have no idea but this ecu has B6 on it and the auto one I have has B7 on it. I wonder if b6 means manual and b7 means auto ?

well i dont really care as long as this one works !~

mike .. lol ,,you were worried i Knew something you didnt ..lol ! with all this stage nonsense !!