4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help installing Front strut bar.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 09:57 AM

Need help installing Front strut bar.

Hi, i just got my Courtesy Nissan strut bar. Only thing is i cant get 2 of the bolts on. One of the strut bolts is blocking the bolt that attaches the bar to the bracket. I know that doesnt make any sense. Heres some pics that should show you what i mean.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/mrglynis/101-0103_IMG.JPG
http://home.carolina.rr.com/mrglynis/101-0105_IMG.JPG

I hope you guys can help me. I dont know what i can do to get the nut on. Theres just not enough room. The car is a 99 GXE. Thanks alot.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn!!! My bolts aren't that big nor sit that high. Try putting the bolt on the bar with the allen screw facing forward and you should be able to get it locked on.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:05 AM

Looks like you need to get an open ended bolt to go on that strut bolt. My 99 has open ended bolts on them already.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:12 AM

thanks for the replies guys.

deezo, yea i thought the same thing. didnt work though. The head of the bolt is too big.

So wheres about should i go to get me a open ended bolt? auto parts store should have it right?
Old 08-29-2003, 12:56 PM

Did you get the right mounts? On mine ('97), the bracket with the large allen head bolt is extended away from the flat mount itself about 2 inches. This gives ample room for the bolts. I'd call Courtesy, and maybe email them your pics to see if they sent you the right mounts. When I got my RSTB, they sent me the correct rear mounts, but a front bar. The front bar is about an inch or so too long for the rear. When I told them about it, they sent me the proper bar, and I shipped them the wrong one in the same packaging with them paying all shipping. They said sometimes the bars and mounts get mixed up.

Dave
Old 08-29-2003, 01:22 PM

i cant see how they would be the wrong mounts. Everything else lines up. The mounts, the bar is the right length. I just cant get the nut on the allen head bolt. I went to find a replacement open ended nut. What a PIA!! I went to Napa, Ace Harware, and a Nissan dealership. None of them had what i needed. The bolt is kinda weird. The outside is 7/8. Thats the only socket i have that will fit it. But the threaded hole is only 10mm. So i've got this big ol nut with this tiny little hole in it. The only nuts people have for 10mm are pretty small. I'm pretty sure i need a big thick nut on there. They wouldnt put such large ones on there for no reason. I;m going to go to another dealership in the morning to see if they have it. If not, i dont know what i'm gonna do.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

had the same problem with the strut bar from Courtesy for my 99 SEL. they sent you the wrong nuts. these are the acorn looking ones. you need a set of open nuts. just call them up and they'll send you replacements for free. that's what they did for me.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ecapati
had the same problem with the strut bar from Courtesy for my 99 SEL. they sent you the wrong nuts. these are the acorn looking ones. you need a set of open nuts. just call them up and they'll send you replacements for free. that's what they did for me.

Thanks for all your help fellas. After about 4hrs worth of driving to Napa, Ace Hardware, Lowes and 2 delearships, i finally got what i needed. The second time i went to the second delearship the guy decided to go ask the techs what they thoght. 2 min later he came back with a couple of nuts and said "this is what they use". And that was that. Everything on there and tight. It is definetly noticable. Car drives great. Cant wait for my sway bar to arrive.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:05 PM

If you think the FSTB made an improvement, just wait till you get the RSB! The RSB was definitely the biggest improvement on my car. The RSTB is not very noticeable at all, although it's convenient to be able to store small items between it and the backseat without worrying about them flying around (quart bottles fit perfectly).

Dave
Old 11-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just wanted to update this thread with my experience this week.
My Courtesy Nissan strut bar would not clear the two inter-nuts either. Problem is, later Max's have strut mounting nuts with a domed head, not open. The dome gets in the way!

Anyway, instead of running to a Nissan dealer, I emailed Courtesy and they sent me the two proper replacement open nuts, US Priority mail. Nice.

Sorry for the bump if this was old news, but this was a very helpful thread for me the other night when I thought I was going crazy. Maybe this will help the next guy get through this problem easier.
Bob