4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WTF is wrong with my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WTF is wrong with my tires?

Yokohama Parada Spec II's installed

WHen driving from 35mph - whatever, I can hear a whump whump whump whump that is not very noticable, but since I drive the car, is annoying as heck to me.

It almost sounds like rythmic road noise, or even wind noise.

I've had the rims checked for bends, and the tires rotated and balanced twice. Even had one "Bent" rim repaired, but it sadly didn't change anything.

The sound even after rotation of the tires appears to be coming from the driver's front at all times.

So I'm fairly sure it's not the rims or tires. There is a very slight shake in the steering wheel as well.

From my previous experience with axles, the last time one went out it vibrated and made a noise, but it got worse under any accelleration. This is not the case here.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
IanS
Old 09-02-2003, 10:57 PM

It could be an inner cv joint, or could it be a warped rotor? try having the tires balanced at another shop...Their machine could be off. dunno. just giving some suggestions.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the suggesstions.

2 different places have done the balancing - one of them let me stand there and showed me each tire as it was balanced until I was satisfied.

Had the rotors turned 2 weeks ago, along with new brake pads.

Could be the axle - which would suck because it's only 4 months old.

Thanks!
IanS
Old 09-02-2003, 11:46 PM

Just some thoughts, as I'm trying to diagnose a similar "vibration" in mine at 65 mph and up.

Have you tried getting to speed where the sound and vibration is noticeable to you, then slipping it in neutral? Is the sound still there? If not, it's a tranny/engine problem. If it is, then wheels/suspension. Also try it in any acceptable gear (considering speed. I wouldn't drop it in first at 50. You know what I mean). This could further eliminate possibilites.
Have you checked all suspension/body related bolts on the side the noise/vibration is coming from? I did mine, and they were all OK. It could be worth a shot.

Have you checked brakes/rotors? Possibly your front left brake is sticking just a little and contacting the rotor more than it should. Feel your front rims after a drive to see if one is hotter than the other.

And finally, what about the torque on lug nuts? May sound simple, but out of spec lug nut torque could cause vibration, which could cause noise.

Just some thoughts. Hope you find the answer so you can tell me.

Dave
Old 09-03-2003, 12:23 AM

I installed the brake pads myself, and the noise is no different with the new pads installed, so I'm sure that's not it.

It's definately a circular sound - so it has to be:

tranny
axle
hub
rotor
wheel

It does it the same in N or in gear.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:53 AM

My wife says she doesn't notice the vibration, so this leads me to another possibility. Are we just too **** about our cars? I don't think so, but it's a thought.

Doing it in neutral and in gear leads me to think it's axle, hub, rotor or wheel. Doesn't sound like tranny to me (but I could be wrong).

Have you tried raising the front end, and spinning the left front by hand? I know you can't get it to 35 mph, but maybe you can hear or feel resistance somewhere that'll help pin it down. This helped me once track a slightly dragging brake that made a sound similar to yours; but I didn't have a vibration from it. I fixed it by disassembling the brakes, and regreasing the caliper pins right.

I've also read about raising the entire front end, and having someone put it in gear and slowly step on the gas slightly. Then you can watch the wheels from the front to see if there is a wobble or shimmy. You may be able to duplicate the noise, and pinpoint it more closely. Needless to say, I'd do this very carefully, and only with the car firmly supported on jackstands. I also wouldn't race the engine with the wheels in the air. And once again, I'd make very sure there is no way the car could fall.

Dave
Old 09-03-2003, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
My wife says she doesn't notice the vibration, so this leads me to another possibility. Are we just too **** about our cars? I don't think so, but it's a thought.

Dave
The wife never notices a problem until the car dies or something falls off.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:21 AM

borrow some wheels and tires that are riding correctly on a diff car, and put them on yours, then you will know if it is your vehicle, or the wheels/tires
Old 09-03-2003, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by techie
The wife never notices a problem until the car dies or something falls off.

HAHAHA my girl friend was driving with a FLAT TIRE the other day, im talkin almost completely riding on the rim... how do you not notice that?!
thank god she wasnt driving my car...
Old 09-03-2003, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes

Dave
When it dies, sure my wife will notice. But when something falls off, unless it's the engine - she probably won't.

Probably a long shot - but could it be a wheel bearing?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaZX
HAHAHA my girl friend was driving with a FLAT TIRE the other day, im talkin almost completely riding on the rim... how do you not notice that?!
thank god she wasnt driving my car...

My wife once, on a previous car with rear drums, was driving the car home after we went to pick it up from getting the brakes done. I was following her, as we stopped at a light quite a few miles away from the shop, I noticed smoke coming from the rear wheel. As I chased her down after the green, calling her on the cell, she stopped and said "What?!", somehow she didn't notice that the one of the drums had locked up. I asked her, "doesn't the car seem to be dragging, you know honey, not accelerating?" her- "no" me- "well it's SMOKING"
Old 09-03-2003, 12:51 PM

I have a similar problem with my tires, they hum and get louder with speed increase. Town fair said some tires just have certain characteristics to them and you never know untill you put them on..oh well just1 more seaons then grab some new ones.