4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ran out of gas, possible damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:26 PM

ran out of gas, possible damage

i was trying to see how far i can go on one tank of gas, to see if i can do more than my ~400mpg. i thought if i get dangerously close to empty the low fuel warning light would come on and warn me. well it didnt. i was on the road when the engine cut out and my warning lights come on, just as you put the key in the 'on' position. i was able to restart and limp over to a gas station a block away. the engine cut out a few times and the rpm fluctuated wildy when i hit the gas harder. i refueled with the usual premium 91 and off i go. as soon as i drive out i noticed weak acceleration, not really bad but noticible. i get on the freeway and i could feel it, like im driving a 4 banger, the pedal goes way down before i get a surge of power. dealer told me it could me my injectors, autozone told me it could be air in the lines. or it could be just lower quality gas even though it was 91. i always refueled at the same station for months now. what do you think guys? im awfully worried i inadvertly damaged my max. that warning light should have lit though. please help.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:15 PM
ivelweyz

Good job. You deserve what you got. If a warning light never came on before how did you figure it would come on this time. Next time you feel smart get a 2 gallon tank of gas and put it in the back an if you run out put osme in. How do you get 400 mpg???

Old 09-03-2003, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
Good job. You deserve what you got. If a warning light never came on before how did you figure it would come on this time. Next time you feel smart get a 2 gallon tank of gas and put it in the back an if you run out put osme in. How do you get 400 mpg???
errr... i always get 400 out of one tank. thats the norm for me. but this time around i decided to see how far i can go before the low fuel light would light, since it never lit you see. and the problem is, it doesnt come on as i learned today. it didnt light. so theres a definite problem there. my engine shut off at 426.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My guess is you may have thrown a knock sensor code. Check your ECU. See if you have a 0304 code. I mean if it was puttering and stuttering, that may do it. Reset ECU.

Otherwise reset the ECU anyway. I think if I WAS a VQ30DE and running on fumes, I'd retard myself a bit. It's a free try.

Oh yah, and running without gas can burn up fuel pumps. Fuel cools the pump.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by izzydig
My guess is you may have thrown a knock sensor code. Check your ECU. See if you have a 0304 code. I mean if it was puttering and stuttering, that may do it. Reset ECU.

Otherwise reset the ECU anyway. I think if I WAS a VQ30DE and running on fumes, I'd retard myself a bit. It's a free try.

Oh yah, and running without gas can burn up fuel pumps. Fuel cools the pump.
i didnt get any codes at all, my engine light didnt light or flash after i refueled. but ill definitely try resetting my ecu. anything that can help. i drove the car some more after the whole thing and aside from that weaker acceleration nothing else seems amiss. im thinking the ecu might have reverted back to some protective mode and for some reason didnt spit out any trouble codes. ill try anything.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:21 AM
DoGGy

Your Maxima Ran Out Of Gas And Now Its Acting As A 4 Cylender To Save You Some Money And To Help Itself Avoid Another Possible Choking To Death!