4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EGR no more?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

EGR no more?

Has anyone heard of a mod to remove the egr system? I was talking with a guy that just swapped an SR20 into his 240 and a friend of his suggested removing the egr system. He said it would do away with alot of the vacuum hoses. Anyone have any idea?
Old 09-04-2003, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by slammed95
All it will do is get rid of a few small hoses. Won't pass smog, probably won't run right, and CEL most likely will turn on.
When you're at WOT the egr isn't activated anyways, so it's useless.
It gets rid of quite a few hoses in most cases. As far as passing smog, I guess it depends upon how close you are to the limits already. If you're on the edge, then it would MAYBE cause you to fail. Most of the time you'll be jsut fine without it. The only part of your post that I would agree with is the CEL. That will turn on and throw codes. And yes, when at WOT the EGR closes and is not used, but that doesn't mean that at partial throttle it wouldn't help. Not saying it's worth it, as I don't think it is, just saying that it does still help some.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:49 AM

"EGR only improves part throttle performance and gas mileage. At part throttle, the EGR system reroutes a small amount of the exhaust gas back into the intake. Since exhaust gas has already been burned, it doesn't burn again when mixed with the air/fuel mixture. Instead, it merely displaces some of the air molecules in the combustion chamber. As a result, combustion chamber temperature and fuel requirement are both reduced. Since a cooler combustion chamber decreases the chance of detonation, the ECU doesn't need to pull out timing. Therefore, you would get good performance and gas mileage.

There is no EGR at idle. Your idle will be rough if your EGR system feeds exhaust gas back into the intake at idle. Likewise, there is no EGR at wide open throttle. At wide open throttle, you want the maximum number of air molecules entering the combustion chamber in order to make maximum power.

In short, there is no need to disable the EGR system for power because it's not on at WOT anyway."

Looks like I spoke too soon. Sorry about that. Just did some looking around (googled it up ) and it seems that you were right.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JdawgX
"EGR only improves part throttle performance and gas mileage. At part throttle, the EGR system reroutes a small amount of the exhaust gas back into the intake. Since exhaust gas has already been burned, it doesn't burn again when mixed with the air/fuel mixture. Instead, it merely displaces some of the air molecules in the combustion chamber. As a result, combustion chamber temperature and fuel requirement are both reduced. Since a cooler combustion chamber decreases the chance of detonation, the ECU doesn't need to pull out timing. Therefore, you would get good performance and gas mileage.

There is no EGR at idle. Your idle will be rough if your EGR system feeds exhaust gas back into the intake at idle. Likewise, there is no EGR at wide open throttle. At wide open throttle, you want the maximum number of air molecules entering the combustion chamber in order to make maximum power.

In short, there is no need to disable the EGR system for power because it's not on at WOT anyway."

Looks like I spoke too soon. Sorry about that. Just did some looking around (googled it up ) and it seems that you were right.
Did not mean to spark any spirited conversations. I was not looking for any performance gains, I guess I should of said that. I'm having problems with my EGR system and rather remove it than fix it if it's simple and won't cause problems. To keep the SES light from coming on I would guess you would only need to put a resistor in a plug somewhere. The problem is that when the EGR system kicks a code THEN performance suffers. I was hoping someone that has done this or seen this or even heard of someone doing this had some input. Trust me I already researched the purpose of the EGR system. I live in Florida so I don't have to pass emissions. I've tried to troubleshoot the problem but I can't figure it out so I'm taking the whip to dealer when the SES light comes back on to see what is wrong. Thanks though.