4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Window cleaning help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 11:12 AM

Window cleaning help needed

Yes, I know it sounds lame but I have tried everything I can think of. I have spots on my rear window, I don't know if its hard water, or stains or what it is. I've tried regular windex, automotive window cleaner, CLR, X14, and nothing has touched it. Its very annoying.

I'm trying to find out what kind of products you guys use and how well they work. I don't know if I can get a picture of what I'm talking about but I'll try if anyone thinks it will help. I can actually feel the spots so I'm pretty sure I should be able to get them out somehow. I have it on my side windows as well but its not as noticable.

Please help! Do they make window rubbing compound? lol

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2003, 11:43 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

If the spots are on the outside of the window, you can use steel wool. No this will NOT harm your window in anyway. This can also be used inside, but most commonly the spots you see are "water spots" wetness that the sun dried on. Another thing to try is adding vinegar to your glass cleaner. There really is no special glass cleaner to use, so a regular Windex with a slight bit of Vinegar will help. The Vinegar will also help prevent streaks.

-_Don

BTW..when doing windows remember to use 2 towels. One wet, one dry. Never wash your glass towels with towels that you used for waxing. There are theories of using newspaper...feel free to try that as well.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:30 PM

I had this problem once with my chev car. Hard water that dried on the car.

What i did was to mix up some baking soda and water. Put it on the car and let it dry (not bone dry but dry) , the car will become white. Don't scrub it on, just drag the towel around to distirbute. After it is dry take vinegar and water mix and (no scrubbing) wet and wipe up (dry towel ) small sections at a time. Don't allow the vinegar mix to dry. Take the car to the car wash and give it a very good washing. Then take it home and wax it.

I did this to my old beretta years ago with the plastic bumpers (same as the max). Previous to doing the treatment i couldn't get the paint to shine on the plastic bumper section no matter how many times i waxed it. But after the treatment one coat of wax made it sparkle !

I know any people working in the detail bussiness are probbaly crying about now I don't reccomend this be done often but if your windshield and paint have spots that don't go away for no reason this is an option.

A friend of mine's told me about this after his wife watered the truck on a hot summers day (not a happy camper !) his windshield was so badly waterstained that when he drive at night every little water stain shined and made it so he couldn't see out. When trading in a previous car he had (same thing happended) the dealer made him do the windshield before trading it in.

This is takes alot of time to do but the next time you think of washing your car at home with hard water you won't ! I learned my lesson years ago.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the tips guys! So I'm guessing if I try the steel wool method I should use it wet? Should I use it with the Windex/Vinegar mix? As for the baking soda, you used it on the paint, did you use it on the windows as well?

I'll try these out tommorrow and let you know my results. I hope it works, its killing me to see these and not be able to do anything about it.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:19 PM

You can also use a rubbing compound. Or, the product I used for my waterspots, Duragloss Nu-glass. Works like a compound, but chemically removes the spots, too. Like you, I had tried everything including vinegar, CLR, green scratch pads, etc... A local glass shop tried the Duragloss, and they came right out. Excellent product for glass. You can order it on line, or get it at a glass specialty shop (where they do windshields, etc...). Online try www.duragloss.com

With steel wool, use very fine, like 0000. Also use a glass cleaner as a lubricant. And watch doing mirrors, as a lot of modern exterior mirrors are a coated plastic, and you'll remove the coating.

Dave
Old 09-06-2003, 09:37 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Yes, use glass cleaner with the steel wool, and also like Dave said 0000grit, as well as extremely gentle on the mirrors as they are very sensitive.

--Don
Old 09-06-2003, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by MdMaxDrvr
Thanks for the tips guys! So I'm guessing if I try the steel wool method I should use it wet? Should I use it with the Windex/Vinegar mix? As for the baking soda, you used it on the paint, did you use it on the windows as well?

I'll try these out tommorrow and let you know my results. I hope it works, its killing me to see these and not be able to do anything about it.
I would use super,super fine steel wool if i was going to try the steel wool
Old 09-06-2003, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by onegoode
I would use super,super fine steel wool if i was going to try the steel wool
try the mother's claybar.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:47 AM

I use the 0000 grade steel wool. I don't get it wet though. It just leaves a layer of dust that you can wipe/blow off before using a cleaning solution. Then, after that I use a 50% vinegar/50%water solution and use paper towels. Use new towels on each window. People have actually asked me how I keep my windows so clean since I live on a short dirt road and have periodic rainshowers in my area. WORKS GREAT!!! Oh, and if you have tint, DON'T use the steel wool on the inside where the film is. Exterior is OK though.