4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should my brake pads be touching while the car is sitting still?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 11:45 AM

Should my brake pads be touching while the car is sitting still?

So for a little while now, i've noticed a noise in my car. It doesnt happen all the time, but enough that i know its something wrong. I told my mechanic and he said that my rotors might have a little bit of rust on them.

Heres what happens. When i'm in my driveway (facing down a slight hill), and i start to roll forward the car makes this moaning sound. I cant really describe it any more than that. It does it with the clutch pedal up or down, and in 1st, nuetral, and reverse. While rolling forward slowly with the car in reverse that is. If i push the brake pedal the noise stops, along with the car since i'm going about 1mph. I've just gotten to where i'm hearing it more and more,so i want to find out what it is. I'm in the middle of having my mechanic do my 60k maintinence, and i want to give him a better idea of what it might be. I took my front wheels off in the driveway and it looks like the pads are touching the rotors on both sides. I know it supposed to be close. But i'm 98% sure they are touching.

Would that be the cause of the noise? And if so, how do you adjust the pads to where they dont touch? Thanks alot for any help you can give.

Oh yea, its a 99 GXE 5-speed, with 60k miles.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You cars front brakes have little springs in the front pads (at least they should from the factory) that push the pads away from the rotor. Still it shouldn't matter if the pads are touching the rotors or not. When I put my aftermarket pads in they didn't have the little holes to re-install the springs, so I just left them out. Usually that will not make noise though unless your caliper is malfunctioning. Are you sure it's coming from the front? It could be your rear brakes are not fully retracting because they have the funky screw type caliper. Mine make a groaning noise if I roll forward and the e-brake is on sometimes. Not sure if that was helpful at all...
Old 09-10-2003, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I cant be totally sure its coming from the front. Although that what it sounds like. It could very well be the rear brakes. One htingi should mention is that i have accidentially driven with the e-brake on. Only a short distance, like out of the driveway. I wonder if doing that the 3-4 times its happened has made them stick or something. I dont know. We'll see. I guess my mechanic will have to snoop around and figure it out.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:16 PM

Could be the rotor dust shield.....just bend each one back a little and see if it went away