4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing a Dent

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 07:16 PM

Removing a Dent

Hi, i just got a dent on my drivers side door. Its about the size of a fist, and theres no paint damage. i was wondering if there's a way to remove it without taking it to a body shop? do you think those dent poppers on TV work? Thanks
Old 09-11-2003, 07:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That's what i wanna know... i have a small dent too... bout the size of a dime... it's sux... everything is nice and shiny.. until i see this dent... anyone know?
Old 09-11-2003, 07:55 PM

I saw a test demonstration of the suction type dent puller on my local news. They test various products to see if they work.They said that it works
Old 09-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not speaking from personal experience, but from what a friend told me:

Those "as seen on TV" type dent removers (like the "ding king", or whatever) don't work, and can possibly even strip your paint...

If anyone here can personally vouch for these things and prove me wrong, do so by all means please. I have a small dent in my trunk that's just dying for a simple fix.

heh.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:24 AM

As far as the tools, they don't work most of the time. My friend who does paintless removal tried one and said it depends on the dent. It may work for some dents, but not most. If the dent is as big as a fist, most likely even a paintless removal person wont be able to get it to look perfect again. The metal is probably stretched too far. Unless it's not deep, just shallow and wide.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:10 AM
ChristheNite

The best be would be to take the door panel off and get a hand inside there with the windo rolled up and push against the dent from the inside. You should be able to get it.

And for the guy with the dime sized dent - bring it to a body shop and they can probably bondo and paint it for like 100$, if thats too much money you can do it yourself or just live with it.

All those ding doctor and things are ****.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChristheNite
The best be would be to take the door panel off and get a hand inside there with the windo rolled up and push against the dent from the inside. You should be able to get it.

And for the guy with the dime sized dent - bring it to a body shop and they can probably bondo and paint it for like 100$, if thats too much money you can do it yourself or just live with it.

All those ding doctor and things are ****.
I just had 2 estimates to fix a dime size paint chip on my hood.They were $367 and $364 to fix it right.A national tire and battery store did it while installing a new battery. The manager isn't wanting to pay for it because he said that he doesn't see how his guy could have done it.If he doesn't agree to pay then i'm going up his corporate ladder and if they still want agree to pay then I'm taking them to small claims court.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I haven't done this yet and will try soon, but I have heard that dry ice applied to the metal (not sure exactly how to apply it) will actually pop the dents out. Something about changing the properties of the metal to shrink it.
Anyone else heard of this?
Old 09-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have seen the Ding King in action. It has to be original paint. It will remove the large portion of the dent. It will not completely make the dent dissappear. Even on the commercials you can see some distortion left after the tool pops off the car. A body shop owner I know uses one to get the majority of the dent out befor he putties the remainder and paints the car.
Dry Ice does work somethime because it cools a small area and shrinks that areaquickly and thus makes the dent pop out. Usually used on Hail damage..
You may try a local dealer that has a Dent Doctor onsite to remove unsightly dings from your ride. I have seen good results from this.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:24 PM

where can you get dry ice?
Old 09-12-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by Respected
I haven't done this yet and will try soon, but I have heard that dry ice applied to the metal (not sure exactly how to apply it) will actually pop the dents out. Something about changing the properties of the metal to shrink it.
Anyone else heard of this?

That's a really old trick. I'm sure you have seen Monstor Garage. They heated the roof of a car then cooled it off with a towel drenched in icy water to remove the dent. Well if you saw that episode you would have known this sort of works, it really messed up their roof by making more dents and peaks (for lack of a better word). I wouldn't try this method at home, but maybe the dry ice technique works differently.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Call a Dent Dr. Paintless Dent Removal expert and have them look at your car. If they tell you they can remove it, trust me, it will be 100% perfect when their finished. We use them at the body shop from time to time. The guy who comes by me does excellent work. Even had a ding removed from my front fender, 20 minutes later my car was perfect. They get between $80 - $120 per panel.