4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen common prob per dealer ... water damaged ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

4th gen common prob per dealer ... water damaged ECU

Sorry this is a long post! Maybe I should have made several little posts...

So I have about 5k left on my extended warranty........
SES light is on, I already know its the knock sensor and code 420.
Turns out the code 420 fired 32 times in the past couple weeks.

I met a really knowledgeable and really cool tech. For sure my knock sensor is bad, I guess they also have some kinda vibration test they can do on a KS. Mine failed the voltage test though.

My ECU was also water logged. He showed me a TSB on this issue. Turns out water can get to it several ways. When the AC is in, tons of water is dripping and can lead its way to the ECU. They have a little make shift ECU cover that funnels away the water from the ECU. It is possible my ECU is shorted out and is throwing codes like crazy. There are also other ways he discussed, such as outside rain water, car wash water,etc. I don't seem to remember many people on here have water issues with the ECU???

*** started dedicated thread for this part ***
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....06#post2323806

We take a look at my knock sensor. Right under the plenum there you can see the KS and some injectors. I see some massive moisture on the injectors and on the walls of my plenum. He states how fuel is leaking around the injectors and how the gas evaporates and leaves this petrolium liquid behind. This does not sound good to me. He thinks some new injectors would be a good decision. Can this mean anything else is wrong?

Would it be a bad idea to put z32 injectors in a NA maxima? I plan to get boost down the road, but what will it do now? The tech explained that the ECU would "learn" and use the new injectors. z32 injectors are the ones with the yellow dot on them, right?

I started talking about the ECUs and the ConsultII and how it is possible to get after market ones. He mentioned you have to send your ecu in to have it programmed ( as we know already) for the early 4th gens. He then commented that the newer ECUs (not sure how new), can be programmed directly without sending them in. It would be nice to get our hands on a newer consult and see what you can change on a newer maxima ECU, or whatever can alter the ECU settings directly.

So my dealer is going to work with my warranty company and see what they will pay for.....
Old 09-12-2003, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prodeje79
Would it be a bad idea to put z32 injectors in a NA maxima? I plan to get boost down the road, but what will it do now? The tech explained that the ECU would "learn" and use the new injectors. z32 injectors are the ones with the yellow dot on them, right?

This has been done by Mardigrasmax and some others. A search should yield more information, or visit Mardi's homepage. The bottom line is the ecu does learn the larger injectors, but you will have to lower the base fuel pressure some with an adjustable fpr to get it to idle properly. You can only use 370 cc/min injectors from a 95-96 Z32 TT.

There is no advantage with the larger injectors as long as you're NA, but once you go forced induction, there is a big advantage in that you can keep your fuel pressures lower than what you would need with the stock injectors.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
This has been done by Mardigrasmax and some others. A search should yield more information, or visit Mardi's homepage. The bottom line is the ecu does learn the larger injectors, but you will have to lower the base fuel pressure some with an adjustable fpr to get it to idle properly. You can only use 370 cc/min injectors from a 95-96 Z32 TT.

There is no advantage with the larger injectors as long as you're NA, but once you go forced induction, there is a big advantage in that you can keep your fuel pressures lower than what you would need with the stock injectors.
Thanks for the info! My search hardly ever works at work for some reason, I get network errors or it just keeps searching forever and never goes to a new screen. I will locate a Mardi post and look at his page. Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2003, 03:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hey, my ecu was waterlogged as well. gave me heaps of problems last saturday. GRR... at least i know others have had this problem. i had the ecu reset and ill clean the ecu a bit. any know resolutions for this?
Old 09-17-2003, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by maxNYC
hey, my ecu was waterlogged as well. gave me heaps of problems last saturday. GRR... at least i know others have had this problem. i had the ecu reset and ill clean the ecu a bit. any know resolutions for this?
They have a TSB in which they create a cover that funnels away the water. Unfortunately my aftermarket warranty company determined that they will void my warranty due to my aftermarket intake.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:19 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

They have a TSB in which they create a cover that funnels away the water. Unfortunately my aftermarket warranty company determined that they will void my warranty due to my aftermarket intake.

I'd love to meet the engineer who determined that your aftermarket intake would void your warranty on an ECU/Moisture issue.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

I'd love to meet the engineer who determined that your aftermarket intake would void your warranty on an ECU/Moisture issue.

This was an aftermarket warranty, not the dealer one.
A dealer cannot void the repair unless they can prove your part caused the problem.
Apparently, the aftermarket warranty can be voided if I install any aftermarket parts. They say it is in my contract and my contract is in my car, so I will have to re-read it when I get my car back tonight.

Either way, I explicitly told the finance manager at Nissan I was going to install an intake and exhaust. He said as long as it was not a CAI, my warranty would be fine, so I bought it. I have witnesses to this as well.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Who are they? Nissan or an aftermarket company?

I'd like to have this ECU problem corrected. any Advice would be appreciated. thx