4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003 | 09:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Intake problem

I put an intake on my 99 maxima, it idles fine but when I give it more gas it seems to bog down really bad and will kill the engine, I hooked in all the hoses and the wires from the stock intake also. What would cause my car to do this.
Old 09-12-2003 | 10:38 AM
Handsome

Originally Posted by maxzima
I put an intake on my 99 maxima, it idles fine but when I give it more gas it seems to bog down really bad and will kill the engine, I hooked in all the hoses and the wires from the stock intake also. What would cause my car to do this.
Check to make sure that you plugged the MAFS back in. That is the black pipe (that goes between your intake box and resonator) with the little box on top of it. Chances are you unplugged this and forgot to plug it back in. How did the install go, were you rough with any of the parts?
Old 09-12-2003 | 01:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think that broke the mafs unit when i was taking it off of the original, i'll try a different one and see what happens. The install was not to hard it just bugs me that it did not work like I had planned. I'll keep ya posted on what hapens, thaks for the reply.
Old 09-12-2003 | 06:27 PM
Always sunny in philly

my check engline light came on...everything is fine and shi*t sounds mean, but that annoying orange light comes on.
Old 09-12-2003 | 08:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Street Reeper
Check to make sure that you plugged the MAFS back in. That is the black pipe (that goes between your intake box and resonator) with the little box on top of it. Chances are you unplugged this and forgot to plug it back in. How did the install go, were you rough with any of the parts?

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I put my JWT intake back in. I pulled out of the driveway and when I put it in drive my car stalled. It kept stalling. I pulled back in and checked the connections. The plug that goes to the MAF was not plugged in all the way. I push it in till I heard a click, turned the car on, and no problems since then .
Old 09-12-2003 | 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by maxzima
I think that broke the mafs unit when i was taking it off of the original, i'll try a different one and see what happens. The install was not to hard it just bugs me that it did not work like I had planned. I'll keep ya posted on what hapens, thaks for the reply.
thats not good

MAF == $$
Well, I just got one from the junkyard for $50

BTW things never work out as we plan... thats how its meant to be! When I was putting on my first intake I needed to make a trip with half a intake to home depot to buy some damned screws and nuts for the adaptor...
Old 09-13-2003 | 06:43 AM
Handsome

Originally Posted by chillinmax
my check engline light came on...everything is fine and shi*t sounds mean, but that annoying orange light comes on.

Take it to Auto Zone, they will run the codes for free.
Old 09-16-2003 | 11:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced my MAF and that fixed my problem. The car runs and sounds good but i'm not sure if i want to keep the intake on or not, I cant tell if I have gained or lost power, it seems to be about the same, but it sounds better than in did.
Old 09-17-2003 | 09:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm glad that you fixed the problem. I put my stock intake back in tonight, just got back from the test drive. Second time putting it back in a month . I think I like my car to be more on the quiet side now. I put in a K&N OEM style panel filter that goes in the stock air box, car feels good. I may sell my JWT pop charger. I don't think that there's too much of a difference between my pop charger/y-pipe combo and the K&N/y-pipe one.