4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel problem. Need advice or help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 02:22 PM

Fuel problem. Need advice or help!!!

All of a sudden I developed a fuel problem with my '96 Maxima. It was starting hard, needed to kind of pump the pedal to get the car to start. I changed out the fuel filter but that didn't fix it. I THINK I smell gas from under the hood but I could be wrong. I have like 150k miles on the car and have never really had it in the shop, so it could be almost anything. My guesses so far are the fuel pressure regulator or could it be the fuel pump?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2003, 02:27 PM

my guess would be the fuel pump. as for the smell of gas, you might be flooding the cylinders with gasoline when you're pumping the accelerator. hopefully someone who knows much more than i do can come through and help.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:54 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I bet you have a weak signal from your crank position sensor (POS). Thats a very common cause of hard starts for our cars. Your high mileage is key here also. That sensor is located under the car on the tranny bell housing twards the front. Remove it and clean off the metalic dust that is attracted to the tip of the sensor. There is another crank position sensor (REF). It looks at the lower pully. Pull back the splash shield under the right front tire (as if your changing your oil filter) and you'll see the sensor. Remove it and clean the metalic dust off the sensors tip.

Those sensors are responsible for spark and fuel delivery timing. If POS is weak your signal to fire the spark plugs is weak and you can flood your engine while trying to start it when it acts up. There's where your smell of gas is coming from.

This process will cost you nothing and will most likely fix your hard starting condition.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:28 PM

Sweet, I'll give this a shot tommorow and let you know if this fixes it! Never would've even guessed it might be the crank sensor.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:19 AM

In that case you have problem starting all the time, or is it just cold start?
Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I bet you have a weak signal from your crank position sensor (POS). Thats a very common cause of hard starts for our cars. Your high mileage is key here also. That sensor is located under the car on the tranny bell housing twards the front. Remove it and clean off the metalic dust that is attracted to the tip of the sensor. There is another crank position sensor (REF). It looks at the lower pully. Pull back the splash shield under the right front tire (as if your changing your oil filter) and you'll see the sensor. Remove it and clean the metalic dust off the sensors tip.

Those sensors are responsible for spark and fuel delivery timing. If POS is weak your signal to fire the spark plugs is weak and you can flood your engine while trying to start it when it acts up. There's where your smell of gas is coming from.

This process will cost you nothing and will most likely fix your hard starting condition.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:31 PM

Hey I found them both, took them out, cleaned them and BOOM! She fired up right away! Can't thank you enough for the help!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jettatdi
Hey I found them both, took them out, cleaned them and BOOM! She fired up right away! Can't thank you enough for the help!

Hey,

I thought maybe you can help me. I have a 99 maxima and am having problems with my acceleration. After several trips to the dealer and no help, I am ready to get rid of my maxima unless I can fix the problem.

Let's see:

When I press the pedal, there is always a vibration in it rather than it being a smooth press. The pedal has a lot of elasticity to it. On the highway, it is very uncomfortable to drive. The pedal doesn't have umph behind it - It feels loose. I have cleaned the throttle body, replaced the cable. Could this be a fuel pump/fuel regulator problem? I have had plenty of diagnostic tests done but no codes have shown up. It is an intermittent problem but is occurring regularly. The ride is crappy and i want to get it fixed. Did you experience anything like this? If so or you have any ideas, please advise! Thanks.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:31 AM

Well damn, my car started fine for a day, now it's back to the way it originally was, I'll replace the crank position sensor and see if that takes care of it.

As for the pedal and acceleration problem your having, my guess would be the throttle linkage, but it sounds like you already have chacked all of that out.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by jettatdi
All of a sudden I developed a fuel problem with my '96 Maxima. It was starting hard, needed to kind of pump the pedal to get the car to start. I changed out the fuel filter but that didn't fix it. I THINK I smell gas from under the hood but I could be wrong. I have like 150k miles on the car and have never really had it in the shop, so it could be almost anything. My guesses so far are the fuel pressure regulator or could it be the fuel pump?

Thanks!
I had the same problem good thing it was not the fuel pump because is pumping fuel thats why you smell fuel my problem was the COILS not all of them but two of them I change it and wala all fix ........try the coils ..alot easier than taking out the fuel pump ..........good luck