4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shadow, could I pick your brain??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 07:48 PM
JonH in Philly

I am considering upgrading my brakes on my '95 to the 300ZX brakes. But I have a few ??:

1. Do I only need front rotors & calipers or the rears also.

2. Can I use them off a '93 Z NA.

3. What steps do I have to go through to get them to work.(I tried to go to your home page, but what came up didn't give me anything about your home page).

4. Do you think Zenetti Vegas will fit, I am getting 18x8.5.

Old 02-12-2001, 10:41 PM

The rear brakes won't work, you can't upgrade them to the 300zx brakes, only the front. Yes, you can use the '93 NA brakes, they're all the same after '91. Mine are from a '91 TT. You have to cut the rotors down 3mm in diameter and cut off the dust shields. That's all. The lines from a Maxima fit, my SS lines are for a Maxima and the fittings on the caliper are the same. You might also have to cut down a steering knuckle a little to fit. I'm not sure if the Zenetti Vegas will fit, they have a lip to them. I tried to get 18" Racing Hart M7000's and was told by the Dazz tech no way they would fit since the offset was 42. What's the offset on the Zenetti's? Right now my wheels are a 35 offset and barely clear. Hopefully the 19" ADR GT Sports I'm getting will fit, but just in case I ordered some spacers.
Old 02-13-2001, 05:29 PM
JonH in Philly

O.K. I found out that the wheels have a 45mm offset which from what I asked Zenetti, should be more than enough they said the lower the # the less space you have.

So, is the stock Maxima rotor bigger or smaller in dia. or width? You said I need to cut 3mm off the diameter of which rotor?

If the 300ZX rotor is smaller do I need to cut the shield for the caliper?

So the ZX caliper and rotor should hook right up after I make the modifications?

Did you get new calipers or rebuilt ones? What about bleeding the brakes?

How much better do the brakes feel?

You should make a FAQ on this so I wouldn't bother you with all these questions.

Old 02-13-2001, 06:42 PM

Actually, the lower the number, the further out the wheels are. A 35 offset is the widest wheel that will fit on a Maxima. 45 offset probably won't clear, I tried to buy a set with 42 offset and was told no way.

The diameter of the Maxima and Z rotors is the same, but the Z caliper sits lower so the 3mm has to be machined off the radius. The Z rotor is thicker than the Maxima rotor, that's why the dust shield has to be cut off. If you don't cut it, the rotors will not fit.

I got used calipers, don't know if they were rebuilt, but the shop inspected them and said they were fine. I had new lines installed at the same time so I had the brakes bleed with Motul 600. The feel is exactly the same as stock, I wish they were more firm, but the brakes are more powerful.
Old 02-14-2001, 04:06 AM
JonH in Philly

Thanks Shadow now I just have to make sure the wheels will fit.