4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: what clutch do you have? post what you think of it
stock
60.00%
act
20.00%
exedy
20.00%
jim wolf
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Fried stock clutch again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003 | 09:19 PM

Fried stock clutch again!!!

Well when i first bought my car at 50k i had to put a clutch in now 15k later its shot due to the help of my nitrous kit. Anyway after doing a burnout on my ****ty stock clutch i pushed the clutch down to shift into second and the clutch just stayed to the floor!!(why exactly did this happen, hydrolics are fine) So it looks like im gonna put an act in this time. To all those who tell people to buy a stock clutch i say no way even when the second stock clutch was brand new it was a little soft and would slip sometimes with a hard one two shift if there was good traction. Look at the car and driver long term test of the maxima and how they blew their stock clutch on a stock max in 40k...............enough said. I also see posts dont get act get exedy well i believe that the act hdmm,exedy stage 1, and jim wolf clutches are all about the same as far as clamping specs go so i think it is stupid how you can say an act will ruin the tranny but a exedy would'nt. The exedy only has 3% less clamping force than the act and they both use the same friction discs so to me i would think they are both capable of doing the same damage to the trans.right?
Old 09-18-2003 | 09:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by eddymax
Well when i first bought my car at 50k i had to put a clutch in now 15k later its shot due to the help of my nitrous kit. Anyway after doing a burnout on my ****ty stock clutch i pushed the clutch down to shift into second and the clutch just stayed to the floor!!(why exactly did this happen, hydrolics are fine) So it looks like im gonna put an act in this time. To all those who tell people to buy a stock clutch i say no way even when the second stock clutch was brand new it was a little soft and would slip sometimes with a hard one two shift if there was good traction. Look at the car and driver long term test of the maxima and how they blew their stock clutch on a stock max in 40k...............enough said. I also see posts dont get act get exedy well i believe that the act hdmm,exedy stage 1, and jim wolf clutches are all about the same as far as clamping specs go so i think it is stupid how you can say an act will ruin the tranny but a exedy would'nt. The exedy only has 3% less clamping force than the act and they both use the same friction discs so to me i would think they are both capable of doing the same damage to the trans.right?

Actually, an Exedy Stage 1 organic has a 36% increase in clamping, versus 35% for the ACT. I went with the Exedy just because i got a good deal on it.

I can definately tell you that the Exedy clutch has no problem holding n2o

Eric
Old 09-18-2003 | 10:18 PM

you shure its a real stock clutch and not the dealership POS key value that they sell off as "stock"?
Old 09-18-2003 | 10:22 PM

yeh because they tried to sell me the key value........but i already knew so its the actual oem one. But why do you think the pedal just got stuck on the floor like that if the hydrolics are ok?
Old 09-18-2003 | 11:31 PM

master cylender problems. perhaps an internal leak.
Old 09-19-2003 | 06:58 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

To all those who tell people to buy a stock clutch i say no way even when the second stock clutch was brand new it was a little soft and would slip sometimes with a hard one two shift if there was good traction. Look at the car and driver long term test of the maxima and how they blew their stock clutch on a stock max in 40k...............enough said.
A stock clutch is all anybody needs unless they are running nitruous, SC or Turbo. I never see anyone recomend a stock clutch to those wanting to run major HP over stock.
You either were sold a crap Key value clutch or it was not instlalled properly.

Oh, and who cares about car and driver??? That was one car. My stock clutch went over 100K miles and was in fine shape when I replace it.......enough said

Your the problem, not the clutch. Don't go run nitruous on the stock clutch then come whinning that the stock clutch sucks.
Old 09-19-2003 | 07:02 AM

Stop doing Nitrous burnouts, very smart:
Old 09-19-2003 | 07:35 AM

i wasn' doing a nitrous burnout, that would just be retartedly expensive!!
Old 09-19-2003 | 07:38 AM

i was also thinking maybe the flywheel wasn't resurfaced right is this a possibility?
Old 09-19-2003 | 07:38 AM

i wasn' doing a nitrous burnout, that would just be retartedly expensive!!
if your gonna use any type of FI(SC or TC) or nitrous, upgrade your clutch and save yourself the headache of replacing the stock clutch....
Old 09-19-2003 | 08:09 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Like Mike said, the stock clutch is fine for ANY NA application. I've got 99K miles on my stock clutch with a ton of 1/4 miles passes and 4000rpm launches.

What happened with your clutch? You simply glazed the clutch. This type of thing happens to lots of cars when you dump the clutch at a high rpm on the track. Give a some miles and the clutch will start grabing like normal again. I must ask this though, unless you've got slicks there is NO FREAKING reason to do any sort of burnout. Burnouts on radial tires release oil which makes traction WORSE.

It would be foolish to think the stock clutch should be able to handle any sort of 50+hp shot of nitrous on a regular basis. Nitrous adds a ton of torque and that's what overpowers the clutch. A EXedy or ACT is the only way you'll make all this work. You will have to slow your shifting down a lot though because the ACT/Exedy will destroy your tranny if you're not careful.

Dave
Old 09-19-2003 | 09:02 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

I only got my stock clutch to slip once - because I needed to set off really quickly (changing laes in a traffic backup) revved it up to 6krpm before changing into gear, then realised I was gonna lurch forward to fast and slipped in the clutch. I didn't wanna let off the gas because I needed to set off right NOW. End result, overheated the cluthc and it slipped like a ***** for about 1/4 mile, then it was fine.

I swapped my OEM clutch out at 103k for another OEM (not key value) from the Nissan dealership. Also replaced pilot/throwout/pressure plate and had the flywheel resurfaced. The new clutch drives 100% perfectly, no slipping/grabbing/binding or anything.
Old 09-19-2003 | 09:55 AM
Sports Button FTW

i have stock still, original clutch at 139,000 miles. I have regular N/A mods none of that turbo or anything. I plan to get exedy after thsi though. I prefer ACT but worried about my tranny and heard a lot of good things about exedy.
Old 09-19-2003 | 10:00 AM

Maybe your driving skills are to blame :thumbdown:
Old 09-19-2003 | 11:16 AM

its not my driving skills since i have been shifting dirtbikes since i was 9 and drove a honda 5speed with original clutch from 50k to 120k before it needed a new clutch. Maybe im a little aggresive on the clutch at the track but with my maxima all stock i got a 2.1 60foot time lets see you do that Oh and dave i know that burning my radials does'nt do anything for traction but im getting new tires nxt week so the burnouts were just for the fun of burning out.
Old 09-20-2003 | 08:54 AM

its not my driving skills since i have been shifting dirtbikes since i was 9 and drove a honda 5speed with original clutch from 50k to 120k before it needed a new clutch. Maybe im a little aggresive on the clutch at the track but with my maxima all stock i got a 2.1 60foot time lets see you do that Oh and dave i know that burning my radials does'nt do anything for traction but im getting new tires nxt week so the burnouts were just for the fun of burning out.

A 2.1 isnt that hard to achieve, (2.111 to be exact). And driving dirt bikes has nothing to do with driving a maxima. I can only freakin imagine if you decide to upgrade your clutch how soon your tranny will be in pieces my friend. If your this hard on a STOCK clutch, you will destroy your tranny with an EXedy or ACT in no time....

Eric
Old 09-21-2003 | 05:41 PM

I like how a couple of guys are like it must not have been installed right or how 99maxima5sp says my tranny will be in pieces if i upgrade(gee didnt you just fry your clutch with nitrous?). I dont beat on my car much and this was the first time i freakin burnt out bc my tires are shot and im gettin new ones on this week! It was installed correctly and it really doesnt matter if the clutch had 10k or 70k on it. the shot of nitrous i used was just obviously too much for any stock clutch to handle regardless of how new it was. My clutch was done for bc of the nitrous, as it was slipping alot after i had ran my last bottle. The burnout was the last straw. i should have not burnt out since i knew my clutch was shot and that is my own fault. As for my tanny being in pieces with an upgraded clutch we will see and if i do i guess yours will also 99maxima5sp as for we both fried our clutches with the nitrous. Oh and i wasnt saying its impossable to get a 2.1 60foot but it does take a decent driver to get that #.
Old 09-21-2003 | 05:46 PM

Oh and when i bought the car at 50k the clutch was shot..........so i don't see how i could have done that since i didnt put any miles on it. not tring to be adverserial just tryin to point some stuff out.
Old 09-21-2003 | 06:45 PM

I like how a couple of guys are like it must not have been installed right or how 99maxima5sp says my tranny will be in pieces if i upgrade(gee didnt you just fry your clutch with nitrous?). I dont beat on my car much and this was the first time i freakin burnt out bc my tires are shot and im gettin new ones on this week! It was installed correctly and it really doesnt matter if the clutch had 10k or 70k on it. the shot of nitrous i used was just obviously too much for any stock clutch to handle regardless of how new it was. My clutch was done for bc of the nitrous, as it was slipping alot after i had ran my last bottle. The burnout was the last straw. i should have not burnt out since i knew my clutch was shot and that is my own fault. As for my tanny being in pieces with an upgraded clutch we will see and if i do i guess yours will also 99maxima5sp as for we both fried our clutches with the nitrous. Oh and i wasnt saying its impossable to get a 2.1 60foot but it does take a decent driver to get that #.

Yeah, nitrous definately fried the clutch, but i did have 89K miles on the original clutch and it just couldnt handle the shot. I dont rag on her much, and ive only sprayed twice since the new clutch. The impression you gave me was that you ragged on it/were hard on it, so that why i was saying how you would go through the tranny fast. The exedy/ACT just grabs so much harder. If you drive normally with an occasional race here and there, i see no reason why the tranny would give out....

Eric